Scriabins Temple

Started by mikkeljs, November 20, 2007, 04:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

I've really enjoyed Scriabin's piano sonatas.  Very fine composer.  Any recommendations on where to go next in his piano oeuvre?  What would you say is the greatest of his piano works and you haven't heard anything if you haven't heard ___?

staxomega

Quote from: relm1 on August 27, 2021, 07:22:22 AM
I've really enjoyed Scriabin's piano sonatas.  Very fine composer.  Any recommendations on where to go next in his piano oeuvre?  What would you say is the greatest of his piano works and you haven't heard anything if you haven't heard ___?

Preludes and Mazurkas. You've heard the piano sonatas so that is the best of them.

There are a bunch of less known pieces like the Prelude and Nocturne Op. 9 that are also excellent but I don't know of any recordings of these type of works other than the Maria Lettberg box.

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on August 27, 2021, 07:22:22 AM

The Preludes are certainly works to hear next. I'm less familiar with the Mazurkas that hvbias mentioned, so I'll have to investigate these works. Scriabin is an excellent composer and I need to spend more time with his music. The same goes for his contemporary Roslavets.

Madiel

Add me to the list of people who think the Sonatas are the peak. In the earlier period you certainly have the Preludes (especially the set of 24 in all the keys), in the middle the op.42 Etudes are notable and you also start getting Poems, but really so many of the other piano works are tiny scraps of things and it's hard to single particular ones out.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Maestro267

Happy 150th, Alexander Scriabin!

And if there's confusion, 25 December 1871 is the Old Style date.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Fun disc for non-purists.

Scriabin Symphonies for Two Pianos.

Madiel

I always love the kind of "world premiere recordings" that are code for "no-one ever thought this was a good idea".
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Recent listenings.

Kate Lee mostly plays Scriabin's Chopin-influenced pieces. Some of the pieces sound very lyrical and atmospheric while some pieces sound a little tentative.

The Lisitsa is just fair/average- neither excellent nor poor.

I like the Yoon's disc. Some nice performances while I personally wanted a little more force on some passages. Overall likable album.

Cato

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 19, 2022, 02:59:17 PM
Recent listenings.

Kate Lee mostly plays Scriabin's Chopin-influenced pieces. Some of the pieces sound very lyrical and atmospheric while some pieces sound a little tentative.

The Lisitsa is just fair/average- neither excellent nor poor.

I like the Yoon's disc. Some nice performances while I personally wanted a little more force on some passages. Overall likable album.

Do you know the complete Scriabin piano works by Maria Lettberg?

[asin]B000W4E3OS[/asin]
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Cato on May 20, 2022, 04:33:35 PM
Do you know the complete Scriabin piano works by Maria Lettberg?

[asin]B000W4E3OS[/asin]

Yes I bought it at the time of its release.

lordlance

I re-heard Scriabin's Second Symphony performed by Ashkenazy/DSO Berlin and I have to say it's good music.
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: lordlance on July 17, 2022, 05:52:21 PM
I re-heard Scriabin's Second Symphony performed by Ashkenazy/DSO Berlin and I have to say it's good music.

I've always enjoyed the sheer intoxicated indulgence of Scriabin's orchestral music.  The other day I listened for the first time in a very long time to Lyatoshnsky's Symphony No.1 - I'd forgotten just how influenced it is by Scriabin.  You should have a listen to that if you are in the mood!

kyjo

That triumphal finale certainly is stirring - and insanely catchy to boot!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Wanderer

It's very good music.

lordlance

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 17, 2022, 11:39:31 PM
I've always enjoyed the sheer intoxicated indulgence of Scriabin's orchestral music.  The other day I listened for the first time in a very long time to Lyatoshnsky's Symphony No.1 - I'd forgotten just how influenced it is by Scriabin.  You should have a listen to that if you are in the mood!

Thanks for the recommendation!
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.

Cato

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 17, 2022, 11:39:31 PM

On that basis, if you do not know Szymanowski's Third Symphony, you are missing Scriabin's Symphony #6!   8)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

lordlance

Quote from: Cato on August 17, 2022, 06:02:02 AM

On that basis, if you do not know Szymanowski's Third Symphony, you are missing Scriabin's Symphony #6!   8)

I would have given it a shot if it were with a choir and not soloists but yeah no solo vocals for me. I imagine there are loads of "ultra late" romantics with a lush orchestral sound like Bax.

Maestro267

That's a weird take. The baritone plays a minimal role in the symphony. The choir is definitely at the forefront.

relm1

This is such a gorgeous release!  What I enjoy so much about this release is how it sort of summarizes the composer.  You have early music that sounds like Chopin, Rachmaninoff (not derivative but always personal) but eventually dives into the exotic late Scriabin.  It's just so beautiful.

Symphonic Addict

That "exotic" late Scriabin is the one I can't digest yet. I've tried with many piano pieces (the orchestral ones are a different matter), but they don't elicit anything on me and they all sound similar to these ears. Am I missing anything?
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky