Cellphones in concerts

Started by Siedler, April 21, 2007, 01:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on June 30, 2007, 02:26:58 PM
Yes, At the Messiah last year a family were sitting in front of us and the teenage daughter, about 14, read a book through the whole thing. I don't think she looked up once. Sad :(

Mebbe she was following the score.

My solution to the cell phone brouhaha is simple: I don't have one. I periodically find occasions when one might have been useful, but each time I've solved my problem in another way. Maybe I will eventually break down and buy one, but I keep putting it off and am none the worse for it.

Bunny

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 13, 2007, 10:51:02 PM
or, build a huge Faraday's cage around music buildings, so they will not get any signal.
Quote from: knight on May 14, 2007, 06:11:07 AM
Then hundreds of people who need transplants will die!

No, plain old removal of body parts should do it.

Mike

The offenders should be forced to donate the needed organs. Muahahaha >:D

Actually, the mother in the story was carrying the cellphone in her shoulderbag so she couldn't feel it vibrate and certainly couldn't hear it vibrating either.  If the phone is set to vibrate, then you need to keep it close to the body to feel the vibrations, otherwise why bother? 

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on July 03, 2007, 04:59:39 AM
Mebbe she was following the score.

My solution to the cell phone brouhaha is simple: I don't have one. I periodically find occasions when one might have been useful, but each time I've solved my problem in another way. Maybe I will eventually break down and buy one, but I keep putting it off and am none the worse for it.

I never wanted a cellphone until my car was rear-ended on 85th and Park Avenue in NYC.  My young daughter was whiplashed (as was I), crying and in great distress.  The muffler was scraping the pavement, EMS were taking her out of the car on a backboard and none of the doormen would let me into a building to make a call to my husband or to get the car towed so that I could accompany her to the hospital.  Eventually the police showed up, a tow truck came and then I rushed to the emergency room to find her.  I got a cell phone the next day, and have not been without one since.   They can be the devil -- keeping you in touch with people you would rather not talk to, but they can also be a real lifesaver.  I'm glad they were invented, but they should be in silent mode in any theater.

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: The Mad Hatter on July 01, 2007, 03:37:24 AM
Nah, no hope. Have you ever heard the Rite from ten feet away? It's loud. I imagine she had a son or daughter playing in the orchestra (it was the National Youth Orchestra of Ireland), but little interest in classical music.

Solitary Wanderer: at least she was reading - a lot of fourteen-year-olds don't. And who knows, she may grow into classical music at a later stage.

She was looking through a school year book, 'cause I was looking over her shoulder :) But you're right, the music may have been sinking in...

Quote from: Bunny on July 03, 2007, 04:38:19 PM
The offenders should be forced to donate the needed organs. Muahahaha >:D

Actually, the mother in the story was carrying the cellphone in her shoulderbag so she couldn't feel it vibrate and certainly couldn't hear it vibrating either.  If the phone is set to vibrate, then you need to keep it close to the body to feel the vibrations, otherwise why bother? 

I never wanted a cellphone until my car was rear-ended on 85th and Park Avenue in NYC.  My young daughter was whiplashed (as was I), crying and in great distress.  The muffler was scraping the pavement, EMS were taking her out of the car on a backboard and none of the doormen would let me into a building to make a call to my husband or to get the car towed so that I could accompany her to the hospital.  Eventually the police showed up, a tow truck came and then I rushed to the emergency room to find her.  I got a cell phone the next day, and have not been without one since.   They can be the devil -- keeping you in touch with people you would rather not talk to, but they can also be a real lifesaver.  I'm glad they were invented, but they should be in silent mode in any theater.

Yes, I resisted getting a cellphone for years. Then I had a major stuff-up with a client and a cellphone would've saved the day so I bought two phones the following day; one for me and one for my wife.

They're great for keeping in touch and more importantly; emergencies! Hopefully you won't need it for that but if you do...

I'm always mindful to switch mine off when we go out or if we have company because if they ring then they're a pain >:(
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Novi

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on July 03, 2007, 04:59:39 AM

Yes, but Larry, that doesn't stop the moron next to you from answering his phone in the middle of a Bruckner adagio ... only stops you from being that moron ;D.

(Actually, I don't have one either ;) - Luddites unite!).
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Wanderer

Bump. Any cellphones in concerts recently? 😁

londonrich

The LSO had their first concert back at the Barbican Hall with an audience yesterday, their first in well over a year. Of course, a mobile phone rang!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CPDmkMJI6ri/