Mozart

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 13, 2014, 12:38:52 PM
I was a little disappointed in this release. I generally love Harnoncourt, but these performances felt so far off the rails. I prefer his Mozart symphonies with the RCO.

The 41 has become my favourite 41 for the moment at least. I very much like its seriousness. I haven't heard the others yet.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Marc

Quote from: Mandryka on October 02, 2014, 07:51:31 AM
The 41 has become my favourite 41 for the moment at least. I very much like its seriousness. I haven't heard the others yet.

And there's also the 'new' Brüggen recording (bless him).
I'm very short on money .... should I try/buy Klauserl or Franzerl?

Mandryka

Quote from: Marc on October 02, 2014, 10:42:43 AM
And there's also the 'new' Brüggen recording (bless him).
I'm very short on money .... should I try/buy Klauserl or Franzerl?

Count Nikolaus de la Fontaine und d'Harnoncourt-Unverzagt. You can see by the way it divides opinion that it's an interesting thing he's done.

Having said that, I've only paid attention to 41 - which is not an easy piece of music to get off the page in my opinion.

Marc

Quote from: Mandryka on October 03, 2014, 03:05:10 AM
Count Nikolaus de la Fontaine und d'Harnoncourt-Unverzagt. You can see by the way it divides opinion that it's an interesting thing he's done.

Having said that, I've only paid attention to 41 - which is not an easy piece of music to get off the page in my opinion.

Yes, and I read/heard some negative stuff about this new twofer .... but somehow the Jupiter seemed to please (or at least seemed to be acceptable to) most people. So, who knows, maybe the other two might shock you, too.
I have Count Unverzagt's Amsterdam recordings and also Brüggen's 40 & 41 from the Philips years.
I know that Klaus is always tickling one's eardrums and I praise him for that, but in this genre I remember I preferred the early (late) Franzerl. With Klaus for instance, I couldn't make a Menuet out of most of 'his' Menuets.
So, in my case, Brüggen would be the safer choice.

But to where will this safety lead me?

(Repetition,
Joy Division,
or Psalm 61?)

Maybe, for the sake of my wallet, I should try the library first.

Mandryka

Quote from: Marc on October 03, 2014, 03:58:24 AM
Yes, and I read/heard some negative stuff about this new twofer .... but somehow the Jupiter seemed to please (or at least seemed to be acceptable to) most people. So, who knows, maybe the other two might shock you, too.
I have Count Unverzagt's Amsterdam recordings and also Brüggen's 40 & 41 from the Philips years.
I know that Klaus is always tickling one's eardrums and I praise him for that, but in this genre I remember I preferred the early (late) Franzerl. With Klaus for instance, I couldn't make a Menuet out of most of 'his' Menuets.
So, in my case, Brüggen would be the safer choice.

But to where will this safety lead me?

(Repetition,
Joy Division,
or Psalm 61?)

Maybe, for the sake of my wallet, I should try the library first.

Safe!!!!!!!!! This is art.

Gurn Blanston

FWIW, I received in yesterday's mail, so unlistened at the moment, a new release from one of my favorite bands; Concilium musicum Wien / Paul Angerer. Along with a half dozen Michael Haydn minuets, and Joseph's Sinfonia concertante there is a Mozart 41. Although I only have 8-10 disks by this group, they are all excellent, so I have every expectation this will be too. It's on Gramola, maybe worth a try. Inexpensive in USA at AMP.  :)

[asin]B00HE0KW8Y[/asin]

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Florestan

I have with Angerer and his band an LP with menuets, marches and dances by Mozart. Can be found as cd here: http://www.cdmarket.eu/products/paul-angerer-mozart-menuet-and-dances It's indeed excellent. Great fun!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on October 03, 2014, 05:14:09 AM
I have with Angerer and his band an LP with menuets, marches and dances by Mozart. Can be found as cd here: http://www.cdmarket.eu/products/paul-angerer-mozart-menuet-and-dances It's indeed excellent. Great fun!

Like the look of that one. Hard to find in the States, but I will hunt it down. It would be a nice complement, content-wise, to this one:

[asin]B0000027CB[/asin]

(Tafelmusik/Weil - German Dances)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

TheGSMoeller

I'm sure this old news to many of you...but what a gem I discovered in No. 26 in E-flat Major. A three movement symphony that really seamlessly connects creating one movement.

https://www.youtube.com/v/UkO-k6Zn47Y

Old Listener

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 03, 2014, 06:13:50 AM
Like the look of that one. Hard to find in the States, but I will hunt it down. It would be a nice complement, content-wise, to this one:

[asin]B0000027CB[/asin]

(Tafelmusik/Weil - German Dances)

8)

Might this LP have the same music as the angerer CD

[asin]B000MS4RLI[/asin].

SonicMan46

Mozart - Horn Concertos & Horn Quintet w/ Pip Eastop on a natural horn - if you're a fan of Wolfie's horn works on a natural instrument, then this 'new' release (2011 & 2013 recording dates) may be of interest - well reviewed in the most recent issue of Fanfare (Jul-Aug 2015) (see PDF attached which includes the review + notes from Eastop about the natural horn; also, a review of a newly acquired Fesca CD which I posted in the listening thread).

There are other 'natural horn' recordings of these works - I own the other three below: 1) RJ Kelly w/ the American Classical Orchestra; 2) Lowell Green w/ the Philharmonic Baroque Orch; and 3) Ab Koster w/ Weil & Tafelmusik - the latter two having been my favorites for years - will do some comparative listening later.  Dave :)

Jaakko Keskinen

"I must give you a piece of intelligence that you perhaps already know — namely, that the ungodly arch-villain Voltaire has died miserably like a dog — just like a brute. That is his reward!"

Oh, Wolfie...
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

Well, M. Arouet le jeune knew perfectly well there were many hearts he wasn't winning with remarks like écrasez l'infâme  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jaakko Keskinen

I just now realized how breathtakingly inventive that variation movement in Divertimento/string trio K563 is! The third variation is in B flat minor, not the most common key with Mozart.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Mandryka

Quote from: Alberich on August 28, 2015, 02:35:36 AM
I just now realized how breathtakingly inventive that variation movement in Divertimento/string trio K563 is! The third variation is in B flat minor, not the most common key with Mozart.

Yes. My favourite set of Mozart variations, though the one in the Gran Paritia give it a good run for its money.

Scion7

Ah, a secular humanist, are we, Alberich?   :P
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Jo498

Mozart was only 22 in 1778 and probably sucking up to his father a little here, to ascertain the old man that he would not stray from traditional christianity. But while Mozart remained a Catholic for all his life he also become a freemason, so he was not traditionalist and would probably not have spoken so ill of Voltaire later on. (IMO, Voltaire was quite brilliant but also a smug bastard and I cannot really forgive him making such evil fun of a far greater mind, Leibniz, whom he pictured as Doctor Pangloss in Candide.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Scion7

Doubt it.  Voltaire was reviled by much of the population - steeped in the 'ancien regime' - Mozart was no social revolutionary in the way that even Beethoven moderately was.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Jo498 on August 30, 2015, 05:05:59 AM
Mozart was only 22 in 1778 and probably sucking up to his father a little here, to ascertain the old man that he would not stray from traditional christianity. But while Mozart remained a Catholic for all his life he also become a freemason, so he was not traditionalist and would probably not have spoken so ill of Voltaire later on. (IMO, Voltaire was quite brilliant but also a smug bastard and I cannot really forgive him making such evil fun of a far greater mind, Leibniz, whom he pictured as Doctor Pangloss in Candide.)

Your unwillingness to forgive aside, I find Candide and its evil fun to be a remarkable little book. There are many Pococurantes in this world.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."