Author Topic: Louise Farrenc  (Read 14352 times)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
Re: Louise Farrenc
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2022, 01:18:56 PM »
Farrenc, Louise - Violin/Piano & Piano Works w/ the performers below - same recordings as posted previously - there is some overlap w/ the two piano recordings shown which I've kept in my collection (Fanfare reviews attached - Dubins seems to love the Polk performance).  Dave :)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 01:26:17 PM by SonicMan46 »

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2022, 01:25:45 PM »
Re-post from the 'listening thread' on the Farrenc Symphonies - put together a Spotify playlist and results: 1) Enjoyed the Laurence Equilbey period instruments performance of Nos. 1 & 3 - ordered on Amazon; and 2) My Goritzki CDs vs. the König performances; well, both sounded fine to me so agree w/ the attached reviews - will simply keep the older discs and wait to see if Equilbey comes out w/ No. 2 + fillers.  Dave :)

Yesterday, I posted on some of Louise Farrenc's chamber works and left a short bio (check link for more) - this morning I'm listening to her Symphonies done by Laurence Equilbey (just 1 & 3), Christoph König, and Johannes Goritzki - I own the Goritzki recordings, but should I replace the CDs w/ those of König? Also, Equilbey uses a period instrument band (which I've already heard and enjoyed but $20 USD on Amazon USA - will check elsewhere; plus I'm assuming she will do No. 2 plus fillers?).  Attached are reviews for those interested - Goritzki vs. König seems to be 'nose-to-nose' - will shortly have heard both and will decide, BUT I'd still like to obtain Equilbey at a decent price or DL).  Any comments appreciated - Dave :)

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2022, 03:31:31 PM »
I don't think any of the Naxos, CPO or Erato symphony recordings have been less than very good.  I've streamed all of them and simply find myself enjoying the music each time.

So many "rediscovered" composers from that era have been forgettable in the end, but Farrenc is the real deal is you like Schumann and Mendelssohn.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2022, 04:52:11 PM »
I don't think any of the Naxos, CPO or Erato symphony recordings have been less than very good.  I've streamed all of them and simply find myself enjoying the music each time.

So many "rediscovered" composers from that era have been forgettable in the end, but Farrenc is the real deal is you like Schumann and Mendelssohn.

Hi Dave - I listened to all of those symphony recordings this morning on a Spotify playlist and enjoyed each one - ordered the Laurence Equilbey CD because of the use of a period instrument band but the other two were similarly well done. I really admire Farrenc for emerging when males predominated her world and she still was triumphant - her chamber and piano music is wonderful also - for those reading this thread and not aware of Louise, then open your ears to a female 19th century composer who challenged the best of her times - really!   8)  Dave