Music for Advent and Christmas

Started by Harry, November 20, 2007, 02:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hildegard

Quote from: Harry on November 20, 2007, 02:10:28 AM
Christmas is a very important and festive period in my life to which I attached great importance.
First it is a religious thing for me, and secondly it unites people, even if it is for the duration of three days.
One of the things that is also a treat for me, is finding new Christmas cd's, and browsing after it is great fun.
Will post here my first findings, and urge you to do also, and tell your feelings about Christmas, better still...

Some of my favorites in addition to the Christmas Oratorio:

max

There used to be a collection of German Christmas music sung by Elizabeth Schwarzkoph. It  was great! Does anyone know if it's still around or even what album I'm talking about? It was ages ago and I haven't got a clue. ???

Harry

Quote from: hildegard on November 20, 2007, 07:22:04 PM
Some of my favorites in addition to the Christmas Oratorio:

Thank you Hildegard, they look a treasure.... :)

Anne

For years Pavarotti's Christmas album was all I needed for Christmas.  Then last year by accident I acquired Bach's Christmas Oratorio conducted by Jacobs.  Now I have two.

karlhenning

I can't really do Baroque instrumental, or large-scale, music for Christmas; just the way it is.

Norbeone

Tchaikovsky's amazingly beautiful and atmospheric Symphony No.1 'Winter Daydreams' is always a winner with me too.

Also, i've always found jazz pianist Bill Evans' music to be very chrismassy, so that will, too, find it's way seeping through my speakers at home or through my headphones as I walk around town.   :)

Harry

This one is new, and a very fine Christmas offering..

johnQpublic

UPDATE:

We're not traveling until the day after Xmas....so, now can I find in one of 4 storage units my classical Christmas discs?

Harry

Quote from: johnQpublic on December 06, 2007, 06:34:17 AM
UPDATE:

We're not traveling until the day after Xmas....so, now can I find in one of 4 storage units my classical Christmas discs?

I am looking forward to it..... :)

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Christmas, well... Now playing: 18. Mahalia Jackson [Sings Songs Of Christmas #11] - The First Noel

Harry

Quote from: Wurstwasser on December 06, 2007, 07:36:21 AM
Christmas, well... Now playing: 18. Mahalia Jackson [Sings Songs Of Christmas #11] - The First Noel

You are a early bird....... ;D

Harry

Seems to me there are little new releases this year concerning Christmas.
If you know of them please post them here, for I would love to add a few more to my collection.... :)

Harry

Well two superb releases from 2006 then....

c#minor

I am not much of a religious man but i can't help but enjoy Christmas. Bach for Christmas seems much more appetizing then standard "country Christmas music" at my home. If i hear one more person out of Nashville singing Jingle Bells i might become ill.

Debussy seems to do it for me around this time of year. It really puts my soul at ease and lets me just relax and take in the holidays.

Harry

This is in some ways nice, but the mix of songs is not that judicious...

stingo

I've been enjoying An American Christmas as performed by the Boston Camerata. It's a selection of carols, hymns and spirituals from 1770-1870, all performed with gusto.

ChamberNut

How about Mendelssohn's Symphony No. 2 Hymn of Praise

I know it's not necessarily "Christmas music", but I think it fits.

Also, I really love playing anything by Mozart around Christmas time for some reason.  :)

gomro

Quote from: Harry on November 20, 2007, 02:10:28 AM
Christmas is a very important and festive period in my life to which I attached great importance.
First it is a religious thing for me, and secondly it unites people, even if it is for the duration of three days.
One of the things that is also a treat for me, is finding new Christmas cd's, and browsing after it is great fun.
Will post here my first findings, and urge you to do also, and tell your feelings about Christmas, better still...

Rimsky-Korsakov's Christmas Eve, Howard Hanson's Dies Natalis, Honegger's Une Cantate de Noel: all somewhat more obscure pieces connected directly to the season.

Harry

Quote from: gomro on December 16, 2007, 01:15:44 AM
Rimsky-Korsakov's Christmas Eve, Howard Hanson's Dies Natalis, Honegger's Une Cantate de Noel: all somewhat more obscure pieces connected directly to the season.

RK Christmas Eve is indeed a fine seasonal piece of great splendour....

FideLeo

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 15, 2007, 09:48:24 AM
Also, I really love playing anything by Mozart around Christmas time for some reason.  :)

Biber's Rosary Sonatas are my Xmas music this year.  :)

ps. Add Monteverdi's Selva morale as well. 
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!