Mozart

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: huntsman on April 05, 2013, 04:33:21 AM
Heh heh!

Well, I am now cheered up and ready to tackle a few more pages, albeit backwards.  ;)

BTW Is this the correct forum to establish, say, who is the best conductor/tenor/violinist for Wolfie's work or do I use the 'Recommended Recordings' forum?

I would do it in the recordings section. Unless you mean his own contemporaries, of course. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

huntsman

[/quote]
Quote from: Opus106 on April 05, 2013, 06:09:09 AM

Well, if you consider that realistically possible, then yes.

Yes to which part?
RAP - Add a C to improve it...

Opus106

Quote from: huntsman on April 05, 2013, 06:09:09 AM
Well, if you consider that realistically possible, then yes.

Yes to which part?

To the one about posting in the recordings section of the forum.
Regards,
Navneeth

huntsman

I'm on a roundabout. >:(

Fortunately I can understand Gurn's reply.  ;)

Parsifal

Quote from: huntsman on April 05, 2013, 06:17:43 AM
I'm on a roundabout. >:(

Fortunately I can understand Gurn's reply.  ;)

I think he means, "if you consider it reasonably possible to establish that any recording is the best."  The one thing you are guaranteed to get from a debate over which recording is "the best" is a partial list of recordings that exist. 

huntsman

Aha. Thanks for the clarity, and yes, I agree totally.

However, I certainly have less Mozart knowledge than those on a Mozart-specific forum so every snippet I collect improves my position.  ;D

Que

Quote from: huntsman on April 05, 2013, 06:42:14 AM
Aha. Thanks for the clarity, and yes, I agree totally.

However, I certainly have less Mozart knowledge than those on a Mozart-specific forum so every snippet I collect improves my position.  ;D

Go to the forum's home page, click "search", enter "Mozart", and make sure to tick the box "Search in topic subjects only" before commencing the search. Do a second search with "Mozart's"

Some of the results (which are admittedly somewhat of a mess - there's no coherent approach in picking topic...)

Mozart's Piano Sonatas

Mozart's String Quartets and Quintets.

Mozart's Requiem K. 626

Mozart's Great Mass in C minor, K.427

Mozart Piano Concertos

Mozart Symphonies

Mozart: String Duos, Trios, & Quintets

Mozart Violin Sonatas

Collecting Mozart

Have fun... 8)

Q

Opus106

Que, I cannot believe you missed the all-important Mozart in Period Performances (HIP). ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

huntsman

Ah....

Lots of Wolfie homework for me. I love it!

Thanks Q&O...!  ;D

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Que

Quote from: Opus106 on April 06, 2013, 12:26:35 AM
Que, I cannot believe you missed the all-important Mozart in Period Performances (HIP). ;D

I didn't, but you already mentioned it. ;D It is interesting however that most Mozart talk outside the realm of the "war horses" is done by HIPpies*! :)

*people that are interested in period performances.

Q

huntsman

That Newman thread really opens up a can of worms.  ???

Going to take me weeks to wade through it all, but read it I shall!  ;D

Karl Henning

Quote from: huntsman on April 06, 2013, 02:23:41 AM

He is an iconic Conspiracy Theory nut. Everyone else's proof is suspect, but his proof is unassailable.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: huntsman on April 06, 2013, 02:23:41 AM

Going to take me weeks to wade through it all, but read it I shall!  ;D

Well, as ling as you realize up front that all of those "proofs" are simply made up to match the situation, then you can read it with a clear conscience and an internal grin.   :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

San Antone

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 06, 2013, 06:37:29 AM
Well, as ling as you realize up front that all of those "proofs" are simply made up to match the situation, then you can read it with a clear conscience and an internal grin.   :)

8)

A teacher I had describes that kind of rhetoric akin to shooting your arrows into the side of a barn and then later drawing bull's-eyes around them.

Karl Henning

Quote from: sanantonio on April 06, 2013, 05:42:34 PM
A teacher I had describes that kind of rhetoric akin to shooting your arrows into the side of a barn and then later drawing bull's-eyes around them.

Hah!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

huntsman

I've just finished all 29 pages from http://www.talkclassical.com/1697-controversy-over-true-musical.html and my eyeballs are spinning...! (I got the address from a post in your link Opus106)

I see no reason for locking the thread, though. A couple of members could have been warned and then blocked from the thread which was not inflammatory in itself. Only from p10 or so when a Manuel entered with blazing guns did things start to go awry.

Anyhoo, I still love Wolfie's stuff, regardless of who wrote what.

Brahmsian

Quote from: huntsman on April 07, 2013, 01:35:20 AM
I've just finished all 29 pages from http://www.talkclassical.com/1697-controversy-over-true-musical.html and my eyeballs are spinning...! (I got the address from a post in your link Opus106)

I see no reason for locking the thread, though. A couple of members could have been warned and then blocked from the thread which was not inflammatory in itself. Only from p10 or so when a Manuel entered with blazing guns did things start to go awry.

Anyhoo, I still love Wolfie's stuff, regardless of who wrote what.

The blazing guns from Manuel were justified.  Rob Newman had tried the same conspriacy theory on another classical music site of which Rob, myself, Manual and some other GMG members were a member of prior to our caravan over to GMG.  ;D

Brahmsian

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 07, 2013, 06:10:07 AM
The blazing guns from Manuel were justified.  Rob Newman had tried the same conspriacy theory on another classical music site of which Rob, myself, Manual and some other GMG members were a member of prior to our caravan over to GMG.  ;D

In fact, it was Manuel's controversially 'banning' off the mentioned classical music site that angered several former members and Manuel, myself and others 'migrated' onto GMG.  :)

A blessing in disguise (for me at least) as it was my discovering GMG.  A wonderful site, and I'm happier here!  :)