Mozart

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJ Joe

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 04, 2014, 02:39:04 PM
Oh thou Wolfgang....I have missed you!  :)

And when I miss you....more often than not, I turn to your final ten string quartets, from this magnificent set:

Listening to disc 2:

String Quartet No. 15 in D minor
String Quartet No. 16 in E flat major
String Quartet No. 20 in D major, K.499 "Hoffmeister"
   paging Karl Henning!!!  :D

[asin]B000024MCP[/asin]

I've been on a serious Mozart binge the past week or so.  Haven't gotten to this one just yet, but will be getting to it soon.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Que

Quote from: NJ Joe on April 04, 2014, 04:26:34 PM
I've been on a serious Mozart binge the past week or so.  Haven't gotten to this one just yet, but will be getting to it soon.

A superb set, you won't regret it. :)

Q

Karl Henning

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 04, 2014, 02:39:04 PM
Oh thou Wolfgang....I have missed you!  :)

And when I miss you....more often than not, I turn to your final ten string quartets, from this magnificent set:

Listening to disc 2:

String Quartet No. 15 in D minor
String Quartet No. 16 in E flat major
String Quartet No. 20 in D major, K.499 "Hoffmeister"
   paging Karl Henning!!!  :D

[asin]B000024MCP[/asin]

Mm, looks nice, Ray!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

The last 10 quartets are fairly high on my shopping list at the moment, but I haven't decided whose versions I might be getting.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: orfeo on April 08, 2014, 07:07:25 PM
The last 10 quartets are fairly high on my shopping list at the moment, but I haven't decided whose versions I might be getting.

Nothing from the Quatuor Mosaïques is in print but they've always been the standard for me.

There are any number of individual alternatives from around the classical globe, including the Hagen Quartet, Emerson Quartet, Leipzig Quartet, and the Quartetto Italiano.   

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Roberto

I bought Alban Berg Quartet Teldec set years ago. I tried to find better recordings but this effort was unsuccessful.  :) If you want a complete set I think it is the best choice. I listened to Quatour Mosaiques on YouTube and although I love their Haydn recordings I found their Mozart a little bit less successful. Sometimes I missed the drama and power (compared to ABQ).
And there is a recording which is mandatory for all Mozart fans:
[asin]B0057JWXAY[/asin]
It contains only 2 quartets and a divertimento but played with incredible imagination and passion.

Florestan

Listen to them all and then decide!  ;D

I second the ABQ!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on April 24, 2014, 06:54:21 AM
I second the ABQ!

I've had these playing in the car for two weeks now;  love 'em!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

Quote from: karlhenning on April 24, 2014, 07:06:43 AM
I've had these playing in the car for two weeks now;  love 'em!

+1!  :)

Madiel

Heck, even my good old Penguin Guide (it has to be at least little old to be good, but that's another story) likes the Teldec Alban Berg a lot. Righto then.

It's especially good that they made me aware there is also an EMI Alban Berg set, which isn't up to the same standard.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Here are some of my favourites:

The Janacek Quartet in K387
The Juilliard's 1957 K 465  on Testment.
The Netherlands Quartet Mozart CD on spotify, especially K499.
the Budapest Quartet's first recording of the Hoffmeister
Melos Quartet Hoffmerster
The Petersen Quartet's Prussian quartets. The others are very good too.
Ebene 465

(You see that it's K 499 that I've explored the most, for no good reason - I don't really think it's up to the same standard as the earlier quartets, but it's still music I like.)

If you just want to buy a box, I think Petersen is outstanding. Certainly ABQ is servicable. Either of their recordings will do the job. Less keen on Mosaiques myself.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Roberto

And what about the string quintets?
I have the Amadeus Quartet DG album but haven't impressed so much but their tempos are quite good I think. I had the Salomon Quartet recording on Hyperion CDs and it seemed boring to me but I have sold it years ago. Now I try to find a good alternative to my Amadeus Quartet recording.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Roberto on May 10, 2014, 05:30:02 AM
I have the Amadeus Quartet DG album but haven't impressed so much but their tempos are quite good I think. I had the Salomon Quartet recording on Hyperion CDs and it seemed boring to me but I have sold it years ago. Now I try to find a good alternative to my Amadeus Quartet recording.

Hi Roberto,

I love the recordings of the Talich Quartet w/ Karel Rehak on Viola II.  It is on the French Calliope label.  Haven't listened to Wolfgang's string quintets in quite some time, so I am off to do that right now!  :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 10, 2014, 06:25:32 AM
I love the recordings of the Talich Quartet w/ Karel Rehak on Viola II.  It is on the French Calliope label.  Haven't listened to Wolfgang's string quintets in quite some time, so I am off to do that right now!  :)

Hello Roberto - I have to agree w/ the above - have owned the Talich Quartet performances (also include the Clarinet Quintet - can't have too versions of that work!) shown below for years (10/10 review from ClassicsToday).

Now I've 'culled out' a number of previous sets (cannot quite remember which ones at the moment) - my other (just have the two) one is w/ the Nash Ensemble (includes just the 6 string works on 3 CDs) - review HERE - but do let us know if you find yet another excellent set - Dave :)

Ken B

Quote from: Roberto on May 10, 2014, 05:30:02 AM
I second the other votes here for Talich.

Roberto

Thank you for the suggestions!  :)
I always try to find downloads or youtube upload before I buy CD (samples on Amazon and other shops are sometimes enough sometimes not).
I always prefer HIP recording so I tried Kuijken's recording which seemed good but violins sound too thin for me. Ensemble 415 was good on Harmonia Mundi but they recorded only 2 quintets. Ensemble Villa Musica was quite good on MDG too.
Modern practice recordings: Smetana quartet on Denon was too thin sounding and nothing special. I have to find another samples from Grumiaux's recording because I could not decide. Melos and Éder Quartet (on DG and Naxos) was good but nothing special for me based on the samples. I am curious about Guarneri Quartet's new issue on Sony but I didn't find any sample. Currently the Orlando Quartet recording on BIS was the most successful (partly because their recording available completely on the BIS listening page). Not always the most imaginative and powerful but playing always with good taste and the sound of the recording is warm and full-bodied.

Roberto

I found more than one Talich Quartet recording:
[asin]B005LL4TW8[/asin]
[asin]B000026CY3[/asin]
[asin]B007CMTNMU[/asin]
Are these the same or what is the difference?
Edited: yes maybe these are the same based on the background image of the first and last: "Original Calliope recording remastered".

SonicMan46

Hi again Roberto - your first image are Mozart String Quartets - immediately below is the image on the cover of the booklet in my Talich set (outside like the 2nd pic you posted from Amazon); interestingly, there is a number of my added image that does not appear on my booklet cover (and a different number on the side of the jewel box) - SO, I suspect that these recordings have been released a number of times by Calliope (now defunct) w/ different cover art & numbers; now the link that I provided in my previous post stated that these are 1995 recordings (my booklet does not state a recording date) - I suspect these have been released over the years w/ different labels and from different companies (suspect your last pic is an example of the latter) - you'll have to just try to find out the recording dates.  Dave :)

Quote from: Roberto on May 11, 2014, 05:50:53 AM
I found more than one Talich Quartet recording:
[asin]B005LL4TW8[/asin]
[asin]B000026CY3[/asin] 
[asin]B007CMTNMU[/asin]
Are these the same or what is the difference?
Edited: yes maybe these are the same based on the background image of the first and last: "Original Calliope recording remastered".

Mandryka

Quote from: Roberto on May 11, 2014, 05:47:27 AM
Thank you for the suggestions!  :)
I always try to find downloads or youtube upload before I buy CD (samples on Amazon and other shops are sometimes enough sometimes not).
I always prefer HIP recording so I tried Kuijken's recording which seemed good but violins sound too thin for me. Ensemble 415 was good on Harmonia Mundi but they recorded only 2 quintets. Ensemble Villa Musica was quite good on MDG too.
Modern practice recordings: Smetana quartet on Denon was too thin sounding and nothing special. I have to find another samples from Grumiaux's recording because I could not decide. Melos and Éder Quartet (on DG and Naxos) was good but nothing special for me based on the samples. I am curious about Guarneri Quartet's new issue on Sony but I didn't find any sample. Currently the Orlando Quartet recording on BIS was the most successful (partly because their recording available completely on the BIS listening page). Not always the most imaginative and powerful but playing always with good taste and the sound of the recording is warm and full-bodied.

I didn't get much pleasure from Kuijken's  rather measured, rock steady, uninvolved style. And I agree with you about Orlando + Imai and Ensemble 415. I can't suggest another good period one, but maybe if you can find it try The Tatrai Quartet + 1, and the Smetana Quartet + Suk. Best of all, if you can download, get the Leipzig Quartet + Helmut Roeder.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Roberto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 11, 2014, 07:10:37 AM
Hi again Roberto - your first image are Mozart String Quartets - immediately below is the image on the cover of the booklet in my Talich set
You are right, I made a mistake, the first is the string quartets box.
I found samples on jpc.de but compared these to the Orlando Qartet I think the Orlando is still the first choice.

Quote from: Mandryka
but maybe if you can find it try The Tatrai Quartet + 1
I found samples on Hungaroton's webshop. It seems good but recorded sound is not so good.  :(