Author Topic: Scriabins Temple  (Read 39169 times)

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
Re: Scriabins Temple
« Reply #200 on: August 27, 2021, 06:22:22 AM »
I've really enjoyed Scriabin's piano sonatas.  Very fine composer.  Any recommendations on where to go next in his piano oeuvre?  What would you say is the greatest of his piano works and you haven't heard anything if you haven't heard ___?

Offline hvbias

« Reply #201 on: August 27, 2021, 06:31:03 AM »
I've really enjoyed Scriabin's piano sonatas.  Very fine composer.  Any recommendations on where to go next in his piano oeuvre?  What would you say is the greatest of his piano works and you haven't heard anything if you haven't heard ___?

Preludes and Mazurkas. You've heard the piano sonatas so that is the best of them.

There are a bunch of less known pieces like the Prelude and Nocturne Op. 9 that are also excellent but I don't know of any recordings of these type of works other than the Maria Lettberg box.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 06:32:37 AM by hvbias »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    19th Century through the 21st Century
« Reply #202 on: August 27, 2021, 06:44:44 AM »

The Preludes are certainly works to hear next. I’m less familiar with the Mazurkas that hvbias mentioned, so I’ll have to investigate these works. Scriabin is an excellent composer and I need to spend more time with his music. The same goes for his contemporary Roslavets.
"When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something." - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #203 on: August 27, 2021, 05:39:57 PM »
Add me to the list of people who think the Sonatas are the peak. In the earlier period you certainly have the Preludes (especially the set of 24 in all the keys), in the middle the op.42 Etudes are notable and you also start getting Poems, but really so many of the other piano works are tiny scraps of things and it's hard to single particular ones out.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!