Cellphones in concerts

Started by Siedler, April 21, 2007, 01:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: knight on April 22, 2007, 11:34:16 PM
Sideways insertion into an orifice of the phone's owner should smother the noise somewhat. It probably takes longer than 30 seconds, but the others will be making sure they know the phone is 'off' next time they dodder in.

Mike - LOL -  ;D   I would also suggest leaving the battery charger attached - might 'singe' some hairs in the appropriate orifice -  ;D ;) :)

Siedler

Quote from: Rabin_Fan on April 23, 2007, 05:48:21 AM
My ringtone is unique so far - I made a WAV file of my Hagai Shaham CD of Hubay's music. It is on Hyperion CDA674412. It is track 10 of CD 2 (the Poemes Hongrois Op 27 No 6 (of 1885) in B flat major). If you hear it in the concert hall, I'm the guilty party.

What are your unique ring-tones - fellow forum posters?

I have the CTU ring tone (from the tv show 24), it's minimalistic and doesn't get on my nerves. Plus it's cool (you recognize it if you watch 24).  ;D

bhodges

Geek confession: my cell ring used to be a twelve-tone row from Berg's Lulu.  Now I've scrapped all melodic material and am using a simpler ring: a soft "ding" sound, separated by 2-3 seconds each time.  I like it because it's discreet. 

Some of the pre-set ringer choices that came bundled with the phone are so atrocious they're funny, e.g., a version of "Singin' in the Rain" that sounds as if it is being sung by R2D2 from Star Wars, and a chirpy, ill-conceived, all-synthesizer theme from Schubert's "Trout" Quintet.

--Bruce

Charles

Quote from: bhodges on April 23, 2007, 10:25:54 AM
Geek confession: my cell ring used to be a twelve-tone row from Berg's Lulu
--Bruce

Gotta love that!  ;D  I remember !   :)

Charles

bhodges

Quote from: Charles on April 23, 2007, 10:31:26 AM
Gotta love that!  ;D  I remember !   :)

Charles

;D  Even geekier: I had five or six different tone rows -- mostly Berg, but at least one by Webern -- from which to choose.  ;D

PS, here they are, on a site created by Center for Computer Assisted Research in the Humanities, that I found on www.themefinder.org.

--Bruce

knight66

Bruce,

You are a walking work of art! I am afraid I have the ring tone that the phone arrived with. Relatively inoffensive in comparison to some. I treat the thing as a bit of an enemy, so I am not about to pamper it with special ring tones....it will get above itself.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

bhodges

Quote from: knight on April 23, 2007, 11:13:45 AM
I treat the thing as a bit of an enemy, so I am not about to pamper it with special ring tones....it will get above itself.

Mike

Heh-heh..."The Wary Cellphone User"... 

My two cents: I think a phone should do nothing more than "alert you to a call."  I don't really want to hear any "music" as such.  While the Berg was a fun experiment, I much prefer some kind of a nondescript "ringing" sound, e.g., beeps, or something else that sounds like...a phone. 

--Bruce

Drasko

Quote from: bhodges on April 23, 2007, 11:34:11 AM
I much prefer some kind of a nondescript "ringing" sound

like this one?

oyasumi

Quote from: knight on April 22, 2007, 08:52:58 AM
Quote "why don't you try thinking about why these annoying things happen, instead of dismissing it with "people are rude" or whatever."

I have thought about it and have come to the conclusion that they don't give a damn about the people around them, they want to chat on the phone and if it means speaking loudly and disturbing those around them, they clearly don't give a stuff.

Thank you.

Mike

I can just see you feeling so satisfied putting the italics in "you" there at the end...well, there goes my point.

Quote from: Grazioso on April 23, 2007, 03:22:50 AM
I have indeed thought about why these annoying things happen, and it has little or nothing to do with adapting to new technology. The essence of manners is making others around you comfortable and showing respect for them and their needs and wishes (insofar as all that is compatible with the dictates of morality). Any person with a respect for others can see that having his phone go off and then yakking into it during a performance is rude to performers and audience alike: it's a selfish, inconsiderate act. It has nothing to do with any complexity or novelty of the device in question, which is, after all, just a telephone.

In my lifetime (never mind over that last couple generations--ask your parents and grandparents), rudeness or incivility have indeed risen. Good manners and class or breeding have indeed declined. That's simply a sad fact--nothing cynical about it.

I don't think breeding has declined. Anyway, your "sad fact" should be given some thought.

btpaul674

Just tonight I was at a concert at The Ohio State University where Gilead Mishory was giving a concert on his "Lider-Togbuch" after poems by Abraham Sutzkever. It was interrupted by a nice cell phone interlude.

knight66

Quote from: oyasumi on April 23, 2007, 04:51:53 PM
I can just see you feeling so satisfied putting the italics in "you" there at the end...well, there goes my point.

I am glad I made my point clear to you. There was an assumption that because people don't agree with you, that they had not thought things through, not necessarily so.

Mike

DavidW

Quote from: Siedler on April 21, 2007, 01:01:17 PM
Have you been a victim of this kind of cellular terrorism?

Are you talking about aging? ;) :D

Mozart

I hate when people have classical music ringtones. I was at the market one day and a lady's phone rang the queen of the night. When she got of the phone I walked by her and said "How dare you". It was a great moment in my life.

knight66

I am sure she was suitably chastened.

Mike

Don

Quote from: Mozart on May 10, 2007, 10:45:41 AM
I hate when people have classical music ringtones. I was at the market one day and a lady's phone rang the queen of the night. When she got of the phone I walked by her and said "How dare you". It was a great moment in my life.

You might have loved the moment, but you were the one being rude.  Keep doing it and someone will eventually knock a couple of your teeth out.

Mozart

Quote from: knight on May 10, 2007, 11:22:45 AM
I am sure she was suitably chastened.

Mike

We can only pray.

QuoteYou might have loved the moment, but you were the one being rude.  Keep doing it and someone will eventually knock a couple of your teeth out.

It was improvised, I can never do it again. Well not in the same way anyways. If I should happen to get a couple of teeth knocked out I can always move to canada and score some hotties there. The less teeth the better, just wait till im 75!

Bunny

Mahler 2nd, Carnegie Hall.  Cellphone rings during the final minutes of the 1st movement!  No joke.  It destroyed the moment. >:(

bhodges

Quote from: Bunny on May 10, 2007, 12:45:18 PM
Mahler 2nd, Carnegie Hall.  Cellphone rings during the final minutes of the 1st movement!  No joke.  It destroyed the moment. >:(

I heard it, too, even up in the rafters.  People were glancing around angrily...

Carnegie made a slight error at the beginning: the audio announcement (currently a ringing sound followed by "please turn off your cell phones and other electronic devices") is usually delivered after the lights are dimmed, when the crowd is quiet.  Unfortunately it came when people were still in the process of being seated, and it was completely drowned out by the normal audience sounds at the time.  (I'm not crazy about starting each concert with these verbal announcements, but unfortunately I do think they help.)

--Bruce

m_gigena

Quote from: bhodges on April 23, 2007, 10:25:54 AM
Some of the pre-set ringer choices that came bundled with the phone are so atrocious they're funny, e.g., a version of "Singin' in the Rain" that sounds as if it is being sung by R2D2 from Star Wars, and a chirpy, ill-conceived, all-synthesizer theme from Schubert's "Trout" Quintet.

I hate those too. That's why I create my own ringtones... Like this Shosty I used recently (I changed it to Marc-AndrĂ© Hamelin's Irritation waltz: a waltz on a nokia tune  ;D).

m_gigena

Here's the Hamelin.