Mozart

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on May 13, 2016, 08:22:47 AM
Westminster Gold. If you do an image search, you'll find that they have plenty of equally questionable covers.

How do I do an image search, btw?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Scion7

Ooo, I love SOME of the Westie covers.
Some suck out loud, of course.    :)
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on May 13, 2016, 08:24:33 AM
How do I do an image search, btw?
Just use Google's image search for 'Westminster Gold'.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on May 13, 2016, 08:44:45 AM
Just use Google's image search for 'Westminster Gold'.

Just did. Das Rheingold doesn´t look bad, actually, although it would be more fit for Parsifal.  :D :D :D

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SonicMan46

Piqued my curiosity and put together a collage below - especially like the top two - several I've seen before and lots more to view!  :laugh:  Dave

carlito77

Does anyone have a preference for any of Mozart's piano concertos? Mine is No. 27 in B-flat major, K. 595. Especially when it is performed by Mitsuko Uchida. Breathtaking.

Scion7

Yes, the last seven of the piano concerti.
Ashkenazy is a fine Mozart soloist, as are many others, especially Brendel.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

carlito77

Quote from: Scion7 on May 21, 2016, 04:10:33 AM
Yes, the last seven of the piano concerti.
Ashkenazy is a fine Mozart soloist, as are many others, especially Brendel.

Not too familiar these pianists but from my understanding is that Mitsuko Uchida is renowned as one of the greatest contemporary pianist in interpretatng Mozart's concertos and sonatas. This is all subjective of course as everyone has their favorites.

Florestan

Quote from: carlito77 on May 20, 2016, 05:51:28 PM
Does anyone have a preference for any of Mozart's piano concertos?

9, 20, 21, 24

71 dB

Piano Concertos were those works that made me appreciate Mozart. 20-27 are of constant quality. Hard to pick favorites. Enjoying Perahia's Cycle.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Scion7

Quote from: carlito77 on May 21, 2016, 07:54:48 AM
...  but from my understanding is that Mitsuko Uchida is renowned as one of the greatest contemporary pianist in interpretatng Mozart's concertos and sonatas.

Mmmm.
Anyway, I'd likely stick to a European pianist's (and orchestra/conductor) interpretation for such stuff, simply because of the personal background in the culture they have, giving a more natural performance.
Some will get their backhairs raised by that view, but, hogy ez a módja a fonográf fordul.

jlaurson

Quote from: Scion7 on May 21, 2016, 09:50:15 AM
Mmmm.
Anyway, I'd likely stick to a European pianist's (and orchestra/conductor) interpretation for such stuff, simply because of the personal background in the culture they have, giving a more natural performance.
Some will get their backhairs raised by that view, but, hogy ez a módja a fonográf fordul.

Uchida is a European pianist, for all practical purposes... trained and raised in Vienna; now a Londoner...

carlito77

Mmmm.

Wow, this could almost be construed as a bigoted remark and I'm not saying you are. But Asians are on the rise in classical music as well as in all other fields.  http://www.scena.org/lsm/sm9-5/ascension-Asiatiques-en.htm

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: 71 dB on May 21, 2016, 08:42:09 AM
Piano Concertos were those works that made me appreciate Mozart. 20-27 are of constant quality. Hard to pick favorites. Enjoying Perahia's Cycle.
That I completely agree, a wonderful cycle with no bombast or idiosyncracies, just great piano playing that reveals all the inner voices of Mozart's scores.

Scion7

Quote from: carlito77 on May 21, 2016, 11:16:47 AM
Wow, this could almost be construed as a bigoted remark

yes, by a very ignorant person, it might be

aligreto

+1 for Perahia's Cycle.

carlito77

Quote from: Scion7 on May 21, 2016, 01:38:00 PM
yes, by a very ignorant person, it might be

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.

Socrates

PerfectWagnerite

Mmmm.
Can you recommend a few European pianist/conductor/orchestra combination? By your comments you don't mean "European" as in the UK or Eastern European but rather Austrian/German.

Of all the ones I see here not too many satisfy all those criteria:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_11?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=mozart+piano+concertos&sprefix=mozart+pian%2Cpopular%2C161

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on May 21, 2016, 08:10:18 AM
9, 20, 21, 24

Where is 23? Heretic.

18, 20, 21, 23, 24 to pick five

All from 9 on are good, all from 14 on are great. The Coronation excepted on both counts, it's a clunker, relatively speaking.

Jo498

#9, K 271 is an extraordinary work in many respects, towering over every instrumental piece Mozart wrote before (and over many later ones). Whereas K 413-15 are somewhat small scale and not that interesting but at this stage of his career Mozart would rarely produce anything not worth a listen.

One of the few disappointments is K 537. It is probably meant to be popular (Rosen writes that it was comparably modern, pointing towards Hummel and Beethoven and that it was one of the most popular concertos by Mozart in the 19th century - and it is still quite popular with some listeners) but appears shallow compared to the 10 great ones he wrote ca. 1784-86.
My personal favorites are probably K 491 c minor, overall the grandest, and K 453 G major. Somewhat overlooked favorites are K 449 (especially the brilliant finale) and 456 (especially the slow movement).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal