Louise Farrenc

Started by Ten thumbs, November 17, 2007, 09:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Well, time to bring this thread TTT after a year in hibernation -  ;D

Just acquired and am now listening to the disc below - Piano Trios & Sextet w/ the Linos Ensemble (who also perform in her Piano Quintets on CPO); comments about her life & career made previously.  This disc was recommended in the GMG forum and also has received a strong endorsement from Scott on Amazon HERE!

So, any new experiences or acquisitions of Farrenc's music to discuss or recommend?  :)

jhar26

I recently bought the two CPO discs with the symphonies and overtures. She's very good in my opinion. Personally I'm impressed the most with symphony No.2.
Martha doesn't signal when the orchestra comes in, she's just pursing her lips.

SonicMan46

Quote from: jhar26 on April 05, 2010, 12:59:35 PM
I recently bought the two CPO discs with the symphonies and overtures. She's very good in my opinion. Personally I'm impressed the most with symphony No.2.

Glad to see this thread come to life again!  ;D   Still own the 4 discs posted previously - have not checked to see 'what' new may have appeared in the interim, but would be curious!   :)

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: Harry on November 17, 2007, 09:24:55 AM
That was not a normal thing for a woman in that time.

It was as normal then as it is now.

SonicMan46

Below is a post that I just left in the 'listening thread' - thought a duplication here would be appropriate:

Farrenc, Louise (1804-1875) - Piano Works w/ Konstanze Eickhorst (recorded in 2002); rather brief Fanfare review from 2004, which I find rather dismissive & chauvinistic, but I don't know the reviewer that well - this is my 6th disc of Farrenc's music (all on the CPO label); the playing is persuasive and sympathetic, and the sound recording of the piano excellent.  The music is quite pleasant and varied - no not Chopin or Liszt (or other males of the time), but Louise was a MAJOR female composer in the 19th century, a difficult accomplishment - for those getting into Clara & Fanny, this gal is certainly another consideration for this era -  :D

Quote FARRENC  Air russe varié, op. 17. Piano Etudes, op. 26/19, 7, 4, 10, 8, 30, 3, 12. Valse brillante, op. 48. Nocturne, op. 49. Variations brillantes, op. 15  •  Konstanze Eickhorst (pf)  •  cpo 999 879-2 (60:00)
  Paris born Louise Farrenc (1804–1875)—her married name; she was born Jeanne–Louise Dumont—was a pianist and a teacher, so it's not surprising that the music here is idiomatically written for the instrument, and is very sympathetically played by Konstanze Eickhorst, who has been well recorded.
  Put simply, Farrenc's music, certainly this choice from it, is pleasing without suggesting itself as particularly individual or memorable. One could cite Haydn, Mozart, Mendelssohn, and Chopin as all being in there somewhere; or one can borrow the booklet note's mention of Hummel, Moscheles, and Reicha—the latter was Farrenc's teacher—as another group of references.
  I imagine that anyone with a very specific interest in the piano and the era in which Farrenc lived will find this an attractive release. Otherwise, this likeable, fluently written music will pass an hour pleasantly. Colin Anderson

Ten thumbs

Quote from: SonicMan on March 26, 2011, 02:35:36 PM
Below is a post that I just left in the 'listening thread' - thought a duplication here would be appropriate:

Farrenc, Louise (1804-1875) - Piano Works w/ Konstanze Eickhorst (recorded in 2002); rather brief Fanfare review from 2004, which I find rather dismissive & chauvinistic, but I don't know the reviewer that well - this is my 6th disc of Farrenc's music (all on the CPO label); the playing is persuasive and sympathetic, and the sound recording of the piano excellent.  The music is quite pleasant and varied - no not Chopin or Liszt (or other males of the time), but Louise was a MAJOR female composer in the 19th century, a difficult accomplishment - for those getting into Clara & Fanny, this gal is certainly another consideration for this era -  :D

Thank you for posting this. I don't have this CD but its on my list. Its a pity that none of her piano music is available on IMSLP, even more so as many of her editions of CPE Bach's sonatas can be found there. The work she and her husband did in rescuing work from that earlier period is something we should be forever grateful for.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

snyprrr

Quote from: SonicMan on September 10, 2008, 03:31:23 PM
Well, I'd like to revive this thread on Louise Farrenc (1804-1875), who I've just discovered - must have missed this thread on its first appearance, but a month or so back, I acquired the Piano Quintets, Op. 30 & 31 - just marvelous on the CPO label; so decided to obtain some more of her orchestral compositions, i.e. the Symphonies, Nos. 1-3 & Overtures, also on CPO w/ the ever productive Goritzki!  Listening to these CDs while typing - symphonies composed in the 1840s!

Amazing gal - brilliant pianist, excellent teacher (only female professor in the 19th century @ the Paris Conservatoire), and composer of about 50 works w/ Opus numbers - sad personal life w/ an only daughter dying to TB in her early 30s (an outstanding pianist & budding composer) - short but good Wiki Article HERE - the CPO liner notes are extensive & excellent!

I'd like to acquire some more chamber works & also some solo piano compositions - so bring on the recommendations, please!  :D

I was just listening to a few mvmts. from that PQ disc. I definitely noticed a 'professional' quality in the piano writing, and the pieces certainly have vitality: accomplished, I would call it; but, the memorability factor is missing for me. Still, very solid writing. Thankfully, the gender factor wasn't an issue whilst listening, but now, I'm thinking about it, and I must say, that my initial reaction was nice, neat, and tidy, and professional/businesslike,... very pruned and picked,... maybe fussy?? :o I don't know, perhaps one can hear her femininity in the music?

Still, I neeeed BigTunes! ::)

Ten thumbs

Quote from: snyprrr on March 31, 2011, 08:56:28 AM
I was just listening to a few mvmts. from that PQ disc. I definitely noticed a 'professional' quality in the piano writing, and the pieces certainly have vitality: accomplished, I would call it; but, the memorability factor is missing for me. Still, very solid writing. Thankfully, the gender factor wasn't an issue whilst listening, but now, I'm thinking about it, and I must say, that my initial reaction was nice, neat, and tidy, and professional/businesslike,... very pruned and picked,... maybe fussy?? :o I don't know, perhaps one can hear her femininity in the music?

I can see your point about big tunes but if you want big tunes from a lady that do stick in your mind, try Alice Mary Smith. One thing I don't agree on though is that in all my investigation of music by woman I find them in general to be more direct, more emotional and far less fussy than the men.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

Grazioso

Quote from: snyprrr on March 31, 2011, 08:56:28 AM

Try the symphonies, which can sound rather Beethovenian in their vigor, assertiveness, and drama--no doilies or needlework in sight. They are, dare I say, rather macho ;D

http://www.youtube.com/v/KYIX21blNmE
http://www.youtube.com/v/Fnqcw8cE0zA
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Leo K.

I am enjoying, thanks to this forum, the music of Louise Farrenc immensely!

I've heard the 1st symphony so far from this recording:

And the Piano Quintet no.1 in A minor.

The music is very articulate and romantic in the grand sense. The sound of her musical construction and melodic material capture my attention.

SonicMan46

Farrenc - TTT after 9 years - WOW!  ???

Starting the 'Fs' in my classic collection review - have added the first two CDs below (now up to a half dozen, most shown in previous posts): 1) Nonet, Op. 38 & Clarinet Trio, Op. 44 w/ Consortium Classicum (review attached); and 2) Piano Quintets, Op. 30 & 31 w/ Quintetto Bottesini - this recording replaced my older one with the Linos Ensemble; the newer one is from 2013 and sound/performance superb (excellent review); Farrenc uses a double bass in place of a violin in these quintets.  The Violin Sonatas, Op. 37 & 39 are playing on Spotify at the moment and quite enjoyable.  Looking on Amazon, there are some options in the Symphonies, although the Goritzki discs which I own are fine to my ears.  There were also some new 'piano recordings' with Biliana Tzinlikova and Joanne Polk - will have to listen on Spotify, both available.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Well, there was some renewed interest in Louise Farrenc in the 'listening thread' the last few days which prompted me to visit Amazon to see if anything 'new' may have appeared - also, I listened to the Wind Sextet/Trios shown below on Spotify this morning (good review attached), however, the 2-CD set contains just 80+mins of music, an additional trio could have been added easily - in addition, my Linos Ensemble CD has the Sextet/Two Trios (one the same) at 79 mins!

But I went ahead and ordered the other 2 CDs (reviews also included in the attachment) - on the piano disc, Dubins absolutely raved about the music and Joanne Polk's performance - so ups my collection to 8 CDs (one is an MP3 DL).  I could have put this post in the 'purchases thread' but likely would have disappeared quickly w/ few if any comments; here, at least those coming to this thread will see the additional recordings and the reviews.  Dave :)

Papy Oli

Olivier

Jo498

The mentions of Farrenc made me listen to the cpo disc with piano quintets and I was very pleasantly surprised. I must have listened to that disc a few times years ago but did not remember much about it. I have only one more CD, again cpo/Linos with sextet and trios and another trio coupled with Berwald but I'll listen to them in the next few days. For some reason I thought I should have the nonet (because I am comparably fond of such mixed chamber music) but apparently I never got around buying a recording or it is shelved differently because of a coupling.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

SonicMan46

Re-Posts - in recent days I've left a number of Farrenc posts in the 'listening thread' which included review attachments - I'm planning to post them here w/ the reviews so these will be available to those interested in her - Dave :)

QuoteFarrenc, Louise (1804-1875) - Symphonies w/ Goritzki & NDR Radiophilharmonie which are in my Farrenc collection of about 8 discs.  Louise seems to be receiving much more overdued attention, i.e. there are now two other sets of her symphonies (single discs shown below) - listened to one of each on Spotify this morning; all sounded fine to me although the Goritzki recordings are 20+ years old - reviews are attached that don't convince me at the moment of replacing what I own; Equilbey's CD is the newest recording and the reviews are not from the usual sources, plus I assume more is to be recorded?  I'll sit tight until released.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Another re-post on here chamber works w/ reviews attached - Dave :)

QuoteFarrenc, Louise (1804-75) - Chamber Works w/ the performers on the cover art - I decided to spend much of the day w/ my modest array of this female French composer; the only other woman in my collection w/ a similar number of discs (7) is Amy Beach - works include Piano Trios/Quintets, Sextet, Nonet, and Violin Sonatas; still have a couple of solo piano discs to play - reviews attached for those interested.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Farrenc's Nonet - the Nonet that I owned was w/ Dieter Klöcker and the Consortium Classicum and was purchased as a MP3 download  (DL) years ago; well, yesterday numerous glitches were present on listening, so I searched for a 'new' recording and decided to buy the Ambache Chamber Ensemble as a WAV DL from Qobuz for $10 USD; burned to a CD-R and playing beautifully this morning on my den speakers - its contents are shown below; single reviews of each are attached for those interested - now, there are some other 'Nonets' available but the other pieces included may not please or be desired?  Dave :)

SonicMan46

This afternoon, listening to Farrenc's Piano Works - see re-post below from the 'listening thread' w/ review attachment - from her Wiki Bio HERE, I count just over 30 Opus works in her piano oeuvre, so much more could be recorded.  Dave :)

QuoteFarrenc, Louise - Piano Works w/ Joanne Polk (from 2019) and Konstanze Eickhorst (2002); I do not own the third recording shown which includes mainly 'variations' (assume similar to transcriptions); of the two in my collections, there is some overlap w/ the Air russe varié, Op. 17 and the Etudes, Op. 26 - I'd probably recommend the Polk if just one is desired (see Dubins comments) - reviews of all attached.  Dave :)

Brian

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brian on July 27, 2021, 06:51:27 AM
New interview with conductor Laurence Equilbey:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/articles/4128--interview-laurence-equilbey-on-louise-farrenc

Thanks Brian for the link above - will await the release of Equilbey's next Farrenc recording and see what the reviewers say!  Dave :)