Mozart

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HIPster

Quote from: Octave on April 17, 2013, 10:14:47 PM
I cannot remember where you live, HIPster, but the Freiburger reissue disc pictured just above can be had for $9 from Arkiv Music (USA), before shipping.

Thank you, Octave!  Yes, the USA.

Is that for a CD or a CDR?

Cheers!
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Octave

Quote from: HIPster on April 18, 2013, 03:09:21 PM
Thank you, Octave!  Yes, the USA.

Is that for a CD or a CDR?

Cheers!

The FBO/HM Mozart disc appears to be a real CD; afaik all the CDRs are conscientiously marked 'ArkivCD' if they are burn-on-demand.  Here is the link:
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=108884
It's does say 'Import CD....2-3 Days', whatever that means.  I might get it, myself!

The Oxalys flute quartets and clarinet quintet disc that DD recommended is still available from Amazon US-MP for $3+ship, FWIW.  I impulse-bought the hell out of it!  DD's quotes about the group's chic'ness gave me a chuckle.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Mandryka

Quote from: Parsifal on April 17, 2013, 11:56:11 AM
I'd say the finest recording I've hear of that work is this one:

[asin]B000002S11[/asin]

That's a nice record. My own favourite for some reason is this one, which has the Mozart quintet with Ronald van Spaendonck.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Parsifal

Here's a minor puzzle, on the Hogwood complete symphony edition (disc 12) there is "Symphony in D major, K 320" which is a 3 movement work.  That's the same K number as the Posthorn Serenade, and the "symphony" consists of 3 movements apparently selected from the serenade (1st, 5th and 7th).   I guess in those days a symphony was a fragment of a serenade.

Hogwood's performance is outstanding, and there is some wonderfully adventurous use of the orchestra in this music. 

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Parsifal on April 19, 2013, 12:36:07 PM
Here's a minor puzzle, on the Hogwood complete symphony edition (disc 12) there is "Symphony in D major, K 320" which is a 3 movement work.  That's the same K number as the Posthorn Serenade, and the "symphony" consists of 3 movements apparently selected from the serenade (1st, 5th and 7th).   I guess in those days a symphony was a fragment of a serenade.

Hogwood's performance is outstanding, and there is some wonderfully adventurous use of the orchestra in this music.

Not so much a mystery as a little known fact. The orchestral serenades were 7 or 8 movements long. In order to make a little extra on the side, Leopold (and I'm thinking here that this wasn't confined to the Mozart's alone) had Wolfgang take and extract the opening movement and 2 or 3 others (a slow movement, minuet and finale mostly) and make a symphony that he could sell to publishers outside of Salzburg, where serenades weren't the fashion. In addition, he took the movements with obbligato solo instruments, usually the 2nd & 3rd, sometimes the 4th also, and made a concerto out of them. The "Posthorn Serenade" makes a symphony and an oboe concerto, IIRC. If you explore that box, you ill find several more "Symphonies from Serenades". :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

San Antone

I don't know if this recording has been mentioned re: the Mozart Clarinet Quintet on PI - but I am listening to it right now and it is very nice.

On original instruments

Alan Hacker
C clarinet by Hart of Hatton Garden;
Bb clarinet by Bilton of Westminster Bridge Road with basset extension by Brian Ackerman;
A clarinet by Thomas Key of Charing Cross with basset extension by Brian Ackerman;
all clarinets early nineteenth century

Lesley Schatzberger
Basset horn in F by Griesbacher of Vienna c.1790.

Simon Standage
Violin by Mariani, Brescia c.1650
Bow by James Dodd

Micaela Comberti
Violin; probably English copy of Stainer c.1740
Bow by Percy Bryant after Dodd

Trevor Jones
Viola by Rowland Ross 1980, after Stradivari
Bow by James Dodd

Jennifer Ward Clarke
Cello; attributed to Dom Nicolo Amati, Bologna c.1730
Bow by Matthew Coltman after Dodd

:)

Geo Dude

This is a delightful disc and the liner notes are nice.  It's hard to imagine someone successfully busking by playing classical music but the picture Podger paints of using that to scrape by during her college days puts a smile on my face.

EDIT:

This one is a no-brainer, much like his solo sonata discs:

Octave

Interested in these recordings of late symphonies by Harnoncourt with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe:

I own the Harnoncourt (plus some Koopman/Leppard) 8cd symphonies collection on Telarc/Warner (with the Royal Concertgebouw), and it's exciting.  Curious how his approach to these late symphonies differs between the two recordings; especially curious if having the RCO recordings makes the CoE recording not terribly necessary.  I might have answered my question already with research (see quotes by Scarpia on RCO, Lilas Pastia on COE, and Mandryka on Harnoncourt generally, below); but I thought I'd ask again.

Quote from: Scarpia on March 25, 2010, 11:23:51 AM
[...]But for me the greatest ever to come down the pike is the Harnoncourt, Concertgebouw (not the Harnoncourt Chamber Orchestra of Europe).  I vividly remember first hearing them and being stunned to hear horns and trumpets barking and timpani whacking in Mozart.  I seem to recall notes written for the recordings by Harnoncourt himself in which he expressed the opinion that Mozart was a brilliant orchestrator who loved the sound of the orchestra, and who was poorly served by the polite style of performance of his music.  It sometimes irks me to see Minkowski's admittedly excellent recordings described as revolutionary, when Harnoncourt was doing the same back in the 80's.  (Well, I'm sure it is revolutionary to the producers at DG, who considered it obligatory to record Karajan's sissified Mozart.)

Quote from: Mandryka on October 30, 2012, 12:46:28 AM
Quote from: Lilas Pastia on October 29, 2012, 03:38:24 PM
Of Harnoncourt's Mozart symphonies I have the COA and the COE (the latter is more to my taste, having a better internal flow to them). I also attended a concert in which he played the 25th,  40th and concerto 16 in Amsterdam. I recall how jolting the effect was. [...]
I expect he's  doing it  deliberately, he probably thinks you could do with a good jolting. You know he believes  that romantic interpretations of baroque music make the music too smooth and easy, with the emphasis on luxuriant long lines, legato, and dissonances understated. He thinks that this denudes the  music of some of its meaning, and reduces it to just palatable, easy to eat, ear candy. Pap. At his best, his Bach is full of jolts and dissonances.

He may well feel the same about Mozart. That's part of what I meant by suggesting that the textures that repel you may be "valid."

One thing that interested me was that the one late Mozart symphony he did record with CMV he didn't record afterwards as far as I know (38).

Mandryka

The chamber orchestra sound is  different from the richer concertgebauw sound. The tempos in some some movements are slightly more deliberate with the Concertgenauw than with the COE.  I tend to play the COE more often. i woud say tha COE is smetimes  more severe. You need to also add the CMV 38 into the equation, it's on a DVD.

By the way I only know the COE records through a DG DVD.  i haven't tried to find out if they're the same as what's in that box.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Octave

Thanks for the reply, Mandryka; I'll check the Warner discs out.

Karl Henning

Could easily cross-post either in opera or the Super Duper Cheap Bargain thread . . . . mp3s of Die Zauberflöte, Le nozze de Figaro, Don Giovanni, & Così fan tutte for $1.99, the lot
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Octave

Beautiful.

I was pleased to see Janeane Garofalo in the chorus.

LVB_opus.125

Greetings, GMG! I'm a long time lurker, seldom poster. I don't feel I have the wealth of knowledge to contribute on a regular basis, but I arrive here on Mozart's musings with a question for a book recommendation. I want a book compiling Mozart's letters, and an Amazon search yielded a surprising amount of results! Which individual book should I hone in on? Thanks. :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: LVB_opus.125 on June 14, 2013, 06:22:10 AM
Greetings, GMG! I'm a long time lurker, seldom poster. I don't feel I have the wealth of knowledge to contribute on a regular basis, but I arrive here on Mozart's musings with a question for a book recommendation. I want a book compiling Mozart's letters, and an Amazon search yielded a surprising amount of results! Which individual book should I hone in on? Thanks. :)

And back at'cha. Nice to see someone de-lurk from time to time... :)

This is a much recommended book;

[asin]0393328309[/asin]

The only naysayer among the Amazon reviewers happens to be someone for whom I have much respect (Dr. M. Lorenz), and so I don't know quite what to make of his mini-rant. Emily Anderson was the standard for years, but perhaps her translations, which were rather euphemistic when it came to MY Mozart (the crude little joker), needed some updating. If that one negative review came from a known crackhead, my rec would be unreserved for this book. :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

I have that edition, and I can recommend it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Octave

In an old discussion of the Boulez disc with the GRAN PARTITA and Berg's CHAMBER CONCERTO, speaking of favored GPs:
Quote from: Lilas Pastia on April 11, 2009, 01:03:48 PM
[...]I already have a few K361 that I enjoy - but not the Netherlands Wind ensemble one - is it another one than the early seventies Philips release?? I love the gemütlich Collegium Aureum, the bold and elegant Ensemble Philidor and the luscious, piquant and creamy sounds of the Hungarian Opera winds. The latter is the only one I've heard where the instruments have a distinct corporate personality. Interpretively it's affectionate yet classical in feeling.

I did some searching for the Hungarian Opera Winds recording of the GRAN PARTITA and had trouble finding it.  Could someone help me with this?
(I saw one listing as part of a radio playlist, but the only discog info said 'White Label'.)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Octave on June 28, 2013, 10:35:13 PM
In an old discussion of the Boulez disc with the GRAN PARTITA and Berg's CHAMBER CONCERTO, speaking of favored GPs:
I did some searching for the Hungarian Opera Winds recording of the GRAN PARTITA and had trouble finding it.  Could someone help me with this?
(I saw one listing as part of a radio playlist, but the only discog info said 'White Label'.)

I can only offer a tiny bit of a clue that might advance the cause: 'White Label' is Hungaroton's reissue/budget appendage. So if you check out Hungaroton that might narrow things. I've never heard anything by that ensemble... :-\

8)

Parsifal

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 29, 2013, 05:24:05 AM
I can only offer a tiny bit of a clue that might advance the cause: 'White Label' is Hungaroton's reissue/budget appendage. So if you check out Hungaroton that might narrow things. I've never heard anything by that ensemble... :-\

8)

Cover is white, and everything.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000N64JQM/?tag=goodmusicguideco

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/w.-a.-mozart-wind-serenade/id382298516

Gurn Blanston