Scriabins Temple

Started by mikkeljs, November 20, 2007, 04:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikkeljs

I found a recording of Scriabins last unfinished Preperation for the final Mystery realized by Nemtin. And I read in the cd booklet, that Scriabin believed in some kind of higher level of existence, and that he had serious thoughts about, how his work should transform the human race of the performers and perhabs listeners. 

Do you believe in his idea?

greg

transform them into what? Transformers?

Don

Quote from: mikkeljs on November 20, 2007, 04:44:56 AM
I found a recording of Scriabins last unfinished Preperation for the final Mystery realized by Nemtin. And I read in the cd booklet, that Scriabin believed in some kind of higher level of existence, and that he had serious thoughts about, how his work should transform the human race of the performers and perhabs listeners. 

Although I love Scriabin's music, I don't share his views.  Scriabin was quite ego-centric and perhaps even a nut-job.

Don

Quote from: G...R...E...G... on November 20, 2007, 05:12:28 AM
transform them into what? Transformers?

You've been playing with toys too often. :D

greg

Quote from: Don on November 20, 2007, 03:22:17 PM
Although I love Scriabin's music, I don't share his views.  Scriabin was quite ego-centric and perhaps even a nut-job.
perhabs?

greg

Quote from: Don on November 20, 2007, 03:23:10 PM
You've been playing with toys too often. :D
actually, i think the only reason i can remember their existence is because of the movie lol

Don

Quote from: G...R...E...G... on November 20, 2007, 03:23:59 PM
actually, i think the only reason i can remember their existence is because of the movie lol

You went to see it?

greg

Quote from: Don on November 20, 2007, 03:27:21 PM
You went to see it?
yeah, with my family.
really good movie, have you seen it?

Kullervo

No. If anything it's a reminder of the worst aspects of the Aestheticism "movement" (in quotations because I don't think it can be called a movement per se). People tend to diminish Scriabin's art by citing his "decadent" personality, when they should really be able to appreciate his mastery despite this.

Don

Quote from: G...R...E...G... on November 20, 2007, 03:30:08 PM
yeah, with my family.
really good movie, have you seen it?

I wouldn't see it at the theatre, on Netflix or on free tv stations.  I'll leave that to the young folks in the world.

Don

Quote from: Corey on November 20, 2007, 03:30:57 PM
No. If anything it's a reminder of the worst aspects of the Aestheticism "movement" (in quotations because I don't think it can be called a movement per se). People tend to diminish Scriabin's art by citing his "decadent" personality, when they should really be able to appreciate his mastery despite this.

And I thought all people can easily separate one's art from personality.

Kullervo

Quote from: Don on November 20, 2007, 03:38:58 PM
And I thought all people can easily separate one's art from personality.

Are you expressing surprise that people criticize Scriabin for his personality or just being sarcastic?

Don

Quote from: Corey on November 20, 2007, 03:46:16 PM
Are you expressing surprise that people criticize Scriabin for his personality or just being sarcastic?

There's some sarcasm in my comment.  I do believe that everyone has the ability to make the separation, but many folks refuse to do so.

Mark G. Simon

Don't take this recording as an example of what Scriabin would have written had he lived to compose the music himself. Scriabin left behind only scattered pages of sketches. Nemtin used them up in Part 1 of his three-part marathon, along with some of Scriabin's final piano pieces, which are worked in whole. The rest is a repetition and regurgitation of the same material, over and over with no end. I kind of like Part 1, which was released separately in the late 70s under the title Universe. After that it's just not worth listening to.

mikkeljs

Quote from: Mark G. Simon on November 20, 2007, 07:06:55 PM
Don't take this recording as an example of what Scriabin would have written had he lived to compose the music himself. Scriabin left behind only scattered pages of sketches. Nemtin used them up in Part 1 of his three-part marathon, along with some of Scriabin's final piano pieces, which are worked in whole. The rest is a repetition and regurgitation of the same material, over and over with no end. I kind of like Part 1, which was released separately in the late 70s under the title Universe. After that it's just not worth listening to.

Yes I recognized lots of the piano pieces in it. But I think I liked the work though.
Quote from: Corey on November 20, 2007, 03:30:57 PM
But we might agree, that the music is an unrefusable thing, that gives people something they didn´t had before. So isn´t this the whole idea of transfiguration? And to me it seems, that Scriabin just sow this beauty in such a way, as if it was independent from physical hard work.

O Delvig

Yes, Scriabin was creating a work of art so wondrous that on its premiere the entire world would dissolve in ecstasy and life would become paradise. Then one morning he cut himself shaving and it became infected, and when he realized he was dying he exclaimed, "This is a tragedy!"

That's my favorite Scriabin story.  ;D ;D I also like his "Insect Sonata." It's full of little trills on the piano, these are the INSECTS!! bwa ha ha

they're coming to take me away  $:) $:)

Sydney Grew

Quote from: spaghetti on November 21, 2007, 08:59:34 AM
Yes, Scriabin was creating a work of art so wondrous that on its premiere the entire world would dissolve in ecstasy and life would become paradise. Then one morning he cut himself shaving and it became infected, and when he realized he was dying he exclaimed, "This is a tragedy!"

We find it hard to believe this story about Scryabine's having cut himself while shaving. No, what really happened - as the admirable Norman Lebrecht tells us in his book about composers of the twentieth century - was that during a stay in a London hôtel (we do not for the moment know which one) he was given unclean cutlery, and contracted therefrom a pimple on his upper lip. It was this pimple which did not respond to treatment in those pre-penicillin days. As Members will see from this photograph Scryabine was not in the habit of shaving his upper lip:

Furthermore his death was indeed a tragedy, since had he lived longer the whole course of twentieth-century music would have been different and dare we say a good deal more agreeable.
Rule 1: assiduously address the what not the whom! Rule 2: shun bad language! Rule 3: do not deviate! Rule 4: be as pleasant as you can!

Josquin des Prez

Enough with the Transformers talk, that movie was just bad, i mean, really, really bad. Elgar type of bad.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Sydney Grew on December 26, 2007, 07:05:16 PM
Furthermore his death was indeed a tragedy, since had he lived longer the whole course of twentieth-century music would have been different and dare we say a good deal more agreeable.

What's disagreeable about 20th c. music?

EDIT: Never mind...just read your introduction...

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

The new erato

Quote from: donwyn on December 26, 2007, 08:10:38 PM
What's disagreeable about 20th c. music?

EDIT: Never mind...just read your introduction...

Yeah. Scary -isn't it?