Mozart

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

There was a complement of the early ones for the complete Mozart edition 1991 with Verlet+ Poulet and Van Keulen + Brautigam, using harpsichord for the early pieces, but not sure if the violin or playing overall was what we's still call historically informed.

I'd have thought that there should have been another one with modern piano in the 1960s or 70s but it's hard to find because most of the incomplete boxes starting with K 296 are called "complete"
Discogs has a bunch of LPs from around 1970 with Kersenbaum + Olevsky (on Gemini) that has some of the early sonatas but not sure if all and I don't think this has ever been on CD or been widely known.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on March 22, 2024, 06:34:17 PMIs there an MI cycle or set that includes the earlier sonatas (I suppose one could call them the "immature" sonatas)?

Yes.

IIRC, the Ibragimova/Tiberghien series includes them as well (or a few of them anyway).

Oh, and immature it's the last thing I'd call them. Some of them are downright romantic, far ahead of their time.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

I though I a bunch of them were also forgeries?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on March 23, 2024, 02:01:36 AMI though I a bunch of them were also forgeries?

Never heard about that. The only Mozart forgery I'm aware of is the 7th violin concerto.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on March 23, 2024, 01:26:59 AMYes.

IIRC, the Ibragimova/Tiberghien series includes them as well (or a few of them anyway).

Oh, and immature it's the last thing I'd call them. Some of them are downright romantic, far ahead of their time.

The only copy on Amazon is listed at $799....
Pinchas Zuckerman and Mark Neikrug recorded them all, but it's OOP, although not at the Boskovsky/Kraus price level.
And there's this, which is cheap enough.  More or less a venture by the local public radio station

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on March 23, 2024, 08:45:01 AMThe only copy on Amazon is listed at $799....

Insanity on stilts! I can let you have the whole thing in FLAC, just PM me if interested.  :D

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on March 23, 2024, 08:51:10 AMInsanity on stilts! I can let you have the whole thing in FLAC, just PM me if interested.  :D

Thank you, but I don't download. Don't even have a hard drive to store them on.
Also they are mono, which means I'd still be looking for a stereo version...

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on March 23, 2024, 09:06:22 AMThank you, but I don't download. Don't even have a hard drive to store them on.

You should come to terms with the 21st century asap, Jeffrey!  ;D

QuoteAlso they are mono, which means I'd still be looking for a stereo version...

The sound is not SOTA, obviously, variable but never less than good. The performance, though, is top notch and as authentic as it gets. I mean, can you get more authenticly Austrian than Boskovsky and Kraus?  :D

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on March 23, 2024, 09:12:03 AMYou should come to terms with the 21st century asap, Jeffrey!  ;D

I have. Everything I need to do I can do on my phone.

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on March 23, 2024, 09:14:03 AMI have. Everything I need to do I can do on my phone.

Apparently, you need Mozart's early violin sonatas on MI. Can you store them on your phone?  ;D

(Sorry, couldn't resist. My own phone is this one:

)

SonicMan46

Just to clarify the Ibragimova/Tiberghien recordings on 10 CDs (contents shown below in the pics), these are 'complete'; all of the 'early' (1762-66), KV 6-9, 10-15, & 26-31 works are present, as are the 'mature' sonatas (1778-88), Nos. 17-36 (no 34 is not on the list; Source) - these are excellent modern performances (see attached reviews).  I purchased my 5 double-CD sets from BRO for $9 USD each - looking today (see link), only 2 are available at the moment (kind of arrive in spurts!).  My only complaint is that some of the discs skimp on time being about 50 mins long.  Dave

ritter

Quote from: JBS on March 23, 2024, 08:45:01 AMThe only copy on Amazon is listed at $799....
I believe that set is included in this one:

It can be had very affordably used (e.g. 46 € on Amazon.es).

JBS

Quote from: ritter on March 23, 2024, 11:09:16 AMI believe that set is included in this one:

It can be had very affordably used (e.g. 46 € on Amazon.es).

There's one offered on Amazon US by Momox for a similar price.
But is it the complete Mozart violin sonatas? Look at the listing for CDs 7-12

ritter

Quote from: JBS on March 23, 2024, 12:10:44 PMThere's one offered on Amazon US by Momox for a similar price.
But is it the complete Mozart violin sonatas? Look at the listing for CDs 7-12

From what I can see on Discogs, the contents of the EMI Réfėrences set and CDs 7 - 12 of the Erato Complete Recordings box is identical.

BTW, I should pull that Lili Kraus Erato box from my shelves and give some of the CDs a listen. I bought it on impulse in Dussmann in Berlin when it was first released, because it was really cheap, but I think I haven't listened to more that 2 or 3 of the discs.  ::)

JBS

Quote from: ritter on March 23, 2024, 12:58:30 PMFrom what I can see on Discogs, the contents of the EMI Réfėrences set and CDs 7 - 12 of the Erato Complete Recordings box is identical.

BTW, I should pull that Lili Kraus Erato box from my shelves and give some of the CDs a listen. I bought it on impulse in Dussmann in Berlin when it was first released, because it was really cheap, but I think I haven't listened to more that 2 or 3 of the discs.  ::)

And a short dive into Kochel listings shows that Kraus/Boskovsky did not record all the early sonatas--8 sonatas with KV numbers under 50 are missing--but did record a group (the erstwhile KV 55-60) that is now believed to be not by Mozart.

So the K/B set is not really complete, and there were sonatas that were misattributed to WAM.

But the Kraus set still has a bunch of Beethoven and Haydn over and above the Mozart...

Que

For those interested in the early "violin" sonatas on period instruments -  volume 9 of the Brilliant Mozart edition includes them on two discs, performed on violin and harpsichord:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2002/apr02/mozart9.htm

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ritter on March 23, 2024, 12:58:30 PMFrom what I can see on Discogs, the contents of the EMI Réfėrences set and CDs 7 - 12 of the Erato Complete Recordings box is identical.

Oh, the dangers of boxed sets--particularly big boxes!   ::)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

Quote from: Que on March 24, 2024, 05:30:45 AMFor those interested in the early "violin" sonatas on period instruments -  volume 9 of the Brilliant Mozart edition includes them on two discs, performed on violin and harpsichord:

Podger/Cooper include the same ones as in the Brilliant set.
Neither includes KV 10-15 (the ones now believed to be not by Mozart) or KV 55-59 (because they are alternately categorized  piano trios or flute sonatas, it seems).

Que

Quote from: JBS on March 24, 2024, 06:13:44 PMPodger/Cooper include the same ones as in the Brilliant set.
Neither includes KV 10-15 (the ones now believed to be not by Mozart) or KV 55-59 (because they are alternately categorized  piano trios or flute sonatas, it seems).

I see!  :)

These London sonatas: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violin_Sonatas,_KV_10%E2%80%9315_(Mozart)

DavidW

Quote from: Que on March 24, 2024, 05:30:45 AMFor those interested in the early "violin" sonatas on period instruments -  volume 9 of the Brilliant Mozart edition includes them on two discs, performed on violin and harpsichord:

I have the big box,
Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 24, 2024, 06:10:59 AMOh, the dangers of boxed sets--particularly big boxes!   ::)

PD

No kidding, the post before you references the biggest box I own... the Mozart Edition at 170 cds!!