Mozart

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Herman on May 27, 2009, 07:39:59 AM
Yes the use of trumpets and drums in the Linz slow mvt is exquisite, and was later used in the same luminous fashion by Beethoven.

Unless of course one assumes these works were written by one and the same 3d rate composer we totally forgot about.

Loochey-, Loochey- . . . Loochey-something.

Quote from: bwv 1080 on May 27, 2009, 07:52:48 AM
Did someone already mention the Haydn relationship?  How did Haydn suckered by Mozart, & who wrote Mozart's Haydn quartets?

given the time they spent together performing and discussing music, could Haydn not have smelled a rat?

There you have it:  Haydn and Mozart played Mozart's music together.  And in December of 1787, Haydn wrote in a letter:

Quote from: F.J. HaydnIf I could only impress on the soul of every friend of mine, and on high personages in particular, how inimitable are Mozart's works, how profound, how musically intelligent, how extraordinarily sensitive!

I wonder if Haydn had a comparable opinion of those 3rd-raters who have been proposed as the "true" composers of these inimitable, profound, musically intelligent & extraordinarily sensitive works, hmmm?

Joe Barron

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 27, 2009, 08:10:52 AM
I wonder if Haydn had a comparable opinion of those 3rd-raters who have been proposed as the "true" composers of these inimitable, profound, musically intelligent & extraordinarily sensitive works, hmmm?

You miss the point. At this stage, Haydn was already part of the conspiracy.

karlhenning

Quote from: Joe Barron on May 27, 2009, 08:45:48 AM
You miss the point. At this stage, Haydn was already part of the conspiracy.

Haydn never left Esterháza.  The "Haydn" in Vienna was a spy in the pay of The Grand Turk.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 27, 2009, 08:58:53 AM
Haydn never left Esterháza.  The "Haydn" in Vienna was a spy in the pay of The Grand Turk.

Was he hidin'?

(oof)

karlhenning

Quote from: edward on May 28, 2009, 10:52:58 AM
Quite a bit of evidence has been presented to you. You've just chosen to ignore it.

Apparently you have no knowledge of the relevant primary and secondary sources: rather strange for a so-called Mozart scholar, no?

And by the way--you have still failed to present any evidence whatsoever of anything. And given that it's you who're making the controversial claims, it is *you* who needs to present evidence to show that you have any case whatsoever, not us.

Still no there there; it's all dog-&-pony show.

================================================================================================

Interesting (I thought) article on Der neue Köchel.

Quote from: N. ZaslawThe solution in the three earlier editions of Köchel (1905, 1937, and 1964) avoided the latter of these inconveniences, but added another in its place: many works have two or even three numbers, as in the case of Mozart's Symphony No. 24, in B-flat major, which goes by K. 182, 166c, and 173dA.

Nice to read actual scholarship on the topic, for a change . . . .

Herman

Of course Todd could lock the notorious thread, if he wanted to...

karlhenning

Revisiting the 'Haydn' Quartets after a long absence.  The Ysaÿe are all I've really heard play these.  What recordings are your preferences, Herman?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Herman on May 28, 2009, 11:34:27 AM
Of course Todd could lock the notorious thread, if he wanted to...

No, that wouldn't do at all, Herman. We are keeping things well-controlled by keeping it all right there. However, if people would merely read and run instead of stopping to bicker and argue, then the source of your irritation (or one of them, anyway) would soon sink away. :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

ChamberNut

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 28, 2009, 11:38:32 AM
Revisiting the 'Haydn' Quartets after a long absence.  The Ysaÿe are all I've really heard play these.  What recordings are your preferences, Herman?

I know you asked Herman, Karl.  8)  But, I have the Alban Berg Quartet Teldec recording of these.   :)  Excellent works!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 28, 2009, 11:18:04 AM
Still no there there; it's all dog-&-pony show.

================================================================================================

Interesting (I thought) article on Der neue Köchel.

Nice to read actual scholarship on the topic, for a change . . . .

By sheer coincidence, since I couldn't know that Newman would show up here when he did, I am reading Zaslaw's "Mozart's Symphonies" right now. As you say, there is considerable scholarship involved, and also a nice element of readability. I also have his "Compleat Mozart" which is simply indispensable for basic information about each work. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

karlhenning

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 28, 2009, 11:42:00 AM
I know you asked Herman, Karl.  8)  But, I have the Alban Berg Quartet Teldec recording of these.   :)  Excellent works!

But you well know, I trust, Ray, that your input is most welcome!

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 28, 2009, 11:39:46 AM
We are keeping things well-controlled by keeping it all right there. However, if people would merely read and run instead of stopping to bicker and argue, then the source of your irritation (or one of them, anyway) would soon sink away. :-\

8)

If the sane ones among us (that would be the Universal set - robenewman) stopped posting there, there wouldn't even be anything of worth to read. It would be a pretty fast death for the thread from then on. I just don't understand why it's being stretched to so many pages.  :-\
Regards,
Navneeth

Herman

Quote from: opus67 on May 28, 2009, 12:02:49 PM
I just don't understand why it's being stretched to so many pages.  :-\

Because of the annoyance factor; and also because the perp is very deft: he's really anxious to bump 'his' thread to the top whenever he can (he clearly spends all day monitoring the topic  -  even when he announces he'll be off).

Opus106

How about ignoring him? It's certain that he's an attention seeker, then why bother replying to the posts? He'll be bored after a week or so and begin to look for some other board to unload all the trash. (All this stuff must be quite obvious to you...)
Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

Quote from: opus67 on May 28, 2009, 12:14:39 PM
How about ignoring him?

Yes, Herman has been advocating just such a sane course of [in]action.

Herman

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 27, 2009, 05:19:21 AM
For a decade and more, the Haffner and Linz Symphonies have tended to blur together in my memory.  So, I'm taking advantage of the current spike in Mozart interest, to render them again as distinct entities.

I've always loved the Linz symphony,which really sounds like a big step forward after the Haffner.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 28, 2009, 12:15:33 PM
Yes, Herman has been advocating just such a sane course of [in]action.

You can't stop all of the people from posting all of the time.

karlhenning

Apart from that, how was the play, Mr Lincoln?

not edward

I'm pretty much done with playing with Mr Newman. It's been a bit like playing with one's own food (or shooting fish in a barrel) and the entertainment value is rapidly tailing off.

I'd like to think that the last couple of reviews I posted might rattle his self-belief, but I'm quite sure that no amount of conclusive evidence can.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Herman

Re: Mozart's Haydn Quartets: as it happens both the Amadeus Qt's early sixties recording and the one by the Alban Berg Qt on Teldec were the first sets I owned on LP. When I purcheased the latter on cd much later I was a little over the ABQ. I still like the Amadeus.

The best recent one IMO is the Capriccio set by the Petersen Qt who also managed to put the three Prussian Qts one a single cd. On RCMR (I never get it right) lots f other people are quite excited about this one too, I found.