Music for Advent and Christmas

Started by Harry, November 20, 2007, 02:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Christmas is a very important and festive period in my life to which I attach great importance.
First it is a religious thing for me, and secondly it unites people, even if it is for the duration of three days.
One of the things that is also a treat for me, is finding new Christmas cd's, and browsing after it is great fun.
Will post here my first findings, and urge you to do also, and tell your feelings about Christmas, better still...

Harry

Christmas music..

springrite

I used to love Christmas. But the commericalisation of Christmas has made it less appealing than it was, and I can do without a month worth of relentless Christmas music.

That said, I do listen to the Christmas Orotario every year and enjoy it immensely. Actually, I do listen to Christmas music more than that. I just do not listen to any of the usual suspects (minus the Christmas Orotario, if it is considered by some to be one).

Harry

Quote from: springrite on November 20, 2007, 02:38:10 AM
I used to love Christmas. But the commericalisation of Christmas has made it less appealing than it was, and I can do without a month worth of relentless Christmas music.

That said, I do listen to the Christmas Orotario every year and enjoy it immensely. Actually, I do listen to Christmas music more than that. I just do not listen to any of the usual suspects (minus the Christmas Orotario, if it is considered by some to be one).

Yes I understand that, but the feast has a deep religious meaning to me, and the music I buy does not come from the so called Bing Crosby heap, but is carefully arranged music to heighten the spirit towards the birth of Christ. :)

karlhenning

Quote from: springrite on November 20, 2007, 02:38:10 AM

You have an entirely valid complaint, but (from my perspective) you're conflating a couple of distinct matters.  For folks like Harry and me, the commercialization all around us does not change the actual meaning of Christmas.  But we heartily agree with you, that (a) no one needs all the stupid music that is purveyed, nor (b) does anyone need it this early and this often.

springrite

Let's all play the Christmas Orotario on Christmas Eve then!

johnQpublic

Over the last goodly number of years I have listened to seven days' worth of Classical Christmas music leading up to the big day itself.

This year with much of my collection in storage and the real possibility of traveling during that time period I will not be doing so.  :(

Carry the torch for me Harry.

Harry

Quote from: johnQpublic on November 20, 2007, 04:51:01 AM
Over the last goodly number of years I have listened to seven days' worth of Classical Christmas music leading up to the big day itself.

This year with much of my collection in storage and the real possibility of traveling during that time period I will not be doing so.  :(

Carry the torch for me Harry.

That I will certainly do my friend..... :)
Out of necessity, I have to start at least three weeks before Christmas, to give all the music a spin once, and maybe if I am lucky twice..

Harry

Harry Collier

Christmas Eve has always meant for me:

a) A bottle of very good wine.
b) A large Bach work (usually Mass in B minor, or St Matthew Passion).

Norbeone

Quote from: Harry Collier on November 20, 2007, 07:15:02 AM

I'm much the same, and thus the christmas two years ago was particularly special, with BBC Radio 3 playing every Bach work non-stop for two weeks over christmas. It felt almost like it was meant just for me!

:D

Harry

Quote from: Norbeone on November 20, 2007, 07:24:38 AM
I'm much the same, and thus the christmas two years ago was particularly special, with BBC Radio 3 playing every Bach work non-stop for two weeks over christmas. It felt almost like it was meant just for me!

:D

I remember this much advertised event, I was at that time in London for some business, and a few of my colleagues, also into classical music were listening to it, between meetings, and talk incessantly about it....
Would be nice if they repeated that again with another composer. :)

Harry

Quote from: Harry Collier on November 20, 2007, 07:15:02 AM

Sounds perfect to me....

pjme

This is a great CD - it really has the feeling of a community singing together for Christmas - and the music is absolutely beautiful , from simple chants to a magnificent (thunderous organ) conclusion.

Another favorite :

Very touching in its naiveté - shepherds, hurdy gurdy, bells and bleating sheep....

karlhenning

Quote from: Harry on November 20, 2007, 08:44:23 AM
Sounds perfect to me....

The Passion on Christmas Eve, perfect?  ;)

Harry, check e-mail;  I tried to send PM but it failed.

pjme

Indeed very strange - The Passion at Christmas...!

I expect joy and mystery!

Listen to Frank Martin's 3 chants de NOel - soprano, flute and piano. On Jecklin Disco : Elly Ameling and the composer , on DGG Anne Sofie Von Otter

They sound deceptively simple and almost "rustic", yet the mystery is exquisitely evoked , the joy almost exuberant in the last song ( Il n'était pas plutot minuit...).

RebLem

You might want to consider three albums of Christmas music conducted by a conductor/priest named Georg Ratzinger, who also happens to be Pope Benedict's older brother.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/albumList.jsp?name_id1=58235&name_role1=3&bcorder=3
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

Heather Harrison

I get very tired of the nasty Christmas music that they play in the stores for a longer and longer time each year; it tends to drive me out of the stores at this time of year because I find it so annoying.  (Although I do enjoy parodies, such as those found on the Dr. Demento Christmas compilations.)

That said, much of the Christmas repertoire in classical music is very appealing to me, and I listen to it fairly often.  I have many CDs of Christmas songs (mostly of Renaissance vintage) and larger-scale religious works that are sometimes associated with Christmas.  I don't tend to listen to them any more or less often at this time of year; good music is worth listening to at any time.

Heather

marvinbrown

Quote from: Harry on November 20, 2007, 02:10:28 AM
Christmas is a very important and festive period in my life to which I attached great importance.
First it is a religious thing for me, and secondly it unites people, even if it is for the duration of three days.
One of the things that is also a treat for me, is finding new Christmas cd's, and browsing after it is great fun.
Will post here my first findings, and urge you to do also, and tell your feelings about Christmas, better still...

Harry don't forget to play J.S. Bach's Christmas Oratorio- essential listening!

marvin

Harry

Quote from: marvinbrown on November 20, 2007, 01:55:55 PM
  Harry don't forget to play J.S. Bach's Christmas Oratorio- essential listening!

marvin

That is a constant visitor to my cd player every year Marvin..... :)