Mozart

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on April 29, 2010, 07:20:54 AM
I've heard the 38th and the 41st symphonies of Mozart for the first time today. :)

Wait?  What!?  By that I mean though I've heard many recordings of those works, I did not realize how dynamic and expressive they should be.  From powerful crescendos to elegant minuet interruptions to transparent layered sound from the orchestra, the performance of Jacob and the Freiburger Orchestra showed me what Mozart's music really sounds like.  My eyes are opened, I have heard the definitive performance of these works, AND I LOVE IT!!! :) :) :) :)

8)

Gosh, I miss our Davey.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Opus106

Is there a reason why recording Davide Penitente, K. 469 wouldn't be lucrative for the labels? ??? I learnt about this work  just a couple of nights ago -- it's not a mass, but it's an augmented and completed version of the music of K. 427! :o But I don't even need all the fingers in my hand to count the extant recordings -- and one of them is from 1956 (the performance, I mean)! HIPsters, where art thou? Stop trying to complete unfinished works and please record the one already finished.

--Rant Over--
Regards,
Navneeth

Que

Quote from: Opus106 on December 24, 2011, 10:17:01 AM
Is there a reason why recording Davide Penitente, K. 469 wouldn't be lucrative for the labels? ??? I learnt about this work  just a couple of nights ago -- it's not a mass, but it's an augmented and completed version of the music of K. 427! :o But I don't even need all the fingers in my hand to count the extant recordings -- and one of them is from 1956 (the performance, I mean)! HIPsters, where art thou? Stop trying to complete unfinished works and please record the one already finished.

--Rant Over--

I trust you are aware of the fact that most of it is rehashed music from the Mass in C minor? To be honest: it is more effective in its original setting.

As far as performances go, this HIP one might appeal to you:

Q :)

Opus106

As far as performances go, this HIP one might appeal to you:

Q :)

If it's available to me, it may. ;) Thanks, anyway. Perhaps Sony would re-release it in a Big La Petite Band Box some day.
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

It's Wolferl's birthday! Game on!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: karlhenning on January 27, 2012, 03:52:59 AM

I celebrated prematurely by visiting the Mozarthaus in Vienna last week. It's where he lived in 1784-87. They've put together a really nice exhibit. And the next night I went to The Magic Flute at the Volksoper  :)
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Florestan

Quote from: Velimir on January 27, 2012, 04:56:09 AM
I celebrated prematurely by visiting the Mozarthaus in Vienna last week. It's where he lived in 1784-87. They've put together a really nice exhibit. And the next night I went to The Magic Flute at the Volksoper  :)

Sounds like a Magic Week.   :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Opus106

Um... I was just reading a biography of Salieri in BBC Music Magazine. :-\
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Bad form, Auntie Beeb!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Opus106

Quote from: karlhenning on January 27, 2012, 05:36:36 AM
Bad form, Auntie Beeb!

Incidentally, it's featured in the one-year-old special Wolferl issue. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Karl Henning

Quote from: Opus106 on January 27, 2012, 05:45:51 AM
Incidentally, it's featured in the one-year-old special Wolferl issue. :)

Oh, that I took as read. Superlatively bad form, Auntie Beeb.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: karlhenning on January 27, 2012, 03:52:59 AM

Awesome I have some Mozart on my mp3 player-- oboe concerto, bassoon concerto and that other sinfonia concertante!  Should be great. 8)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

eyeresist

Quote from: karlhenning on January 27, 2012, 06:09:43 AM
Oh, that I took as read. Superlatively bad form, Auntie Beeb.

Well, you know Salieri didn't actually assassinate Our Wolfy?

Karl Henning

I surely did know that, thanks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Osvaldo Golijov claimes to have composed the recently discovered MS. which was believed to be Mozart's . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

I have grade-school Latin students (6th through 8th) and the better 8th Graders are capable of handling original Roman authors, depending on the author.  Selections of Ovid's Metamorphoses are in their Cambridge Latin text.

A few years ago I considered using Mozart's Apollo et Hyacinthus in class, because he was around my students' age (11) when he composed it, and because the text was in Latin.

The story has a theme of homosexuality, which theme in a Catholic grade school would be just a little unacceptable!   0:)  In high schools it would not be a problem (maybe).     :D

Anyway, I have recently discovered that in fact the libretto changes the story away from that theme, focusing Apollo's desires on a woman.

So for the experts here: is the music interesting enough - do you think - for today's 8th Graders...at least somewhat talented ones?  They might find it of initial interest because of Mozart's age when he composed it.  But are at least parts of it capable of sustaining the initial interest?

A difficult question, I know. 
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Cato on July 04, 2012, 09:07:07 AM
I have grade-school Latin students (6th through 8th) and the better 8th Graders are capable of handling original Roman authors, depending on the author.  Selections of Ovid's Metamorphoses are in their Cambridge Latin text.

A few years ago I considered using Mozart's Apollo et Hyacinthus in class, because he was around my students' age (11) when he composed it, and because the text was in Latin.

The story has a theme of homosexuality, which theme in a Catholic grade school would be just a little unacceptable!   0:)  In high schools it would not be a problem (maybe).     :D

Anyway, I have recently discovered that in fact the libretto changes the story away from that theme, focusing Apollo's desires on a woman.

So for the experts here: is the music interesting enough - do you think - for today's 8th Graders...at least somewhat talented ones?  They might find it of initial interest because of Mozart's age when he composed it.  But are at least parts of it capable of sustaining the initial interest?

A difficult question, I know.

Well, difficult in the sense that only you know what your goals are, and the material you are working with. :)

I am listening to it again (after a couple of years) right now. It's less than an hour and a half, which is a great start!  Opera seria is, in my opinion, an acquired taste. So the real question is whether or not you believe they can accomplish that. There is a certain amount of secco in it, but it isn't overwhelming, plus it happens that he was good at it, even at that age. There are a few arias that are especially good, like Laetari, iocari sung by the Melia character. Problematically, I don't have an libretto, which would not only enhance my enjoyment but also help with an analysis. So it goes.

In short, if you think that these students can deal with opera seria, then this would be a fine place to start. The added interest of one in their age group being the composer can only be a help. It would be especially nice if you could find them copies of the libretto though. Reading along has always been a big help for me. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Cato

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 04, 2012, 10:48:07 AM
Well, difficult in the sense that only you know what your goals are, and the material you are working with. :)

In short, if you think that these students can deal with opera seria, then this would be a fine place to start. The added interest of one in their age group being the composer can only be a help. It would be especially nice if you could find them copies of the libretto though. Reading along has always been a big help for me. :)

8)

Many thanks for taking the time to comment!

Here is the score: no translation of the Latin text, however.

http://dme.mozarteum.at/DME/nma/nma_cont.php?vsep=30&gen=edition&l=1&p1=-99

Which CD do you have?  This seems to be the most recent recording: one would hope a libretto would be included, but these days we are lucky that they bother to record it to begin with!

[asin]B0072IVGHO[/asin]

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)