Scriabins Temple

Started by mikkeljs, November 20, 2007, 04:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

The link below is for a YT list of Sonata No. 4 by several artists, including Gilels, Nikolayeva, Sokolov, et al..
Berman, Zhukov and Neuhaus sound good, imo. Pletnev is beyond a good/bad dimension.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7uG3nzjmyOBCNxzsS68YXgIzMXfRMGKu

Mandryka

Good find -- I mean the Pletnev. Here's some Rach from the same recital

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU33FAv-jH0&ab_channel=ClassicalRarities
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on December 15, 2022, 06:35:47 AMGood find -- I mean the Pletnev. Here's some Rach from the same recital

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU33FAv-jH0&ab_channel=ClassicalRarities

I will check the Rach. Pletnev is very unique. Especially in the other video of unknown date, he's something else- his music is like a zen master's question. His rendition reminds me of what some people call "Wabi Sabi."

Somehow, the Feinberg sounds attractive to me personally. It could have been gorgeous in a better recording quality. Plus, of course, Sofro sounds wonderful.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Symphony No. 4, The Poem of Ecstasy. Mitropoulos/NY and Chitose Okashiro/over-dubbed 2 pianos.

Enjoying the two recordings. The Mit is very exquisite and exotic. Wonderful performance. Unsurprisingly, the Okashiro sounds very different. It's rigorous and energetic. Sometimes the music sounds ferocious. Unique interpretation. Also this could be an interesting technical/arrangement study for piano players. Great effort.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on November 08, 2022, 07:41:01 PM

Scriabin on opium.

The set arrived at my home, and I just checked Nos 4-6. To my ears the performance sounds languorous. I have been more familiar with sharp/edgy approaches, and I need more time to enjoy this recording.
Also I just ordered the Zhukov 2.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 25, 2023, 02:21:54 PMThe set arrived at my home, and I just checked Nos 4-6. To my ears the performance sounds languorous.

Langueur

État d'âme mélancolique et rêveur qui rend nonchalant, sans énergie.

− En partic. État d'âme dû aux tourments d'une passion amoureuse qui s'exprime par une mollesse de l'attitude ou des regards. 

Qualité d'un artiste qui compose des œuvres aux lignes déliées, fondues, aux nuances harmonieuses. La suavité

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Good explanations. They are the terms I would apply to describe the Ugorski performance.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 25, 2023, 02:21:54 PMAlso I just ordered the Zhukov 2.

If that's the Telos, it certainly is strange. I'm not sure what to make of it, but with music as complex and subtle as this, I want to hear everything.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on January 26, 2023, 10:31:26 AMIf that's the Telos, it certainly is strange. I'm not sure what to make of it, but with music as complex and subtle as this, I want to hear everything.

Yes, the physical discs of Telos. Probably I won't prefer it to the Zhukov Melodya, still it will be interesting performance by the subtle aestheticist.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 26, 2023, 10:29:55 AMGood explanations. They are the terms I would apply to describe the Ugorski performance.

Better in French. More positive!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on December 05, 2022, 01:31:00 PMOver the past week I've been listening to the later sonatas (CD3) in Igor Zhukov's Telos set. I've never seen a good review of this recording but something keeps drawing me to it. When I first started to listen I thought to myself, this is Frenchified - Scriabin through the lens of early Messiaen, the Messiaen of 20 regards. I like it, it's not intense and virtuoso like Sofronitsky or Horowitz, but it is what it is and not another thing.

Zhukov must be the only musician to have recorded all the sonatas twice. That shows some serious commitment to the music.

I got the Telos set. I like it a lot. His performance is gentle, spacious and sensual- diametrically opposed to Horowitz. It's a nice change. Somehow, this performance reminds me of recent Pletnev. Both the players are sort of Wabi Sabi artists.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 01, 2023, 07:39:32 PMI got the Telos set. I like it a lot. His performance is gentle, spacious and sensual- diametrically opposed to Horowitz. It's a nice change. Somehow, this performance reminds me of recent Pletnev. Both the players are sort of Wabi Sabi artists.

I much prefer it to the Melodyia. The Melodyia is more thrilling and angular, but still, this one finds something new, rich and strange in the music. I like my Scriabin slow and sensual.

Skogwald

Scriabin is an odd one for me. I can't stand his earlier music that is influenced by Chopin, but I absolutely loved his last sonata. Is there a great disc that only has his late stuff?

Mandryka

Quote from: Skogwald on February 05, 2023, 02:23:54 AMScriabin is an odd one for me. I can't stand his earlier music that is influenced by Chopin, but I absolutely loved his last sonata. Is there a great disc that only has his late stuff?

Vol 2 of Boris Berman's complete sonatas on Music and Arts. Some people rate Mikhael Rudy's CD highly - I've not listened to it attentively.

Mandryka

Quote from: Skogwald on February 05, 2023, 02:23:54 AMScriabin is an odd one for me. I can't stand his earlier music that is influenced by Chopin, but I absolutely loved his last sonata. Is there a great disc that only has his late stuff?

I forgot James Kreiling's CD, which is worth a shot probably, if you can stream.

brewski

A fantastic reading of the Poem of Ecstasy from Alain Altinoglu and the Frankfurt Radio Symphony, recorded last October. Sebastian Berner is the ecstatic principal trumpet.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Mandryka

brewski

Quote from: Mandryka on February 11, 2023, 01:53:41 AMGavrylyuk Scriabin 5, this guy can play piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axngik7hpvE&ab_channel=MiamiInternationalPianoFestival

That initial attack, heavens, followed by the alternating ferocity and languor. So engaging.

No. 5 was the first Scriabin I ever heard (via Horowitz), and I still love it. Would likely have never found this performance, so thanks much for posting.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on February 11, 2023, 01:53:41 AMGavrylyuk Scriabin 5, this guy can play piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axngik7hpvE&ab_channel=MiamiInternationalPianoFestival

Excellent. Nuanced, and diversified, touch. Plus, vibrant rhythm. I thought that his studio version was very good, but this live version is even better.

The below is No. 5 by Roberto Szidon. Nice, if westernized, performance.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: brewski on February 11, 2023, 03:42:57 AMThat initial attack, heavens, followed by the alternating ferocity and languor. So engaging.

No. 5 was the first Scriabin I ever heard (via Horowitz), and I still love it. Would likely have never found this performance, so thanks much for posting.

-Bruce

No. 5 is interesting because it's at the midpoint between Scriabin's tonal music and his later avantgarde mode. In case, the below is YT list of No.5 I made.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7uG3nzjmyODd53c0TXoFvAl7dpx826_W