The Music Room > General Classical Music Discussion

Music for Advent and Christmas

(1/99) > >>

Harry:
Christmas is a very important and festive period in my life to which I attach great importance.
First it is a religious thing for me, and secondly it unites people, even if it is for the duration of three days.
One of the things that is also a treat for me, is finding new Christmas cd's, and browsing after it is great fun.
Will post here my first findings, and urge you to do also, and tell your feelings about Christmas, better still...

Harry:
Christmas music..

springrite:
I used to love Christmas. But the commericalisation of Christmas has made it less appealing than it was, and I can do without a month worth of relentless Christmas music.

That said, I do listen to the Christmas Orotario every year and enjoy it immensely. Actually, I do listen to Christmas music more than that. I just do not listen to any of the usual suspects (minus the Christmas Orotario, if it is considered by some to be one).

Harry:

--- Quote from: springrite on November 20, 2007, 03:38:10 AM ---I used to love Christmas. But the commericalisation of Christmas has made it less appealing than it was, and I can do without a month worth of relentless Christmas music.

That said, I do listen to the Christmas Orotario every year and enjoy it immensely. Actually, I do listen to Christmas music more than that. I just do not listen to any of the usual suspects (minus the Christmas Orotario, if it is considered by some to be one).

--- End quote ---

Yes I understand that, but the feast has a deep religious meaning to me, and the music I buy does not come from the so called Bing Crosby heap, but is carefully arranged music to heighten the spirit towards the birth of Christ. :)

karlhenning:

--- Quote from: springrite on November 20, 2007, 03:38:10 AM ---I used to love Christmas. But the commericalisation of Christmas has made it less appealing than it was, and I can do without a month worth of relentless Christmas music.
--- End quote ---

You have an entirely valid complaint, but (from my perspective) you're conflating a couple of distinct matters.  For folks like Harry and me, the commercialization all around us does not change the actual meaning of Christmas.  But we heartily agree with you, that (a) no one needs all the stupid music that is purveyed, nor (b) does anyone need it this early and this often.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version