Mozart

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Karl Henning

. . . and of course, one of the 13 wind instruments, is a string bass 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on June 30, 2013, 08:23:16 AM

Clearly a faux pas on the part of the production staff. Serenade for 13 Instruments is far more correct since the 13th is indeed a double baß; the score is marked pizz. in several places in Mozart's own handwriting, so there isn't a lot of room to substitute a contrabassoon correctly. :)

If it makes them feel better, I've seen the same mistake many times, made, no doubt, by people who cannot count. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Oh, truly, a general mistake with which there's no catching up!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Octave

Thanks Scarpia and everyone, but $34 used?
Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 29, 2013, 06:35:52 AM
There you go! Not my cuppa'Joe, but certainly can be had. Knowing Octave, it will be. :)
Time for "other means"!

But thanks also for the Itunes option.  Sad to see Hungaroton in decline.   :(
Wish I'd been into their content ~5 years ago.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

jlaurson

Quote from: karlhenning on June 30, 2013, 08:23:16 AM

You never know how much wind Mozart assumed a double bass player would ...make or break... during this work.

(His humor was crude enough.)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Geo Dude

My, this is one hell of a disc.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on July 05, 2013, 04:23:44 PM

My, this is one hell of a disc.

Kirkby is in top form there, her voice is a thing of beauty. Pretty fine music too, I must say.

[asin]B00000E2QR[/asin]

This is the only other disk of Mozart sacred music (save the Requiem) that they've done, to my knowledge. Kirkby was then as good as she ever was, and in this disk, that was pretty fine!  The 2 disks are indispensable, IMO.  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

San Antone

I have the Coronation Mass and Requiem recordings by Kirby and Hogwood - both very fine.  I did not know of the other one Gurn suggests and may add it to my collection.

Brahmsian

Thanks to Brian, I am now listening to these marvelous chamber works, and recordings on this 2-fer!  :)

[asin]B0000041EK[/asin]

Brahmsian

While getting up this morning, I haven't been able to stop humming the 3rd mvt. Andante from Mozart's 18th string quartet in A major, K.464

So....here we go!  :)

I'll probably end up listening to the whole set, as I usually do!  ;D

[asin]B000024MCP[/asin]

Brahmsian

Listening to an old disc, the first disc I ever bought of Mozart's symphonies.  Haven't listened to it in a long time.  "Un-HIP" Mozart, to be sure.  :D  But it is Szell and The Cleveland Orchestra.  Wonder if Sarge has heard it.  ;D

Can't seem to find the cover art on it.  It has a picture of 'The Topiany Garden', by Peter Szumowski

Mozart

Symphony No. 40 in G minor, K.550
Symphony No. 41 in C major, K.551 "Jupiter"

CBS Records Masterworks (Maestro)

Szell, conducting
The Cleveland Orchestra

No liner notes, but looks like 1956 recording.  Bought it at a used CD shop here in Winnipeg, probably about 5 or 6 years ago.  :D

Roberto

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 17, 2013, 04:50:45 AM
I'll probably end up listening to the whole set, as I usually do!  ;D
Maybe the best complete Mozart mature SQ set!

QuoteListening to an old disc, the first disc I ever bought of Mozart's symphonies.
My first Mozart disc (and my first classical music CD) was this:
[asin]B000051KMV[/asin]
I bought it 12 years ago.  :)

marvinbrown

Well I can't believe that it has taken me this long to post on this thread. As many of you know I am a opera fanatic and a hopeless and helpless Wagnerian. But what many of you might not know is that it was Mozart that got me into opera!  I too was addicted to the film Amadeus (with its glorious Commendatore Scene)...superb! A real shame that that scene is restricted to that film only (although I do have an mp3 version of it somewhere in my database....but I digress  ::))

ENJOY:

http://www.youtube.com/v/yOw1NLizCZA

I am currently going through this set and enjoying it thoroughly:

[asin]B001TH28EY[/asin]

These are the operas from the Philips MEGA BOXSET that is now so outrageously expensive that I wonder if it will ever go back in print at an affordable price during my lifetime.  Incidentally that is the same mega boxset that has the Uchida Piano sonatas.

Anyone interested in Mozart's operas should grab the set I posted above, before it too goes out of print or becomes prohibitively expensive. Other opera recordings I recommend are:

[asin]B002N4DZ2G[/asin] [asin]B000002S1E[/asin] [asin]B002N4DZ1W[/asin] [asin]B00099BPNS[/asin]

Happy Listening  :)

marvin

marvinbrown

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 16, 2013, 06:28:57 AM
Thanks to Brian, I am now listening to these marvelous chamber works, and recordings on this 2-fer!  :)

[asin]B0000041EK[/asin]

I have had that recording in my shopping basket for many months now.  Perhaps it is now time to pull the trigger!

marvin

Brahmsian

Quote from: marvinbrown on November 21, 2013, 12:50:54 AM
  I have had that recording in my shopping basket for many months now.  Perhaps it is now time to pull the trigger!

marvin

;D  Fixed!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 20, 2013, 05:05:41 PM
Listening to an old disc, the first disc I ever bought of Mozart's symphonies.  Haven't listened to it in a long time.  "Un-HIP" Mozart, to be sure.  :D  But it is Szell and The Cleveland Orchestra.  Wonder if Sarge has heard it.  ;D

The mono recordings of 40 and 41....yeah, I own them. They were included in the Szell/Mozart Original Jacket box. Recorded in November 1955, released in 1956. I prefer them to the stereo remakes.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

LVB_opus.125

Greetings. I am a long time lurker (since 2007) and I occasionally post, but not much, obviously. Anyways, I felt the need to make a cameo in the Mozart thread because I really feel that after so many years, Wolfie is finally cementing himself into the number three top spot, behind Bach and Beethoven, as my favorite composer.

About a week ago I had a sudden urge to go through my all too miniscule Mozart CD collection and listen through again. The results have really moved me deeply, going as far to say that I had a Maslow-like Peak Experience while listening to the Clarinet Concerto while taking a star lit walk in the late evening winter dark, traversing through a then closed golf course, decorated by many diverse trees, seen only in silhouette. Gazing up into the clear starry night, the sublime adagio unfolded its glowing, serene majesty and I nearly wanted to fall to my knees in a quasi-religious ecstacy.

This all may sound hyperbolic or at worst pretentious, but this is the how and why I listen to music to begin with - to be deeply moved. It's not unusual for me to shed a few tears at a live performance of a beloved work, even if it's not an amazing performance. To move beyond the fantastic and the absurd, describing why I have now fallen deeply for Mozart's work is a task for a non-musician, without an array of technical terms at my disposal, but I'll give it a try.

His melodies are on the surface simple, but as a joyful childlike playfulness, but sometimes allows for darker shades of grey, and occasionally explode in proud triumph, with total confidence and assurance. This music is above all a celebration of being alive. While the main melodic line tends to be simple, it is decorated by wonderful shades and subtle variety in the supporting lines. Example: movement #2 in the PC #21 would seem like one long repetition of a theme to an inattentive listener, but for me it is wound in a calmly flowing support of variety - different melodies, different instrumental colorings. Saying all this doesn't even begin to describe the deep beauty at work.

Brahmsian

Quote from: LVB_opus.125 on December 22, 2013, 05:19:36 PM
Greetings. I am a long time lurker (since 2007) and I occasionally post, but not much, obviously. Anyways, I felt the need to make a cameo in the Mozart thread because I really feel that after so many years, Wolfie is finally cementing himself into the number three top spot, behind Bach and Beethoven, as my favorite composer.

About a week ago I had a sudden urge to go through my all too miniscule Mozart CD collection and listen through again. The results have really moved me deeply, going as far to say that I had a Maslow-like Peak Experience while listening to the Clarinet Concerto while taking a star lit walk in the late evening winter dark, traversing through a then closed golf course, decorated by many diverse trees, seen only in silhouette. Gazing up into the clear starry night, the sublime adagio unfolded its glowing, serene majesty and I nearly wanted to fall to my knees in a quasi-religious ecstacy.

This all may sound hyperbolic or at worst pretentious, but this is the how and why I listen to music to begin with - to be deeply moved. It's not unusual for me to shed a few tears at a live performance of a beloved work, even if it's not an amazing performance. To move beyond the fantastic and the absurd, describing why I have now fallen deeply for Mozart's work is a task for a non-musician, without an array of technical terms at my disposal, but I'll give it a try.

His melodies are on the surface simple, but as a joyful childlike playfulness, but sometimes allows for darker shades of grey, and occasionally explode in proud triumph, with total confidence and assurance. This music is above all a celebration of being alive. While the main melodic line tends to be simple, it is decorated by wonderful shades and subtle variety in the supporting lines. Example: movement #2 in the PC #21 would seem like one long repetition of a theme to an inattentive listener, but for me it is wound in a calmly flowing support of variety - different melodies, different instrumental colorings. Saying all this doesn't even begin to describe the deep beauty at work.

I'm with you.  And Mozart's Clarinet Concerto is as sublime as it gets.  What a fantastic, great late work of his.

Have you heard the Great Mass in C minor?  Or the Gran Partita Serenade?