Mozart

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Cato on July 04, 2012, 01:53:19 PM
Many thanks for taking the time to comment!

Here is the score: no translation of the Latin text, however.

http://dme.mozarteum.at/DME/nma/nma_cont.php?vsep=30&gen=edition&l=1&p1=-99

Which CD do you have?  This seems to be the most recent recording: one would hope a libretto would be included, but these days we are lucky that they bother to record it to begin with!

[asin]B0072IVGHO[/asin]

You are welcome, and thanks for the score. No problems, Latin is my second language...   0:)

I have that set that Brilliant put out a few years ago of the Complete Operas. It's true; recordings are thin on the ground. No problem finding a Don Giovanni, however...  :D

I will check out this disk though. I find the singing in the beginning of mine to be a bit too wobbly for me, although, amazingly, it seems to work itself out midway. Go figure. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Florestan

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on July 04, 2012, 02:05:17 PM
Latin is my second language...   0:)

Rumor has it that a Greek economy professor lecturing in US used only Greek-origin words in his lectures (besides and, or, then a.s.o.) and the audience understood him very well. (Well, don't ask me his name...  ;D). I'm sure the same can be done with Latin-origin words with the same results.  :D...

...because...

...Notiunile economice sunt universale! (this is in Romanian but you should be able to understand it  :) )
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Papy Oli

After seeing Amadeus this week again, I am in the mood for some Mozart but I actually do not have that much on my shelves :

Piano concertos 20-23-24-25 (Moravec)
Piano sonatas (Uchida)
Wind concertos (Concertgebouw Chamber Orch.)
Sonata for 2 Pianos K.448 (Lupu / Perahia)
Eine Kleine Nachtmusik / Serenatta Notturna / Lodron Night Music (Naxos)
Symphonies 35-45 (Bohm)
Solemn Vespers (Naxos)
Requiem (Hickox)/ Ave Verum Corpus / Exsultate, Jubilate

I am happy with the above versions and not looking for alternatives, but are  there any missing major works of his I could add while I am in the mood please ? I am not into operas although I could take a punt on one ....or some hidden gems maybe ?

Thank you  0:)
Olivier

Karl Henning

You want the quintet for piano and winds, K.452; and the viola quintets.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 26, 2012, 11:56:20 AM

I am happy with the above versions and not looking for alternatives, but are  there any missing major works of his I could add while I am in the mood please ? I am not into operas although I could take a punt on one ....or some hidden gems maybe ?

Hey, Papy, you need to hear Piano Concerto #21 C major K.467. The slow movement is one of his most famous (in part due to the film Elvira Madigan). Try to find Anda's version (wonderful performances of 6 & 17 too):

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

mszczuj

Quote from: karlhenning on July 26, 2012, 12:03:01 PM
You want the quintet for piano and winds, K.452; and the viola quintets.

And Divertimento for string trio.

Karl Henning

Quote from: mszczuj on July 26, 2012, 01:59:02 PM
And Divertimento for string trio.

Post #666! Well played!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

mszczuj

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 26, 2012, 01:15:27 PM
Hey, Papy, you need to hear Piano Concerto #21 C major K.467. The slow movement is one of his most famous (in part due to the film Elvira Madigan).

You need all Piano Concertos.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on July 26, 2012, 02:02:01 PM
The cover is a rare picture of Geza Anda!

Oh, I thought he was an old Geza! This must have been back in the day... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mszczuj on July 26, 2012, 02:02:51 PM
You need all Piano Concertos.

I think so too...but I didn't want to overwhelm Papy with recommendations.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Opus106

I'm surprised that no one has suggested the string quartets yet, at least the 'Haydn' set.

The clarinet concerto and the quintet! (Make sure to listen to a basset clarinet hit all those low notes.)

Symphony No. 25 (oh, and you need to get something with a little more verve and joie de vivre (where appropriate) than Herr Böhm's recordings ;))
Sinfonia concertante for violin and viola, K. 364

And even if you're not into operas taken in whole, I'd suggest that you give at least all the famous arias a try. And there are also the concert arias; I like Bella mia fiamma a lot.
Regards,
Navneeth

Papy Oli

thank you for the recommendations, I'll check these out tonight  :)
Olivier

xochitl

who would you guys recommend conducting the late symphonies besides mackerras and szell?  i have bohm too, but i have to get used to the viennese style like his beethoven

mc ukrneal

Quote from: xochitl on July 26, 2012, 10:42:31 PM
who would you guys recommend conducting the late symphonies besides mackerras and szell?  i have bohm too, but i have to get used to the viennese style like his beethoven
I enjoy Davis if you want something in the 'big band' direction. This one:
[asin]B000TM0H5C[/asin]

As per Papi's request, I'd go with:
Marriage of Figaro, Solti
Mass in C minor, Leppard, Cotrubas and Kiri Te Kanawa (if you can find it)
Piano Concertos: Any of Perahia, Brendel and Ashkenazy (all very good, and first two can be bought in smaller doses if so desired, though sets have price advantage)
Piano Trios: Florestan Trio (Hyperion)
Piano Quartets: Lewis and Leopold String Trio (on Hyperion)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

jlaurson

Quote from: xochitl on July 26, 2012, 10:42:31 PM

Krips • Krips • Krips!

"Why Haydn Should Be Mandatory"
http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2011/06/why-haydn-should-be-mandatory.html

W.G. Mozart
Symphonies 21-41
J.Krips / Concertgebouw Orchestra
Decca

German link - UK link

QuoteTo illustrate the high quality of music-making that can result from this approach (one we might run the danger of losing), nothing serves better than Josef Krips' recordings of the Mozart Symphonies with the Concertgebouw Orchestra from 1972 and 73. This is Classical Music at its very finest. You won't find Mozart anywhere else that is played with such lightness, radiating joy, and so being the epitome of musical tip-toeing. Yes, it sounds very different – luxuriously so – than Mozart coming from smaller, HIP groups, but not heavier per se, nor swooningly romantic.

Krips covers symphonies 21 to 41 and they are finally available separately again after having long shared box-set space with the unnecessary Neville Marriner-conducted early symphonies. Even with the excellent, moderately HIP Charles Mackerras / Prague set (Teldec) available, Krips should still be the first choice of any collection's allotment for Mozart symphonies.

jwinter

Quote from: mc ukrneal on Today at 03:01:31 AM
I enjoy Davis if you want something in the 'big band' direction. This one:

Strongly seconded!  That would be my easy top choice for the late symphonies, followed by Bohm and Szell.  I've also always had a weakness for Marriner's EMI re-recordings of the late symphonies, which can be had for peanuts in various budget incarnations.  Most folks seem to prefer his earlier versions for Phillips, but I think the EMI beneficially picks up the pace a bit, and is well-recorded.

Krips is also excellent, but I don't know if I'd recommend it as an alternative to Bohm -- both of them are beautifully played but can seem rather stately and old-fashioned these days.  Depends on whether one wants a Romantic take on Mozart, or something more modern and HIP-influenced...

If you like the Davis, be sure to pick up his disc of Mozart overtures as well, it's absolutely superb:

[asin]B000EHQ8AA[/asin]
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

jlaurson

Quote from: jwinter on July 27, 2012, 04:42:56 AM

Krips is also excellent, but I don't know if I'd recommend it as an alternative to Bohm -- both of them are beautifully played but can seem rather stately and old-fashioned these days.  Depends on whether one wants a Romantic take on Mozart, or something more modern and HIP-influenced...

Bawk-bawk-whaaat? Boehm, to my ears (it was my first integral Mozart cycle and also my first in many individual Mozart symphonies), fits your description... but Krips sounds like something from a completely different world. To me, that's like comparing a graceful Gnu (Boehm) to a sportive Flamingo (Krips).

jwinter

Different strokes, I suppose.  Though I'll admit that I'm much more familiar with the Bohm than I am with the Krips, which I haven't heard in a while.  But I seem to remember thinking that they were very similar in approach -- maybe I need to give Krips a fresh listen...
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

mszczuj

Quote from: Opus106 on July 26, 2012, 10:27:24 PM
I'm surprised that no one has suggested the string quartets yet, at least the 'Haydn' set.

They are of course great but for me they lack something special which makes Mozart one of the greatest composer of al time.

I really think that late String Quintets, String Trio, Wind Quintet and Piano Concertos are his most interesting instrumental works. I would add 3 last Serenades for winds, and Kegelstatt trio in the 2nd tier before the String and Piano Quartets and late Symphonies and two other works for clarinet in the 3rd tier.