Music for Advent and Christmas

Started by Harry, November 20, 2007, 02:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

This is one of my favourite things, a CD called O admirabile commercium, a very early recording from Cappella Pratensis, it's good that it's found its way onto youtube

https://www.youtube.com/v/adLKtfMkPmM

Capella Pratensis have uploaded three short documentary videos on Obrecht's Missa Maria Zart, and about five minutes of a recording of the mass from a concert in Antwerp which I attended and didn't enjoy much. It's interesting they haven't released a recording of the mass, despite the huge investment they have clearly made, maybe they have come to think that the music eludes them.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Christo

My personal 'discovery' this year the hauntingly beautiful Magnificat & Nunc Dimittis (2014) by Latvian composer Ēriks Ešenvalds, my chamber choir dong the - perhaps - Dutch premiere coming Saturday (great fun to sing, even for a bass ;-):
https://www.youtube.com/v/j2s9KujfmXM
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Christo

And of course pieces like Ola Gjeilo's Ubi Caritas III ('Sacred Heart'), working very effective for a big audience that isn't accustomed to 'new music', but loves sonorities like these (& big fun to sing, dance even  :D):
https://www.youtube.com/v/QxpO_G1aovA&list=RDQxpO_G1aovA&start_radio=1
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on December 24, 2018, 09:28:02 AM
VW

Is it really that time of the year again? Will duly oblige.  0:)

SimonNZ

Searching for something else I see this image - which I don't think I've encountered before:

VonStupp

During the Advent season, I endlessly subject my family, friends, and coworkers to music. I figure where better to post.

VonStupp's 25 Days of Christmas
Played all of Dec. 1:

JS Bach
Weihnachts-Oratorium
Dresden Chamber Choir
Gewandhaus - Riccardo Chailly

I rarely see modern instrument Bach anymore, so I thought I would bring out the last Christmas Oratorio I heard with MI: Riccardo Chailly and Carolyn Sampson (et al.).

&

Bill Dobbins (arranger)
WDR Jazz Band & King's Singers

Bill Dobbins arranged Bach's Christmas Oratorio for The King's Singers and WDR Big Band. Not a favorite, but it is interesting to compare.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

VonStupp

Camille Saint‐Saëns
Oratorio de Noël

Ottorino Respighi
Lauda per la Natività del Signore

Anne Sophie Von Otter, et al.
Mikaeli Chamber Choir
The Royal Court Orchestra - Anders Eby

I think Saint‐Saëns Christmas Oratorio is gorgeous. The tune in the prelude is brought back in the quintet later on, and it is an outright winner.

This hybrid SACD of an early 80's recording with Swedish forces still sounds great.

Mirror Image

Two recordings I'll be spinning on Christmas:

VonStupp

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 02, 2021, 06:42:30 AM
Two recordings I'll be spinning on Christmas:

Nice! I love that VW one, but I don't think I have the Bernstein, even though it looks oddly familiar. Maybe we had it on LP in the golden days.

VS

Mirror Image

Quote from: VonStupp on December 02, 2021, 08:29:47 AM
Nice! I love that VW one, but I don't think I have the Bernstein, even though it looks oddly familiar. Maybe we had it on LP in the golden days.

VS

The Bernstein recording is fantastic. Someone on another forum suggested that the Leotyne Price Christmas album with Karajan is the best one ever recorded. I haven't heard it, have you?

VonStupp

Victor Hely-Hutchinson
A Carol Symphony

Bryan Kelly
Improvisations on Christmas Carols

Philip Lane
Wassail Dances

Patric Standford
A Christmas Carol Symphony

City of Prague PO - Gavin Sutherland

Running out of daylight, not to mention time to foist music on my family during Advent.

Wonderful, if you like British light music; I am quite partial to Philip Lane's arrangement of Bethlehem Down for string orchestra, but everything here is structured well, even if these are more Suites with each movement dedicated to a carol. Loads better than Pops medleys, for sure.

VonStupp

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 03, 2021, 06:35:26 AM
The Bernstein recording is fantastic. Someone on another forum suggested that the Leotyne Price Christmas album with Karajan is the best one ever recorded. I haven't heard it, have you?

I have not, but I am also uncertain how I feel about Price in this music. Her sound was always an acquired taste, perfect for certain roles though. Her voice turned swoopy in her later career, but the 1961 date bodes well.

I will definitely put these on my stocking-stuffer wish list! Hopefully not another year of coal... :'(

VS

Symphonic Addict

It seems that nobody has mentioned this symphony yet:

;D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

It doesn't get much better than Finzi's In terra pax - an absolutely lovely work full of the warmth and spirit of Christmas. On a larger scale, RVW's Hodie is a inspiriting and surprisingly overlooked cantata.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on December 03, 2021, 07:54:29 PM
It doesn't get much better than Finzi's In terra pax - an absolutely lovely work full of the warmth and spirit of Christmas. On a larger scale, RVW's Hodie is a inspiriting and surprisingly overlooked cantata.
+1 and also for Penderecki's 'Christmas Symphony'.
Rimsky-Korsakov's 'Christmas Eve Suite' comes to mind as does Bax's 'Christmas Eve in the Mountains'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

VonStupp

JS Bach
Christen, atzet diesen Tag, BWV 63

Felix Mendelssohn
Vom Himmel hoch, MWV A 10

Ralph Vaughan Williams
The First Nowell

London PO - Vladimir Jurowski

Modern Instrument Bach is always interesting to me when it appears nowadays, but paired with Mendelssohn's wonderful Christmas cantata Vom Himmel Hoch is an inspired comparison, since it is modeled on his belovèd former master's work.

VW's First Nowell is a beautiful companion to his Hodie.

An interesting recording from Jurowski during his tenure with the LPO. 

VS

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 03, 2021, 10:47:57 PM
+1 and also for Penderecki's 'Christmas Symphony'.
Rimsky-Korsakov's 'Christmas Eve Suite' comes to mind as does Bax's 'Christmas Eve in the Mountains'.
Haven't heard the Penderecki nor the Bax, but I enjoy the VW and the R-K!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Iota

I'll certainly be making time for this.

VonStupp

Arthur Honegger
Une cantate de Noël

London PO & Chorus - Vladimir Jurowski

As French Christmas cantatas go, Honegger doesn't work on me as strongly as Saint-Saëns, but I have always liked his choral style.

Another Vladimir Jurowski entry whose whole album is highly charged.

VS

Que

Quote from: Iota on December 04, 2021, 03:53:48 AM
I'll certainly be making time for this.

Definitely looks worth investigating.  :)