Author Topic: Tallis titillation  (Read 5706 times)

Offline haydnguy

• Currently Listening to:
    Starting a Wagner project for the second half of year.
Re: Tallis titillation
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 07:41:45 AM »
!!!!

Already in the cabinet. Haven't listened yet.

Offline FideLeo

• Veteran member
  • 2 HIPs Hooray! ^_^
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 08:32:02 AM »

It is nice not to have to start or end any Tallis collection with yet another Spem :)

Also a great chance to hear similar works by the great teacher and his greatest pupil.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2021, 09:28:09 AM »
Bump. (12 years later...)

Yesterday I picked up this recording at HPB for $1...:

It sounds incredible! Anyway, this is the first and only Tallis in my library, and my interest is piqued. What are some other great recordings of Tallis's music? Perhaps the Scholars have some other worthy recordings?

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2021, 09:39:37 AM »
Bump. (12 years later...)

Yesterday I picked up this recording at HPB for $1...:

It sounds incredible! Anyway, this is the first and only Tallis in my library, and my interest is piqued. What are some other great recordings of Tallis's music? Perhaps the Scholars have some other worthy recordings?

The Tallis Scholars have a 2 disc set (Gimmel) to celebrate the 500th anniversary of Tallis' birth (2005). There is also a 2 disc set from Decca of King's College Cambridge Choir but some of the recordings date back to 1961 - it depends on whether you like the King's sound. For choirs of boys & men I prefer Winchester Cathedral Choir and they have recorded a couple of Tallis albums with David Hill.

The Chapelle du Roi under Alistair Dixon have recorded the complete works, available in a Brilliant box; probably best to sample it (if you can) before taking the plunge