Scriabins Temple

Started by mikkeljs, November 20, 2007, 04:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Madiel on November 05, 2020, 12:38:57 PM
Which wasn't my question.

You might well separate authenticity. But when people use a composer's name it is with the deliberate intention of selling the piece as coming from that composer. So it's a fair question to ask just how authentic that use of a name is, by asking what state the material from well-known composer no.1 was actually in before less well-known composer no.2 came along.

Yes, that's certainly a relevant and interesting question.
As for the opera, it sounds less Scriabinesque to me. But it is opera.
Musicologists, or even a computer program, would make a better assessment than mine.

Cato

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 05, 2020, 05:07:54 PM

As for the opera, it sounds less Scriabinesque to me. But it is opera.

The sketches are from the 1890's, a time when Scriabin's style was rather different from the era beginning with the Fifth Piano Sonata.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

relm1

Scriabin had one of the most fascinating trajectories of any composer I can think of.  1 or 2 years separates massive stylistic changes.  All are very interesting and good but quite different.  That is part of why he is such an interesting composer because where he eventually gets to is quite individual and frankly brilliant even if how he got there is somewhat nonsensical.  One thing he has in common with his classmate and contemporary, Rachmaninoff, is I've not heard a single piece of theirs even if it's juvenilia that I didn't like though they took different paths.  I wish he had lived longer and created more but I say the same about Rachmaninoff. 

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Cato on November 06, 2020, 08:22:28 AM
The sketches are from the 1890's, a time when Scriabin's style was rather different from the era beginning with the Fifth Piano Sonata.

That's very true.

relm1

Any suggestions on how to approach the Sonatas or recommended path through them?

bhodges

Quote from: relm1 on July 15, 2021, 05:48:37 AM
Any suggestions on how to approach the Sonatas or recommended path through them?

FWIW, I first heard No. 5, by Horowitz (recorded by many people), and then worked forward through the later ones from other artists, before turning to Nos. 1-4. I haven't heard some of the more recent recordings by pianists I admire like Yuja Wang and Daniil Trifonov.

If you're looking for a complete set, the older one by Roberto Szidon (on DG) is quite good, as is the more recent set by Hamelin.

--Bruce

relm1

Quote from: Brewski on July 15, 2021, 06:23:41 AM
FWIW, I first heard No. 5, by Horowitz (recorded by many people), and then worked forward through the later ones from other artists, before turning to Nos. 1-4. I haven't heard some of the more recent recordings by pianists I admire like Yuja Wang and Daniil Trifonov.

If you're looking for a complete set, the older one by Roberto Szidon (on DG) is quite good, as is the more recent set by Hamelin.

--Bruce

Should I think of them as tone poems for piano?

bhodges

Quote from: relm1 on July 15, 2021, 05:09:08 PM

That's a lovely description, one I might not have thought of. Sure, why not?

--Bruce

bhodges

PS, stumbled across No. 10 by Yuja Wang, live at the Berlin Philharmonie in 2018, and she has both tenderness and fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VYX05DopGs

--Bruce

Madiel

Quote from: relm1 on July 15, 2021, 05:09:08 PM

They are sonatas, and as far as I recall they are all in sonata form.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Wanderer

Quote from: Brewski on July 15, 2021, 06:23:41 AM

--Bruce

I second the recommendation for the Hamelin set.

Biffo

I have the Ashkenazy set (and a few others scattered through recitals). Rather boringly I started at No 1 and went through them sequentially.

Wanderer

Quote from: Biffo on July 16, 2021, 12:53:58 AM
...I started at No 1 and went through them sequentially.

I think that's the best way to go.

bhodges

Today found a live 2015 performance (just posted last August) of Scriabin's Symphony No. 1 with Riccardo Muti, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, mezzo-soprano Alisa Kolosova, tenor Sergey Skorokhodov, and the CSO Chorus. (Note: audio only.)

Muti has championed this work for years. He takes the symphony totally seriously, even though it's early, written when the composer was 28, and not nearly as harmonically daring as his later efforts. The assembled forces are magnificent, and those who admire Muti's Philadelphia recordings will likely enjoy this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHzX0AcwRds

--Bruce

relm1

Quote from: Brewski on July 22, 2021, 06:52:22 PM
Today found a live 2015 performance (just posted last August) of Scriabin's Symphony No. 1 with Riccardo Muti, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, mezzo-soprano Alisa Kolosova, tenor Sergey Skorokhodov, and the CSO Chorus. (Note: audio only.)

Muti has championed this work for years. He takes the symphony totally seriously, even though it's early, written when the composer was 28, and not nearly as harmonically daring as his later efforts. The assembled forces are magnificent, and those who admire Muti's Philadelphia recordings will likely enjoy this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHzX0AcwRds

--Bruce

That was fantastic!  I'm becoming obsessed with Scriabin.

bhodges

Quote from: relm1 on July 23, 2021, 04:29:46 PM

Glad you enjoyed it! And Scriabin is an excellent subject to obsess over.

--Bruce

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: relm1 on July 23, 2021, 04:29:46 PM

+1. Excellent presentation.

SonicMan46

Hi Relm1 - if you just want the Sonatas performed by an exceptional pianist, then Marc-AndrĂ© Hamelin is certainly an outstanding recording and is in my collection; now, if you desire a more 'complete' collection of the piano works, then consider Maria Lettberg, also owned by me - I've attached some reviews that may be of interest.  Dave :)

relm1

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 25, 2021, 11:13:12 AM
Hi Relm1 - if you just want the Sonatas performed by an exceptional pianist, then Marc-AndrĂ© Hamelin is certainly an outstanding recording and is in my collection; now, if you desire a more 'complete' collection of the piano works, then consider Maria Lettberg, also owned by me - I've attached some reviews that may be of interest.  Dave :)

Thanks, I really appreciate it!  I plan to do a deep dive into this material later this summer so timing is perfect!