Mozart

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geo Dude

Quote from: toucan on November 30, 2011, 10:09:37 AM
There could never be a problem with Mozart.

Allow me to clarify:  I wondered if I was not 'clicking' with Mozart or not clicking with that particular recording.  That doesn't imply anything is wrong with Mozart's string quartets (or with Mozart in general), just that I wondered if my personal tastes were leaning elsewhere.

Thanks for the recommendation, though.

Bogey

I want to do a sweep through Mozart's sacred works using the Wolfie brick.  Starting here:

Litaniae venerabili altaris sacramento KV 243

and

Litaniae de BMV (Laurentanae) KV 109

If you see one that I post and have a favorite disc that has the music, please quote me and post the disc.  Thanks!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Karl Henning

Hoy, Bill! Great timing: I'm digging the Juilliard Quartet's account of the "Haydn" Quartets!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on December 04, 2011, 02:07:54 PM
Hoy, Bill! Great timing: I'm digging the Juilliard Quartet's account of the "Haydn" Quartets!

Good evening, my friend.  Hah!  I felt the need to add a bit of pixie dust to my Haydn listening.....so Mozart it is!

(PS: loving that VW set)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Karl Henning

The "Hoffmeister" quartet was formerly a most egregious blindspot in my Mozart listening; but thanks in part to Ray's patient table-thumping, I've remedied that oversight.

Curiously, Arkiv Music lists fewer recordings of the K.499 than for any of the "Haydn" or "Prussian" quartets!  Why has this singleton suffered so much (comparative) neglect? . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

jlaurson

Quote from: karlhenning on December 06, 2011, 04:17:30 AM

Curiously, Arkiv Music lists fewer recordings of the K.499 than for any of the "Haydn" or "Prussian" quartets!  Why has this singleton suffered so much (comparative) neglect? . . .[/font]

Bingo!

So lonely, and without group-comfort and group-protection, it always falls by the wayside. I half expected that the situation is at least slightly similar with Beethoven viz. "Razumovsky" vs. "Serioso" vs. "Late Beethoven"... but it's actually the reverse, with Serioso being very well recorded and one of the Razumovskies dropping out.

Brahmsian

The "Hoffmeister" quartet was formerly a most egregious blindspot in my Mozart listening; but thanks in part to Ray's patient table-thumping, I've remedied that oversight.

Curiously, Arkiv Music lists fewer recordings of the K.499 than for any of the "Haydn" or "Prussian" quartets!  Why has this singleton suffered so much (comparative) neglect? . . .

I'm not sure why Karl:) As you already know, it is my favorite of Mozart's String Quartets!  :D  It was also my first Mozart string quartet to hear in live performance, which just blew me away.  I think it has a more delicate, light simplicity to it, and perhaps it isn't quite as 'heavy duty' compared to K.464 and K.465, it perhaps suffers neglect.

It really should not (and does not deserve to be the most neglected of Mozart's final 10 String Quartets, in my humble opinion).

All that really matters to me, in the end, is that I REALLY LOVE this String Quartet.  Long live Hoffmeister K.499!!  8)

Brahmsian

By the way, as far as Menuetto's go, the K.499 Menuetto is one of my favourites in the entire music literature.

In some cases, I find classical era Menuetto's a little sleep inducing (not often, but occassionally).  Certainly not the case with K. 499! :)

Gurn Blanston

But you only need one!

This one here, of course:
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=219018

Can be had for a better price elsewhere, but easier to find here. I got it on eBay 6 weeks ago for <$10. Excellent. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

jlaurson

Let's not forget the lovely ladies from the Klenke Quartet, who have a superb (late) Mozart cycle under their (short) belts, which includes the Hoffmeister, available on a single disc:

W.A. Mozart
String Quartets K.499 ("Hoffmeister")
& K575 ("Prussian I")
Klenke Quartet
PROFIL Haenssler

Karl Henning

Those talented young ladies need to do some Henning.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

chasmaniac

Quote from: jlaurson on December 07, 2011, 03:23:49 AM
Let's not forget the lovely ladies from the Klenke Quartet

Are they sweating? I think they're sweating.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

chasmaniac

If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on December 07, 2011, 04:56:47 AM
Those talented young ladies need to do some Henning.

Truly a multiplex sort of a statement. ::)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Oh, most assuredly by design, O Gurn.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

jlaurson

Quote from: chasmaniac on December 07, 2011, 05:06:13 AM
Are they sweating? I think they're sweating.

Glistening. They're glistening! Wouldn't you glisten after playing through two Mozart Quartets?
But, yes... perhaps they are in need of a towel more than a Henning.

Karl Henning

Well, I wield a fine towel, if I do say so myself.

Henning would certainly make them sweat; they wouldn't be the first string players to find it so.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Nor are all MI accounts of the quartets created equal (no surprise there, surely) . . . the first movement of the d minor quartet (K.421[417b]) runs 10'47 in the Juilliard Quartet recording of January 1977, but only 5'37 in the Amadeus Quartet recording of May 1966.  Of course, both sections have repeats, and it must likely be a matter of the Amadeus Quartet omitting the repeats (oh, the horror, the horror).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on December 08, 2011, 05:25:06 AM
. . . the first movement of the d minor quartet (K.421[417b]) runs 10'47 in the Juilliard Quartet recording of January 1977, but only 5'37 in the Amadeus Quartet recording of May 1966.

And the Italiano come right in between those two at 7:18.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"