Mozart

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 21, 2016, 06:22:07 PM
Can you recommend a few European pianist/conductor/orchestra combination? By your comments you don't mean "European" as in the UK or Eastern European but rather Austrian/German.

I don´t know what Scion7 means but I do recommend this:

Excellent cycle all around. And you can´t get more Austrian than that.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Que

Quote from: Florestan on May 22, 2016, 02:01:34 AM

Perhaps not more Austrian, but certainly Austro-Hungarian (although we have recently learned that Salzburg wasn't part of the Empire in Mozart's time):  :D

[asin]B00004YZ36[/asin]

And it happens to be the best complete cycle on modern instruments I know....  8)

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Que on May 22, 2016, 02:33:05 AM
Perhaps not more Austrian, but certainly Austro-Hungarian (although we have recently learned that Salzburg wasn't part of the Empire in Mozart's time):  :D

[asin]B00004YZ36[/asin]

And it happens to be the best complete cycle on modern instruments I know....  8)
Close enough. The guy worked with Furtwangler early in his career so I guess he qualifies.

Fully Scion mentioned Ashkenazy earlier, neither he nor his orchestra is Austrian/German.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Que on May 22, 2016, 02:33:05 AM

I used to have the Anda set (still have two concertos on LP). It's good, but no match for Schiff/Vegh with the same orchestra.

[asin]B000025706[/asin]
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Jaakko Keskinen

The minor key concertos are sublime, as is 21, 22, 23 and 27. Not wanting to sound too predictable, I would like to point out the excellency of KV450 aka no. 15 in B flat major. Amadeus introduced me to this work's delightfully catchy finale.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

jlaurson

Quote from: Florestan on May 22, 2016, 02:01:34 AM

Seconded; there's a new re-issue of that cycle out there: http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2015/12/best-recordings-of-2015-8.html

And frankly, Schiff-Camerata is terrific, too.

North Star

Christian Zacharias & Lausanne on MDG is another very fine cycle.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Many great sets. I like the controversial Sofronitzky set very much indeed. Perahia , Ashkenazy are great . This less known set is excellent too.

[asin]B000VZAVUI[/asin]

Madiel

I don't have a set, Perahia has been on my long-term shopping list for... a long term!

I know the D minor impressed me because it managed to get through to me even on a plane.  In-flight sound quality is hardly a great thing (especially not for classical music), so if I enjoy new music in that setting it makes an impression.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aligreto

Quote from: Ken B on May 22, 2016, 01:45:54 PM
Many great sets. I like the controversial Sofronitzky set very much indeed. Perahia , Ashkenazy are great . This less known set is excellent too.

[asin]B000VZAVUI[/asin]

My interest is piqued. What is the controversial issue with the Sofronitzky set if I may ask?

Ken B

Quote from: aligreto on May 23, 2016, 12:36:09 PM
My interest is piqued. What is the controversial issue with the Sofronitzky set if I may ask?

It is very, very vigorous, and sometimes there are a few ensemble or intonation problems. If Anda is at one end of the interpretative scale -- a prettifier -- then this is at the other end. I think both are great. Here I like the sense of Mozart pushing the bounds of what the orchestra and fortepiano are capable of that comes through. But if you want reflective poetry look elsewhere.

aligreto

Quote from: Ken B on May 23, 2016, 04:26:03 PM
It is very, very vigorous, and sometimes there are a few ensemble or intonation problems. If Anda is at one end of the interpretative scale -- a prettifier -- then this is at the other end. I think both are great. Here I like the sense of Mozart pushing the bounds of what the orchestra and fortepiano are capable of that comes through. But if you want reflective poetry look elsewhere.

My interest is even more piqued. Thank you for that  8)

king ubu

I like that Softonitzky set! With the Bilson/Gardiner, I feel we have two fine PI cycles.

Now if only Bezuidenhout would do one ...

Btw, what's word on Schoonderwoerd's sonatas cycle? Just finally got it and haven't really started listening yet.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Florestan

Quote from: king ubu on May 24, 2016, 10:36:44 AM
Btw, what's word on Schoonderwoerd's sonatas cycle? Just finally got it and haven't really started listening yet.

If it´s the Schoonderwoerd of the infamous Beethoven PCs cycle, then I´ll pass, thank you.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on May 24, 2016, 11:37:54 AM
If it´s the Schoonderwoerd of the infamous Beethoven PCs cycle, then I´ll pass, thank you.  ;D

Since there are few similarities in the music, I doubt it will be relevant. We'll have to judge for ourselves all over again. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Florestan

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 24, 2016, 11:49:53 AM
Since there are few similarities in the music, I doubt it will be relevant. We'll have to judge for ourselves all over again. :)

8)

That´s true as well, but once a traitor...  ;D

Did you like his Beethoven?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on May 24, 2016, 11:55:42 AM
That´s true as well, but once a traitor...  ;D

Did you like his Beethoven?

I was tepid about the concertos. I didn't dislike them intensely, as some did, but I didn't replace my Gardiner/Levin with them either.  :-\  I have never heard any sonatas he may have done...

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Florestan

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 24, 2016, 12:03:21 PM
I have never heard any sonatas he may have done...

Given the way he tackled Beethoven´s piano concertos, I expect him to play them as sonatas for the left hand only, occasionally hitting some key with his nose...  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: king ubu on May 24, 2016, 10:36:44 AM

Then there's still hope.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Mandryka

Are you talking about Beethoven sonatas by Schoonderwoerd? Or Mozart? I never heard he was recording Beethoven solo music. I like his Mozart I think, and indeed the Beethoven op 15 and increasingly the Op 58, but I'm hardly a real connoisseur of Beethoven's orchestrated music.

It got my attention because I'd like to hear op 111/ii on a christofori.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen