Mozart

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on April 17, 2013, 02:27:14 PM
+1

The merits and beauty of this set cannot be exaggerated. It is strictly mandatory, IMHO.

Amen. Although it doesn't say in the notes, I believe that the 'Amadeus Winds' are, in fact, the wind soloists of the Academy of Ancient Music, who number among the finest period instrumentalists in the world. Every Mozart fan...etc. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Speaking of Mozart (as indeed we must!), I am currently searching for a set (even one made of several disparate disks) of the orchestral serenades and divertimenti performed on PI. Even ones on MI are thin on the ground, it seems, but they can be had. I have 2 different sets (AAM & Tafelmusik) of the 'symphonies from serenades', but as for the full serenades, a couple by Collegium Aureum are as far as I've got. Is there something out there that I've missed?  ???

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Parsifal

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 17, 2013, 03:45:42 PM
Speaking of Mozart (as indeed we must!), I am currently searching for a set (even one made of several disparate disks) of the orchestral serenades and divertimenti performed on PI. Even ones on MI are thin on the ground, it seems, but they can be had. I have 2 different sets (AAM & Tafelmusik) of the 'symphonies from serenades', but as for the full serenades, a couple by Collegium Aureum are as far as I've got. Is there something out there that I've missed?  ???

8)

What are the K numbers of these elusive serenades?  I thought the big Hogwood box of symphonies contained other "symphonic" works, including serenades.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

BTW speaking of serenades: Do people prefer the original wind serenade K. 388, or its string quintet incarnation, K. 406?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Wakefield

8)

No, apparently not, as far I can recall of a research I did some time ago.

Anyway, your question brought to my mind this beautiful disc:

[asin]B000SQJ2EQ[/asin]

Is it on your shelves, Gurn? :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on April 17, 2013, 04:06:43 PM
No, apparently not, as far I can recall of a research I did some time ago.

Anyway, your question brought to my mind this beautiful disc:

[asin]B000SQJ2EQ[/asin]

Is it on your shelves, Gurn? :)

No, but it will be now. Just the sort of thing I'm looking for. You're The Man, Gordo!!   :)

8)

Que

Quote from: Geo Dude on April 17, 2013, 11:19:07 AM
This is great

Which leaves me sorely tempted to get this next month:

Love the Neidich/L'Archibudelli, don't know the Mosaïques, but I'm putting forward another favourite of mine - Jean-Claude Veilhan et al:

[asin]B00005V21Q[/asin]

And you get an epic performance of the Brahms included.... :)

Q

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 17, 2013, 04:13:11 PM
No, but it will be now. Just the sort of thing I'm looking for. You're The Man, Gordo!!   :)

8)

Great!

Walking from the office to home, while I was listening to some Telemann's Essercizii, I suddenly recalled this disc:

Although I'm almost sure you have it; if not, it's more easily available under this form:

[asin]B000A169M2[/asin]

:)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Geo Dude on April 17, 2013, 11:19:07 AM

Which leaves me sorely tempted to get this next month:

Some really nice recs, here (for the Clarinet Quintet). The Mosaïques is a front-runner though for some time now my first choice has been a disc by Oxalys. The extra spunk and buoyancy nudges this one out front, but only by a nose.

But the disc's "fillers" shouldn't be overlooked: the performances of the flute quartets are the most impressive I've heard in all my Mozart-listening life. Excellent all around.

[asin]B0007KT0JA[/asin]

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Octave

DD, is that Oxalys disc on period instruments?
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

HIPster

8)

I thought of this one immediately, when I read your post, Gurn:

[asin]B00009RAXQ[/asin]

I've been looking at it for a while now. . .

That Freiburger Barockorchester has also had my eye too, though the price is a bit inflated for my liking.  I keep waiting (ha!) for a Freiburger Mozart Boxed set to appear; of course to include this disc.

The La Petite Bande looks excellent (well done Gordon - nice finds).

Still, the Koopman seems to be a winner from my perspective and I have liked his Mozart previously. 
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Octave

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on April 17, 2013, 06:42:40 PM
[asin]B000A169M2[/asin]
Quote from: HIPster on April 17, 2013, 09:38:47 PM
That Freiburger Barockorchester has also had my eye too, though the price is a bit inflated for my liking.  I keep waiting (ha!) for a Freiburger Mozart Boxed set to appear; of course to include this disc.

I cannot remember where you live, HIPster, but the Freiburger reissue disc pictured just above can be had for $9 from Arkiv Music (USA), before shipping.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: HIPster on April 17, 2013, 09:38:47 PM
I thought of this one immediately, when I read your post, Gurn:

[asin]B00009RAXQ[/asin]

I've been looking at it for a while now. . .

The La Petite Bande looks excellent (well done Gordon - nice finds).

Still, the Koopman seems to be a winner from my perspective and I have liked his Mozart previously.

Oh, on the Koopman, buy with confidence; I got it several weeks ago and quite enjoy it.

I'm definitely looking at that Freiburg Baroque, now that I know about it. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Also recommend this one, which has a very nice Haffner Serenade;

[asin]B0000CG3H4[/asin]

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 18, 2013, 04:08:08 AM
I'm definitely looking at that Freiburg Baroque, now that I know about it. :)

I bought this disc several years ago, but I haven't heard it for years. IIRC, but I could be wrong, it had some extreme dynamic contrasts which I considered a bit weird at first... But it was, as I say, years ago, when I was a little more conservative in these points. 
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on April 18, 2013, 04:20:30 AM
I bought this disc several years ago, but I haven't heard it for years. IIRC, but I could be wrong, it had some extreme dynamic constrasts which were a bit weird at first... But it was, as I say, years ago, when I was a little more conservative in these points.

Well, I already have some very interesting versions of all 4 of the works on there, still, if I can pick it up reasonably (Arkiv is looking good if their website gets repaired) I will add a different voice.

I also have the Hogwood / AAM "Posthorn" which is very good. One needs be careful not to end up with the symphony reduction unless that is what is wanted.  But Serenades #3, 4 &  5, so-called, and the big divertimenti, like K 334 ("Robinig") are thin on the ground as of yet. :-\

8)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Octave on April 17, 2013, 09:12:16 PM
DD, is that Oxalys disc on period instruments?

Apparently with Oxalys pretty much everything is modern:

"The group...likes to make its concerts visually attractive and special and to this end regularly makes use of the creative talent of fashion designers". (From their website).

"They present well known sites to the public in a novel manner and create a symbiosis of architecture, music, and light". (Liner notes).

"The Belgian fashion designer Kaat Tilley was responsible for design and costumes of the women members of the ensemble". (Liner notes).

"A" train stuff! :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Gurn Blanston

Has anyone heard this disk before?

I saw a used (like new ::) ) copy of it and scooped it up, it has some of my favorite players on it. Just curious how it pans out. :)

8)

San Antone

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 18, 2013, 12:44:32 PM
Has anyone heard this disk before?

I saw a used (like new ::) ) copy of it and scooped it up, it has some of my favorite players on it. Just curious how it pans out. :)

8)

It is on Spotify and I have listened to it.  You should be happy.  A nice selection, the trios K. 498 & 548 and a hodge-podge of other works.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on April 18, 2013, 12:50:16 PM
It is on Spotify and I have listened to it.  You should be happy.  A nice selection, the trios K. 498 & 548 and a hodge-podge of other works.

Ah, very good. I know Lawson is always a safe choice, and Macintosh too. I'm glad you actually heard it though. Hope it really IS in good shape when it arrives!  :)

8)