The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Mozart

<< < (2/278) > >>

Mozart:
In terms of counterpoint how does Mozart's requiem match up against earlier composers?

Mozart:
The 3rd mov of pc 24 k 491 is so catchy!

scottscheule:
I've been listening to the wind concerti in the Philips collection.  The clarinet concerto is the strongest composition--though at the same time it's more reflective, cooler than the others.  I love the rondos on the horn concertos, especially the second.  And the third movement from the oboe (and flute no.2, perforce) is delightful.

I started listening to them because a friend of mine performed the bassoon concerto a few weeks ago.

hornteacher:

--- Quote from: scottscheule on April 19, 2007, 03:20:17 PM ---The clarinet concerto is the strongest composition--though at the same time it's more reflective, cooler than the others.
--- End quote ---
Very true.  This is due to the fact it was one of Mozart's final compositions, completed just months before his death.  Martin Frost has an outstandingly good recording of this work on CD.

--- Quote from: scottscheule on April 19, 2007, 03:20:17 PM ---I love the rondos on the horn concertos, especially the second.

--- End quote ---
Also agree.  I played the entire 2nd concerto on my University Recital about what seems like a million years ago.  However, if you would rather hear it performed WELL, I suggest Barry Tuckwell's CD on EMI.

springrite:
For a couple of years now I only listen to Mozart's lesser known or lesser played compositions, such as the early (or otherwise lesser known) operas. I am a bit tired of the familair or catchy ones, the only exception being my favorite Mozart non-operatic composition -- the Clarinet Quintet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version