Music for Advent and Christmas

Started by Harry, November 20, 2007, 02:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Here is what has been "decorating" our cd tray:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

rubio

Quote from: Bogey on December 16, 2007, 08:17:57 AM

How are these two, Bogey? I know the Boston Camerata usually are very good when it comes to early music, but what about the Baroque Christmas (where I would guess the competition is stiff)?
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Bogey

Quote from: rubio on December 16, 2007, 08:31:38 AM
How are these two, Bogey? I know the Boston Camerata usually are very good when it comes to early music, but what about the Baroque Christmas (where I would guess the competition is stiff)?

The baroque really is a wonderful disc...Monteverdi, Purcell, Charpentier, etc.  Some pieces only vocal, others only instrumental, and others both.  My wife purchases one Christmas disc a year (no more than two), so she samples pretty heavily before buying one.  Make sure you sample this one though to ensure that it lines up with your taste  :):

http://www.amazon.com/Baroque-Christmas-Daniel-McCabe/dp/B000005J0W/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1197827288&sr=8-4
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Harry

Quote from: Bogey on December 16, 2007, 08:17:57 AM

That is really a fine array of Christmas music, and I would not mind to listen in, behind your tree......

ChamberNut

Does anyone have any recommendations for chamber ensembles of Christmas music?

And does anyone here have the "Rejoice! A String Quartet Christmas", which features all string quartet Christmas music?  I think there are 3 volumes.

johnQpublic

Quote from: Harry on December 16, 2007, 08:50:31 AMI would not mind to listen in, behind your tree......

Yeek Gads! Harry's a Christmas music stalker ... or an aural version of a "Peeping Tom". :D

PS: I have found enough LPs and CDs to cobble 5 programs of Classical music appropriate for the season. So the fun begins on Thursday.

techniquest

Music I shall be listening to for the next seven days (and only this week as I listen to it at no other time) includes:
Hely-Hutchinson: A Carol Symphony
Vaughan Williams: Hodie (the lovely new Naxos recording)
Arnold: Fantasy on Christmas Carols
What about you? Is there a piece that you reserve for the festive period, or a seasonal piece which you particularly enjoy...

hornteacher

not edward

Honegger's Cantate de Noel is an extremely fine work, IMO.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

MahlerSnob

If you have a chance, I'd recommend checking out John Adam's oratorio El Niño.

SonicMan46

Well, check out the 'classical' & 'non-classical' musical threads - I've posted about 16 CDs of a variety of 'seasonal' CDs that might be of interest; I have others (cantatas & oratorios) which I'll likely pull from the collection in the next week or so -  ;D

Novi

Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

not edward

Quote from: Novitiate on December 19, 2007, 09:37:55 PM
Schönberg, Friede auf Erden
Not to mention his exceptionally beautiful Weihnachtsmusik.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

val

Other suggestions, from French composers:

Claude Balbastre's 4 Suites de Noel, played by Olivier Baumont in organ and harpsichord. It is a very nice music, based on popular canticles.
Or, Poulenc's Motets "pour le temps de Noel" and his beautiful "Un soir de neige".

For those who are in a bad mood or are concerned by the several wars in the planet, I would suggest Debussy's "Noel des enfants qui n'ont plus de maison".

johnQpublic

Tis the Season ........ Day 1

Victoria - O magnum mysterium (Shaw/Telarc)
Corselli - Recitative & Aria (Oye a tres Sabios Reyes) from "Cantada de Navidad" (Rial/Glossa)
Schubert - Der Winterabend (Fischer-Dieskau/EMI)
Frankel - Reflections on a Christmas Eve from "Symphony #8" (Albert/cpo)

Anne

Pavarotti's Christmas album.  It hauled me hook, line, and sinker right into classical music.

Mystery

Britten - Ceremony of Carols

Too obvious?

pjme

Of course not ! It is a lovely work. Heard it last Saturday in Utrecht's ( The Netherlands) Catharijneconvent-museum (for religious art).

http://www.catharijneconvent.nl/index.cfm/site/Home/pageid/8D9F3C5C-B736-3B2D-E9285C50C7CA74EC/index.cfm

Great exhibition on Polish paintings and sculptures

the museum was in Christmas mood ( they show also a Neapolitan "stable", with many little figurines).

The Utrecht Kodaly choir sang Britten's Ceremony (and a selection of carols + some works for solo harp) Excellent idea - great experience.

johnQpublic

Tis the Season ....... Day 2

LPs

Hoyoul - Gelobet seist du Jesu Christ (Ruhland/ABC)
Fulda - Dies est laeticae (Ruhland/ABC)
Palestrina - Canite tuba (Ledger/EMI)
Schutz - Christmas Story (Grischkat/Turnabout)

johnQpublic

Tis the Season ....... Day 3

Haydn - Introduction to "Winter" from "The Seasons" (Huss/Koch)
Stamitz - Sinfonia Pastorale, Op. 4, No. 2 (Ward/Naxos)
Fucik - Winter Storms Waltz (Neumann/Orfeo)
Vivaldi - Violin Concerto, RV 270 "Il riposo-per il Natale" (Biondi/Virgin)
Pez - Concerto Pastorale for 2 Recorders and Strings (Lucarelli/Fone)
Waldteufel - Skaters Waltz (Swierczewski/Nimbus)