Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: karlhenning on November 09, 2011, 05:25:17 AM

And # 1 is indeed celebrated for his operas, though not exclusively.[/font]

Puccini?

jlaurson

I would go so far as to suggest that people often forget the operas when they dismiss composer No.1. Especially when they compare him to a famous all-symphonist and colleague and good acquaintance of No.1.

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 09, 2011, 05:26:33 AM
Puccini?

Puccini was known for anything other than operas??

In any case, I think the consensus here is that we don't tell in the forum (not to spoil it for others) but that you will either have to guess or google.  ;)

Brahmsian

Richard Strauss?

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

Quote from: karlhenning on November 09, 2011, 05:31:05 AM
Ja wohl.

Or is that a single word?

Do I win a prize, Karl:D 8)

If so, I'll take the Brilliant Classics complete Tchaikovsky box, a la Johannes Brahms mode.  :) ;)

Karl Henning

Like Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me . . . your prize is Karl's voice on your home answering machine . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

PaulSC

Quote from: karlhenning on November 09, 2011, 05:37:26 AM
Like Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me . . . your prize is Karl's voice on your home answering machine . . . .
Maybe a few clarinet riffs from K. 581?
Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

max

Quote from: facehugger on April 06, 2007, 02:37:52 PM
i called it. this thread is mine. mine, i tell you!

anyway, mozart is awesome, no?

Mozart thought so too...and he wasn't thinking of his old man!!

Geo Dude

Is anyone familiar with this recording?  Thoughts?

I've had it for a few years and it just doesn't seem to be clicking with me; I'm wondering if the trouble is with Mozart or the Emerson Quartet (and hoping the latter).  Everyone at Amazon seems to love it, so I'm curious to hear opinions from people here.

jlaurson

Quote from: Geo Dude on November 29, 2011, 06:28:27 PM

Is anyone familiar with this recording?  Thoughts?

I've had it for a few years and it just doesn't seem to be clicking with me; I'm wondering if the trouble is with Mozart or the Emerson Quartet (and hoping the latter).  Everyone at Amazon seems to love it, so I'm curious to hear opinions from people here.

don't blame mozart or yourself. everyone at amazon seems to love everything the emerson quartet does... but i cannot find the humanity in some of their playing that i need to really feel certain composers... mozart among them.

no need to get a complete set of mozart quartets... (the "Haydn" quartets are sufficient for quite a while) but given how some of the best sets have come down in price...

my favorite is the quatuor mosaiques, but their set is currently oop, hard to get and therefore expensive... though a re-issue is imminent, i reckon. no worries, though... another superb set -- with the Talich String Quartet -- has just been re-issued at bargain price.

Karl Henning

Quote from: jlaurson on November 30, 2011, 02:41:51 AM
don't blame mozart or yourself. everyone at amazon seems to love everything the emerson quartet does...

Well, I cannot quite answer to that hyperbole.  But the Shostakovich, Bartók, Debussy & Ravel that they've done: yes, I think very highly of those recordings, indeed.  Personally, I don't feel that they lack at all for humanity, in any of those recordings.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Geo Dude

don't blame mozart or yourself. everyone at amazon seems to love everything the emerson quartet does... but i cannot find the humanity in some of their playing that i need to really feel certain composers... mozart among them.

no need to get a complete set of mozart quartets... (the "Haydn" quartets are sufficient for quite a while) but given how some of the best sets have come down in price...

my favorite is the quatuor mosaiques, but their set is currently oop, hard to get and therefore expensive... though a re-issue is imminent, i reckon. no worries, though... another superb set -- with the Talich String Quartet -- has just been re-issued at bargain price.

Thanks for the opinion on the matter.

You'll be happy to know that I've ordered this set recently in an attempt to get more out of the Haydn quartets.  I also own this disc and am quite fond of it, however, I want to be able to engage with and enjoy the Haydn quartets.  Hopefully the Smithson String Quartet set will make that happen.

Gurn Blanston

I'm no Emerson's fan either, Jens. I do think the Talich set that you mention is worth a good rec though. I have had it for years and a bargain re-release is a favor to all. As for the Mosaiques, do you know that to be the case? That it is going to be boxed and re-released? It is also MY favorite, although I am lacking a couple of the disks (have downloads, but would love the real deal). Is there a link that I can check that out? I would pre-order if necessary!

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 30, 2011, 04:28:56 AM
I do think the Talich set that you mention is worth a good rec though. I have had it for years and a bargain re-release is a favor to all. 8)

The Talich on Calliope was one of my earliest classical explorations. I've always enjoyed it, though the recorded sound strikes me as a wee bit boxy.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

jlaurson

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 30, 2011, 04:28:56 AM
I'm no Emerson's fan either, Jens. I do think the Talich set that you mention is worth a good rec though. I have had it for years and a bargain re-release is a favor to all. As for the Mosaiques, do you know that to be the case? That it is going to be boxed and re-released? It is also MY favorite, although I am lacking a couple of the disks (have downloads, but would love the real deal). Is there a link that I can check that out? I would pre-order if necessary!

8)

My favorite Talich release is probably that of the Mozart String Quintets, but the Quartets are not far behind.
(Earlier I accidentally linked to the MP3 version.) Hopefully the Quintets will be re-released, too.

W.A. Mozart
Complete String Quartets
Quatuor Talich
La Dolce Vita (ex-Calliope)

W.A. Mozart
Complete String Quintets
Quatuor Talich
Calliope

As per Mosaiques: I am afraid I do not know when exactly the Mozart set will be re-released... I was thinking in terms of "within the next two years", rather than "February 23rd".

As per Emerson: There are recordings of the group that I like very much... including Bartok (though I have other favorites) and late Beethoven (though I have other favorites) and Prokofiev and their AOF are top of the line (the latter together with the Keller Quartet on ECM and not to be mistaken with their dreadful and sloppy "Bach Fugues" album)...

I like their Nielsen,  Sibelius,  Grieg disc, but not their Mendelssohn and not their Haydn and the Shostakovich is annoying not just because of the applause but its lack of grime. Fond of their Webern.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: jlaurson on November 30, 2011, 05:44:11 AM
My favorite Talich release is probably that of the Mozart String Quintets, but the Quartets are not far behind.
(Earlier I accidentally linked to the MP3 version.) Hopefully the Quintets will be re-released, too.

W.A. Mozart
Complete String Quartets
Quatuor Talich
La Dolce Vita (ex-Calliope)

W.A. Mozart
Complete String Quintets
Quatuor Talich
Calliope

As per Mosaiques: I am afraid I do not know when exactly the Mozart set will be re-released... I was thinking in terms of "within the next two years", rather than "February 23rd".

As per Emerson: There are recordings of the group that I like very much... including Bartok (though I have other favorites) and late Beethoven (though I have other favorites) and Prokofiev and their AOF are top of the line (the latter together with the Keller Quartet on ECM and not to be mistaken with their dreadful and sloppy "Bach Fugues" album)...

I like their Nielsen,  Sibelius,  Grieg disc, but not their Mendelssohn and not their Haydn and the Shostakovich is annoying not just because of the applause but its lack of grime. Fond of their Webern.

Yes, I think the Talich's Mozart quintets are very fine, so too the early quartets, of which their box is as good as I've heard.

Oh, I wasn't very specific in my statement, what I meant was that I didn't care for the Emersons in Mozart and similar Classical Era music. I like them fine in Bartok and Shostakovitch, for example.

Well, I was hoping on the QM, but still, some day it will happen. I hope they don't lose the dragonfly motif in the process... :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: jlaurson on November 30, 2011, 05:44:11 AM

Enjoying the quartet samples very well. Thanks, Jens!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 30, 2011, 06:19:05 AM
Yes, I think the Talich's Mozart quintets are very fine, so too the early quartets, of which their box is as good as I've heard.

Well, I was hoping on the QM, but still, some day it will happen. I hope they don't lose the dragonfly motif in the process... :)

Also curious about the Talich's Mozart SQ box (have owned their Quintet recordings for a LONG time!) - assume will be more than just the final 10 works like in the QM box that I have (which is 5 discs)? Don't believe that I've even heard the pre-Haydn dedicated SQs of Mozart?

Ah yes - that dragonfly motif is everywhere - 4 on the front of the box & one each w/ the individual CDs - :)

jlaurson

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 30, 2011, 08:38:06 AM
Also curious about the Talich's Mozart SQ box (have owned their Quintet recordings for a LONG time!) - assume will be more than just the final 10 works like in the QM box that I have (which is 5 discs)? Don't believe that I've even heard the pre-Haydn dedicated SQs of Mozart?

Ah yes - that dragonfly motif is everywhere - 4 on the front of the box & one each w/ the individual CDs - :)

Yes, yes... it includes the early Mozart Quartets... the whole 'canonic' set of 23 Quartets, starting with K.73f "Lodi", making its way through the "Milan", "Vienna", "Haydn", and "Prussian" Quartets (+ Hoffmeister, somewhere in there)... but not the early Divertimenti for string quartet.

Insects:

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: toucan on November 30, 2011, 10:09:37 AM
There could never be a problem with Mozart. There are problems with record companies that make it difficult to find great recordings, like the following involving the Barylli Quartet, who perform with fluency, balance and ease:

I certainly agree with that. Here is another excellent quartets disk:

That's the Heutling Quartet.

Hard to find, and its mates are even harder. No good reason for it. >:(

8)