Mozart

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel

Quote from: Coopmv on October 18, 2009, 02:04:36 PM
I do not collect "modern" classical music, period.

Coop where is your cut off point when music becomes too modern.........
Do you have any music beyond 1900 like Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Sibelius?

I assume Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert are still within your target range.......right?

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on October 18, 2009, 02:54:16 PM
Coop where is your cut off point when music becomes too modern.........
Do you have any music beyond 1900 like Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Sibelius?

I assume Mozart is still within your target range.......

I have a good number of recordings of Sibelius' and Nielsen's works and   about a dozen each for Prokofiev and Shostakovich.  I am in the process of building up my Shostakovich collection ...

Yes, I have close to 150 CD's/LP's/tapes of various Mozart works, which include 2 complete symphonies cycles.

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on October 18, 2009, 01:41:09 PM
George,  You are absolutely correct.  Serious means comprehensive in my reference.  

I often get those two words mixed up.  ::) ;D

Antoine Marchand

If I have understood rightly: seriousness (sober sincerity in our tastes) and selectiveness (the ability to distinguish, especially to recognize small differences or draw fine distinctions) are essential for all good collector; the comprehensiveness (or ability to understand a broad range of topics) is just optional...  :D

BTW, for some strange reason I have never seen my discs as a "collection"; therefore, I don't consider me a "collector", just a humble "music lover".  0:)

DarkAngel

I have noticed another universal truth of classical CD collectors........

The more you read and post at this forum the faster your collection seems to expand   ::)

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on October 18, 2009, 03:41:29 PM
I have noticed another universal truth of classical CD collectors........

The more you read and post at this forum the faster your collection seems to expand   ::)

I will be the first one to give Q the credit for often mentioning Glossa and Alia Vox, two labels I never had paid attention to until a few months ago.  I have discovered lots of great music offered by these two labels that the old standby such as the Polygram family of labels have never bothered to record ...

Franco

Quote from: Coopmv on October 18, 2009, 02:04:36 PM
I do not collect "modern" classical music, period.

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 18, 2009, 02:05:51 PM
And rightly so. The oxymoron has always put me off... :)

8)

>:(

Okay, I don't want to hear any more complaints about my not preferring the fortepiano.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Franco on October 18, 2009, 04:59:33 PM

Okay, I don't want to hear any more complaints about my not preferring the fortepiano.

AFAIK, this conversation hadn't even the vaguest connection with you. ???

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Rhorer, Jérémie/Le Cercle de l'Harmonie - K 201 Symphony #29 in A 4th mvmt - Allegro con spirito
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Franco

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 18, 2009, 05:04:15 PM
AFAIK, this conversation hadn't even the vaguest connection with you. ???

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Rhorer, Jérémie/Le Cercle de l'Harmonie - K 201 Symphony #29 in A 4th mvmt - Allegro con spirito

No, but I was taking note of the limitations of your taste.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Franco on October 18, 2009, 05:08:44 PM
No, but I was taking note of the limitations of your taste.

Actually, they are the limitations of Stuart's taste, but I really don't expect great things from you reading comprehension-wise... ::)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03 75 Quartet in G for Strings Op 76 #1 2nd mvmt - Adagio sostenuto

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Quote from: Coopmv on October 18, 2009, 03:00:21 PM
I have a good number of recordings of Sibelius' and Nielsen's works and   about a dozen each for Prokofiev and Shostakovich.  I am in the process of building up my Shostakovich collection ...

You might want to try Martinu sometime, I think you'll enjoy his music. :)

Coopmv

Quote from: Franco on October 18, 2009, 04:59:33 PM

I have no problems with real (not modern) classical music performed on modern piano ...    ;D

Franco

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 18, 2009, 05:18:50 PM
Actually, they are the limitations of Stuart's taste, but I really don't expect great things from you reading comprehension-wise... ::)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03 75 Quartet in G for Strings Op 76 #1 2nd mvmt - Adagio sostenuto

My, you are prickly.  Okay, I got the heavy handed hint.  No more banter with Gurn. ::)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Franco on October 18, 2009, 05:46:55 PM
My, you are prickly.  Okay, I got the heavy handed hint.  No more banter with Gurn. ::)

8)

Actually, I am a brilliant and perceptive guy, although I am occasionally held back from really shining by an overabundance of humility that I have been trying to peddle off to others over the years, to little avail. However, despite all the talent I possess in this vein, even I am not infallible when it comes to recognizing whether it is banter or not. Since your only 'smiley' in there was one of these " >:( ", I had to take you seriously, so I let you piss me off. Give me a heads up next time and I promise not to do it again. :D

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03 76 Quartet in d for Strings Op 76 #2 4th mvmt - Finale

Antoine Marchand

8)

It's hard to be a strict pianophile these days.  :'(  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 18, 2009, 06:06:31 PM
It's hard to be a strict pianophile these days.  :'(  ;D

;D

Yes, times are tough, mi amigo. These are the times that try men's souls...  0:)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Quatuor Festetics - Hob 03 78 Quartet in Bb for Strings Op 76 #4 3rd mvmt - Menuet

Dancing Divertimentian

Hey, Gurn is one of the bantiest of guys. I can certainly attest to that.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 18, 2009, 01:17:48 PM
For example, I don't have any Händel...

Except for that Handel opera a friendly GMGer sent you awhile back. ;D
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Opus106

Okay, the current discussion has veered far away from Mozart (hey, it's about Gurn now :D) to warrant another move, to this place. Mods? ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

Wanderer

Quote from: George on October 18, 2009, 01:38:01 PM
Me, I am not a comprehensive collector. I collect what I like. If I didn't love Mozart, I wouldn't own more than a few CDs of his.

The really incomprehensive thing to do would be to dispense with him altogether.  :D

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 18, 2009, 05:57:44 PM
Actually, I am a brilliant and perceptive guy, although I am occasionally held back from really shining by an overabundance of humility that I have been trying to peddle off to others over the years, to little avail. However, despite all the talent I possess in this vein, ... :D
8)

;D
This reminds me of the old joke: "If humility was a virtue, I'd have it too".