Mozart

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on March 22, 2017, 03:57:15 PM
A dozen beats me, certainly.

I have, let me see:

Arrau, Bezuidenhout (but for a few volumes), 1/2 Biegel, Eschenbach, Gould, Larrocha, Pires II, Say, Uchida, and, I'm pretty sure, Wuertz. (I think I have the Mozart Brilliant box, after all...). I have all of Youn, so far, which might be my favorite. And I plan to get two specific more sets, I think.

Still, that's plenty, at 9 complete sets. (Well, Say is arriving in the next few days, I was told; that I'm looking forward to.) Pianists that I regret don't have a cycle are Pletnev and Fu Tsong.

I also have most of Bezuidenhout, Badura-Skoda (fortepiano), Badura-Skoda (piano), Bilson, Haebler, Oort, Klien, Eschenbach, Brautigam, Wertz, Lubimov, Uchida and Rampe (12 disks!).

I never intended to end up with that many, it just worked out that way... :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 22, 2017, 04:05:26 PM
I also have most of Bezuidenhout, Badura-Skoda (fortepiano), Badura-Skoda (piano), Bilson, Haebler, Oort, Klien, Eschenbach, Brautigam, Wertz, Lubimov, Uchida and Rampe (12 disks!).

I never intended to end up with that many, it just worked out that way... :-\

8)

Brautigam is certainly a cycle I'm thinking about; what do you say about Badura-Skoda (fortepiano) and Lubimov? (By the way, do you know what instrument Lubimov is playing?) I LOVE Lubimov's ECM disc "Messe Noire" - one of my favorite piano discs... such muscular, well oiled playing. The Prokofiev and Scriabin especially, but really all of it. But I've heard so-so things about his fortepiano Mozart.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on March 22, 2017, 04:21:07 PM
Brautigam is certainly a cycle I'm thinking about; what do you say about Badura-Skoda (fortepiano) and Lubimov? (By the way, do you know what instrument Lubimov is playing?) I LOVE Lubimov's ECM disc "Messe Noire" - one of my favorite piano discs... such muscular, well oiled playing. The Prokofiev and Scriabin especially, but really all of it. But I've heard so-so things about his fortepiano Mozart.

Brautigam's playing is always faultless, my only (picky) objection is that I find him sometimes overpowering in places where I would hope he wasn't, sort of like a castrato singing a soprano's part, if you take my meaning. His Variation's box is less noticeable that way, although I don't know the music as well so I have different expectations.

Lubimov is playing some different instruments. It is a 6 disk set:

Disk 1 & 2: A reproduction of a 1788 Stein by Claude Kelecom of Brussels (1978)
Disk 3: A different Stein repro, based on various Stein originals by Marc Ducornet of Paris (1984)
Disk 4, 5 & 6: A 1795 Walter repro by Christopher Clarke (1986)

I am also very partial to Lubimov. His Haydn 7 Last Words on Tangent Piano is in my top 2 or 3. And a couple of Beethoven disks, and a nice Schubert 4 Hands disk with Staier are favorites too. I don't listen to all I hear when people are talking about someone's playing. I really enjoy the Lubimov box. OTOH, I am a great fan of Staier, but I really am not so fond of his Mozart set on HM. He is OTT with ornaments in places. Other people might totally love it...

A set I wish I had all of is Semerjian on ATMA. I have 3 disks (of 6?) and I think his Mozart is outstanding, very articulated, the way I've read that Mozart would have played. As Beethoven said, he was 'too choppy', but I really like that. Legato was considered an ornament back then, so people who play all legato, as they would Beethoven, are playing something different. Which is fine, I like that too, but it is very nice to hear some staccato for a change.

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 22, 2017, 04:54:04 PM
Brautigam's playing is always faultless, my only (picky) objection is that I find him sometimes overpowering in places where I would hope he wasn't, sort of like a castrato singing a soprano's part, if you take my meaning. His Variation's box is less noticeable that way, although I don't know the music as well so I have different expectations.

Lubimov is playing some different instruments. It is a 6 disk set:

Disk 1 & 2: A reproduction of a 1788 Stein by Claude Kelecom of Brussels (1978)
Disk 3: A different Stein repro, based on various Stein originals by Marc Ducornet of Paris (1984)
Disk 4, 5 & 6: A 1795 Walter repro by Christopher Clarke (1986)

I am also very partial to Lubimov. His Haydn 7 Last Words on Tangent Piano is in my top 2 or 3. And a couple of Beethoven disks, and a nice Schubert 4 Hands disk with Staier are favorites too. I don't listen to all I hear when people are talking about someone's playing. I really enjoy the Lubimov box. OTOH, I am a great fan of Staier, but I really am not so fond of his Mozart set on HM. He is OTT with ornaments in places. Other people might totally love it...

A set I wish I had all of is Semerjian on ATMA. I have 3 disks (of 6?) and I think his Mozart is outstanding, very articulated, the way I've read that Mozart would have played. As Beethoven said, he was 'too choppy', but I really like that. Legato was considered an ornament back then, so people who play all legato, as they would Beethoven, are playing something different. Which is fine, I like that too, but it is very nice to hear some staccato for a change.

8)

I'm not sure if I have heard your opinion about Bezuindehout... I know Basura-Skoda is your favorite, and mine too. But Bezuindehout is a solid second place for me.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 22, 2017, 04:54:04 PM

8)

FYI: Interestingly, Brautigam's cycle was recorded all over the course of 11 days (!).

Semerjian's almost-cycle has volumes 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6. There isn't a fourth volume, though. Was never released. I'm currently on the mission to find out how that happened.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on March 22, 2017, 05:14:15 PM
I'm not sure if I have heard your opinion about Bezuindehout... I know Badura-Skoda is your favorite, and mine too. But Bezuindehout is a solid second place for me.  :)

I haven't formed an opinion yet, really. I do like what I've heard so far but it hasn't threatened Badura-Skoda yet. Or Bilson for that matter. But you know me with Bilson, he and PBS are the standard by which all others are judged. Getting the remainder of Bezuidenhout and Semerjian and eventually Schoonderwoerd are my priorities, then I will probably end up with one sonata each from 18 different players... :D  (yes, plenty of singles in there too!).

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on March 22, 2017, 05:29:12 PM
FYI: Interestingly, Brautigam's cycle was recorded all over the course of 11 days (!).

Semerjian's almost-cycle has volumes 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6. There isn't a fourth volume, though. Was never released. I'm currently on the mission to find out how that happened.

That explains much (like why I couldn't find it during a moderately intensive search), yet little; I can see not having disk 6 for example... :)

11 days for all that Mozart is a Herculean effort. Pretty amazing, in fact. :o

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 22, 2017, 05:32:27 PM
I haven't formed an opinion yet, really. I do like what I've heard so far but it hasn't threatened Badura-Skoda yet. Or Bilson for that matter. But you know me with Bilson, he and PBS are the standard by which all others are judged. Getting the remainder of Bezuidenhout and Semerjian and eventually Schoonderwoerd are my priorities, then I will probably end up with one sonata each from 18 different players... :D  (yes, plenty of singles in there too!).

8)

I like this boy because he insufflates some darkness, a sort of philosophical deepness on Mozart; something not usually seen.

Of course, Bilson is a master; but I prefer his Schubert, my favorite cycle.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on March 22, 2017, 05:45:46 PM
I like this boy because he insufflates some darkness, a sort of philosophical deepness on Mozart; something not usually seen.

Of course, Bilson is a master; but I prefer his Schubert, my favorite cycle.  :)

On his Sturm und Drang disk he played some things I haven't seen in the new series yet,  like the Adagio in b and the Fantasia in d, as well as K 457/475 in c, and you could hear this tendency in there. I really liked that disk, it was a good foreshadowing of things to come.

Yes, his Schubert cycle is first rate. Now I can't remember if it was him or PBS, but one of them uses a pianoforte with a percussion pedal so it sounds like a cymbal playing on the beat, the first time I heard it I was amazed. Pretty sure it was Bilson. Darn the luck, now I'll have to go back and listen to them both again... :D

8)

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 22, 2017, 05:52:57 PM
On his Sturm und Drang disk he played some things I haven't seen in the new series yet,  like the Adagio in b and the Fantasia in d, as well as K 457/475 in c, and you could hear this tendency in there. I really liked that disk, it was a good foreshadowing of things to come.

Yes, his Schubert cycle is first rate. Now I can't remember if it was him or PBS, but one of them uses a pianoforte with a percussion pedal so it sounds like a cymbal playing on the beat, the first time I heard it I was amazed. Pretty sure it was Bilson. Darn the luck, now I'll have to go back and listen to them both again... :D

8)

Didn't Staier do that business with a percussion pedal?

I am rather barebones in my list
Kraus II, Uchida, van Oort, Schiff.

Schiff I actually have yet to listen to.  It's part of this set
[asin]B011JHC0IC[/asin]
Which contains inter alia Todd's favorite PC cycle and Schiff's recordings on "Mozart's own instruments".

Van Oort is also available in two slightly larger sets (meaning, with the nonsonata works included).  I have the green box.
[asin]B000EMSPVU[/asin]
[asin]B004FFBM9O[/asin]

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 22, 2017, 07:27:06 PM
Didn't Staier do that business with a percussion pedal?

Kraus II, Uchida, van Oort, Schiff.

Schiff I actually have yet to listen to.  It's part of this set.

Van Oort is also available in two slightly larger sets (meaning, with the nonsonata works included).  I have the green box.

Thanks for the info on the Oort alternatives; if and when I have to mess with the N/O/P lines for another pianist, I'll be sure to include those.
The Schiff is a little too inclusive to make that list; I am in any case surprised to find out that the Schiff has never been re-issued since that Decca box, except in that (Italian?) Decca omnimbus set.

Todd

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 22, 2017, 03:09:57 PMI suspect new cycles will be non-stop, really, rather the situation of Todd with Beethoven.

I've found that Mozart collecting is more challenging than Beethoven collecting.  Some of the rarer titles are out of print and/or just more than I'm willing to spend for 5-6 discs.  The Francesh has been too pricey.  I tried to buy the Huh set at a price more than I'm generally willing to pay, but was informed by the seller that it was a 1-2 month wait to get it from the distributor, meaning it's out of print.  Pludermacher is nowhere to be found at sane prices.  I've managed to collect three dozen sets so far, but I don't see myself being able to get to the 85%+ of available cycles like I have with Beethoven, no matter how much I want to try.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 22, 2017, 07:27:06 PM

Mine may be the barest bones in the discussion.  (Only a parenthesis.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Todd on March 23, 2017, 06:00:21 AM

I've found that Mozart collecting is more challenging than Beethoven collecting.  Some of the rarer titles are out of print and/or just more than I'm willing to spend for 5-6 discs.  The Francesh has been too pricey.  I tried to buy the Huh set at a price more than I'm generally willing to pay, but was informed by the seller that it was a 1-2 month wait to get it from the distributor, meaning it's out of print.  Pludermacher is nowhere to be found at sane prices.  I've managed to collect three dozen sets so far, but I don't see myself being able to get to the 85%+ of available cycles like I have with Beethoven, no matter how much I want to try.

Yes, I've been collecting Mozart for years, and OOP is the number 1 problem, not even just with keyboard works but even more so with unusual things like orchestral serenades and the like. Everything you go looking for is like "oh yes, that piece was recorded back in 1991 for the Mozart Year. I can get you one for $600...". or, if you are very lucky, it has been re-released in a box of 90 disks, 80 of which you already have...

Not that Beethoven doesn't suffer similar issues, but Mozart is the worst composer for that problem of any I deal with. Followed by Schubert... :-\

8)

Karl Henning

Anything outside of the mature operas and the C major and g minor symphonies . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 23, 2017, 06:16:26 AM
Anything outside of the mature operas and the C major and g minor symphonies . . . .

"There will always be Jupiter::)  Much like a few of the London Symphonies. :-\

8)

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Todd on March 23, 2017, 06:00:21 AM

have you tried getting the Huh set from Germany? I think that might bear fruit.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 23, 2017, 06:20:10 AM
"There will always be Jupiter::)  Much like a few of the London Symphonies. :-\

8)

It's the microcosm of what the classical music section of Borders had become, two years before they went under.  They had (for illustrative purposes) 12 feet of shelving, of which 4.5 feet stood dedicated to various recordings/sets of the Beethoven symphonies.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on March 23, 2017, 06:30:23 AM
have you tried getting the Huh set from Germany? I think that might bear fruit.

Yes.  That is where the seller I tried was from.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Please clear up a small mystery

The liner notes of my old Bruno Walter set of the last 6 symphonies contain a remark pertaining to the "Haffner" Symphony (#35) that I have never been able to figure out. It relates to the coda of the finale:

"As for the coda, it must have sent a thrill of recognition and suppressed laughter through the original Salzburg audience, most of whom knew the composer personally. In it, Mozart the buffoon is at his most inspired."

What are they talking about here?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach