Mozart

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

Quote from: Jo498 on October 24, 2023, 10:46:19 AMThe Alban Berg Quartett never recorded the first 13 quartets but their recording shown above for the 10 "late" quartets is great ...

It's also pleasing to hold those gatefold vinyl beauties ... speak soft words to them ... promise them what they want to hear over a glass of sangria .... ooooh, yes ....  ;D
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Scion7 on October 24, 2023, 01:18:12 PMIt's also pleasing to hold those gatefold vinyl beauties ... speak soft words to them ... promise them what they want to hear over a glass of sangria .... ooooh, yes ....  ;D

I also had these recordings on vinyl, and only the most recent CD release captured the warmth of sound I remember. The Alban Berg Quartet sounded completely different to me when they moved to EMI. Maybe different engineering style, maybe personnel changes.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mandryka

Oh bliss! Minasi makes the first movement of the Prague sound like music as uncompromisingly tough and dramatic and complicated as Don Giovanni. Gone for ever the sweet and elegant symphony I thought I knew and loved.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on November 04, 2023, 01:57:48 AM

Oh bliss! Minasi makes the first movement of the Prague sound like music as uncompromisingly tough and dramatic and complicated as Don Giovanni. Gone for ever the sweet and elegant symphony I thought I knew and loved.

Which recording have you been listening to that gave you this impression?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on November 04, 2023, 02:17:40 AMWhich recording have you been listening to that gave you this impression?

Well I can't remember confidently, I think Mackerras's first.

I have a really strong memory of driving home from the opera at Covent Garden one summer's night maybe 20 years ago, and the route took me through Knightsbridge and Kensington. The bars and restaurants were lively, the rich at their leisure were spilling out on to the road --  beautiful people full of joy and life, young, elegant, refined  in the light of the moon and streetlamps. And in the background was my CD of the Prague symphony playing in the car.

It just seemed like the perfect backdrop for what I was seeing in London from the car that night. It was a formative experience, it shaped my view of the symphony.

And then Minasi came along this morning and shook me out of my complacency.

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on November 04, 2023, 03:18:10 AMWell I can't remember, I think Mackerras's first.

I have a really strong memory of driving home from the opera at Covent Garden one summer's night maybe 20 years ago, and the route took me through Knightsbridge and Kensington. The bars and restaurants were lively, the rich at their leisure were spilling out on to the road --  beautiful people full of joy and life, young, elegant, refined  in the light of the moon and streetlamps. And in the background was my CD of the Prague symphony playing in the car.

It just seemed like the perfect backdrop for what I was seeing in London from the car that night. It was a formative experience, it shaped my view of the symphony.

That's very strange. The "Prague" is anything but --- and I know of no recording which mellows and prettifies it to such an extent. Mackerras / Scottish CO, for instance, is precisely tough and dramatic in a Don Giovanni-esque manner, especially in the first movement. I haven't yet heard his take with the Prague CO.

QuoteAnd then Minasi came along this morning and shook me out of my complacency.

OTOMH, other dramatic and tough readings: Krips/Concvertgebouw, Peter Maag/Orchestra di Padova e di Veneto. Erich Leinsdorf/Royal PO, Ernest Bour / SWF Baden-Baden Orchestra, Trevor Pinnock/English Concert

Once again, I'm quite surprised by what you say. Are you sure you were not yourself a little tipsy back then?  :D

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on November 04, 2023, 03:33:52 AMre you sure you were not yourself a little tipsy back then?  :D

In vino veritas

Jo498

I think the first LP I heard of the "Prague" (Sawallisch/Czech Phil, pretty straightforward, IIRC) described it in the notes as one of the most dramatic Mozart movements (1st). I got to know the 38 and 39 before the more famous 40 and 41 because I happened upon this LP first (and I still think they are a bit underrated compared to the last 2).
I think it is the greatest symphonic movement by Mozart, pace Jupiter finale, and always found it exhilarating and powerful.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

DavidW

Quote from: Florestan on November 04, 2023, 03:33:52 AMOTOMH, other dramatic and tough readings: Krips/Concvertgebouw, Peter Maag/Orchestra di Padova e di Veneto. Erich Leinsdorf/Royal PO, Ernest Bour / SWF Baden-Baden Orchestra, Trevor Pinnock/English Concert

Krips and Maag are the chef's kiss.  Exceptional.  Guess I should check out those other recordings you listed.  The 38th has my favorite opening of any symphony excepting perhaps Beethoven's 4th and it might even eclipse that one.  The way that the music switches from this menacing, somber opening to this vibrant, hyper in your face theme is just great, I never tire of it.

Mandryka

@Florestan etc etc.

I'd forgotten about this thread I started -- same anecdote reported in Post #1

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,31808.msg1457138.html#msg1457138

atardecer

Mozart's 38th was one of the works that got me into his music, love the dramatic French overture style intro. I have it on a recording that includes symphonies 36 and 39 with Karl Böhm and the Berlin philharmonic.

The 38th was the one that grabbed me the most first on this recording but over time I have come to enjoy 36 and 39 at least as much, the latter two in some ways perhaps seeming slightly more substantial. Though I consider all 3 great and up there with the last two.
"The deeper education consists in unlearning one's first education." - Paul Valéry

"The Gods kindly offer us the first verse, what is difficult is to write the next ones which will be worthy of their supernatural brother." - Paul Valéry

Pohjolas Daughter

I love this set with Mackerras and the SCO.  Wish that I liked his Beethoven set as much.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 06, 2023, 08:17:18 AMI love this set with Mackerras and the SCO.  Wish that I liked his Beethoven set as much.  :(

PD

There is also this one, of the same quality:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Florestan on November 06, 2023, 08:49:29 AMThere is also this one, of the same quality:

Oh, nice!  Do you happen to know when these recordings were from and when they were released?

I know that he did a number of performances with the SCO (at a festival I believe) and received the impression that they were well-regarded.  Wish that I could have seen some of them.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Ébène + Tamsitt Mozart quintets. I just can't get past the slow lyrical approach to the C major quintet's andante (515.) It feels a bit sort of flaccid. Maybe another day, another frame of mind. Took retreat in Takacs + Pauk  - what a difference! The other movements of that quintet from Ebene seem rather nice though. 

Mandryka

The k593 here deserves to be heard I think

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/78/000133587.pdf

ando

Enjoying this snapshot of the Mozarteum and Mozart's performance style uploaded a few days ago -

JBS

A question about recordings of WAM's violin sonatas.

I have the following sets

Podger/Cooper
Mutter/Orkis
Haebler/Szeryng
Capucon/Armstrong

Podger/Cooper is both the only PI set and the only one that is truly complete: the other three only include the 16 "mature" or "great" sonatas

Is there an MI cycle or set that includes the earlier sonatas (I suppose one could call them the "immature" sonatas)?
Does not need to be boxed up. In fact, individual CDs without the "mature" sonatas probably fits my needs more.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: JBS on March 22, 2024, 06:34:17 PMA question about recordings of WAM's violin sonatas.

I have the following sets

Podger/Cooper
Mutter/Orkis
Haebler/Szeryng
Capucon/Armstrong

Podger/Cooper is both the only PI set and the only one that is truly complete: the other three only include the 16 "mature" or "great" sonatas

Is there an MI cycle or set that includes the earlier sonatas (I suppose one could call them the "immature" sonatas)?
Does not need to be boxed up. In fact, individual CDs without the "mature" sonatas probably fits my needs more.

In addition to Podger/Cooper, I also own 5 2-CD sets (total 10 discs) of these works w/ Alina Ibragimova and Cedric Tiberghien - these were released on Hyperion (pics below from their website - click to enlarge) - check there for reviews; if you have access to the Fanfare Archive, all of these sets are reviewed w/ excellent comments. Hope this helps.  Dave