How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mozart

I love the cold! Make me jealous with your stories of freezing weather. It is actually a cold night for Baja California, it is 8 degrees c now, almost enough for a sweater. It doesn't help that my window is broken and doesn't close :)

Lethevich

Third frost so far this season, and delightfully freezing :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mark

Quote from: Lethe on November 23, 2007, 11:29:03 PM
Third frost so far this season, and delightfully freezing :)

About -2 or -3 degrees in the English countryside overnight, so a hard frost outside.

I love cold weather, too. :)

Peregrine

It was stunning yesterday, bright blue sky with the sun streaming down over the frost laden Chilterns and Berkshire downs as I travelled up on the train to Oxford. Saw quite a few Red Kites rising and basking on the thermals, being mobbed by the odd crow. Very chilly in the wind, but a nice, 'clear the cobwebs' chill I thought.

Expect much British contribution to a thread about the weather!!!
:P
Yes, we have no bananas

Mark

Quote from: Peregrine on November 24, 2007, 01:17:41 AM
It was stunning yesterday, bright blue sky with the sun streaming down over the frost laden Chilterns and Berkshire downs as I travelled up on the train to Oxford. Saw quite a few Red Kites rising and basking on the thermals, being mobbed by the odd crow. Very chilly in the wind, but a nice, 'clear the cobwebs' chill I thought.

Wonderful. 8)

QuoteExpect much British contribution to a thread about the weather!!!

We enjoy nothing more than discussions about the weather. ;D What else can you expect from a nation that can easily get all four seasons in a single day?

XB-70 Valkyrie

Gestern war es etwas kuhl (5 Grad), und jetzt ist es 0 Grad. Vielleicht regnet es morgen. 
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

knight66

Quote from: Mark on November 24, 2007, 02:03:08 AM
Wonderful. 8)

We enjoy nothing more than discussions about the weather.

With boring regularity, my step-father resorts to weather discussions within moments of us starting ANY phone conversation.  If we are together he will often give me running weather reports looking out of the same window I can. Mind you I am referring to someone who I caught watching a blue TV screen....because there was nothing on worth watching.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Keemun

Presently 50 degrees F (10 degrees c) and overcast with thunderstorms on the way. 

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Gurn Blanston

It is 39°F (4°C), 20mph wind, and raining its ass off! Not what you would call a nice day... :(

(I'm right there where the little circle with the + is)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Prague & Miami Wind Quintets - Haydn - Hob 2:12 Partita in Eb for Wind Octet 1st mvmt - Allegro assai
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Kullervo

73º F with a nice moderate breeze.

Keemun

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Anne

Four inches of snow in the last 2 days - northern Michigan.

greg

Quote from: Keemun on November 24, 2007, 11:15:15 AM
perfect weather!

at 5 in the morning it's getting pretty cold now, less than 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

Mozart

I never understood why anyone would talk about the weather. Of course I spent 20 years nowhere besides southern California! I lived i New England for a few months and then it hit me, some people actually have weather! It rained more in 1 weekend in Providence than it does all year in San Diego...Pretty eye opening :)

Heather Harrison

While driving through central Utah yesterday evening, the car thermometer read 15F/-9.5C at one point.  Perhaps that is why the deer were at a lower elevation than usual; they were close to the towns at the valley floor, where it was about 25F/-3.9C.  The elk must be more cold-tolerant; I saw them in one of the coldest places.  This is my kind of weather, and I'm looking forward to many more months of cold and snow.

Heather

12tone.

I'd like to travel to Iceland.  A bit scary though.  Wish I could go with someone  ;D

Reykjavik:

Iago

IMO, anybody living in a "cold" climate needs to have their head examined.
As we develop as fetuses, we are encased in an environment which presumably is at normal body temperature (98.60)F. When we are finally born, we are swaddled in warm blankets or other garments, to preserve the natural state of things. As we grow older and presumably more economically capable, we seek warm climates for the comforts of life (vacations and even the conducting of business).

Anybody that professes to "love the cold weather", only does so because in the back of their minds they know that they can retreat to the warm comfort of hearth and home anytime they wish. They really don't "live" in that cold climate, nor would they choose to do so if they could.
In addition the cost of living in a warm climate is far lower than that for those living in a cold climate. (unless you're an alaskan eskimo). For me the most amenable climate is located in the southwest USA. Warm (even HOT summers) gorgeous comfortable springs and falls, and very mild (even temperate) winters.
No snow to shovel, no heavy clothing to protect you from the cold, easier on your automobile and on your heating bills. All resulting in people in far better moods (year round) than those soured by the need to "fight" the elements.
Nobody moves to northern Canada or Siberia for the climate. But many move to Florida, Southern California,. Arizona or Nevada just for that reason.
"Good", is NOT good enough, when "better" is expected

12tone.

Wow.  I'm Canadian and I've seen it pretty cold.  It's pretty cold these days and no one is grumpy.  That's because we're oh...what was it, oh yeah, Canadian.  Do people in Alaska, Norway, Russia fight because it's so cold?  No.  They were born into that climate.  It's what they're used to. 

If you went to those places and were grumpy I could see that because you're used to the warmness of where you live.

People in those places and here in Canada don't get grumpy because 0c isn't weather 'out of the blue'.  It's normal where it should apply.

Come on Iago...

Iago

Quote from: 12tone. on November 25, 2007, 08:48:41 AM
Wow.  I'm Canadian and I've seen it pretty cold.  It's pretty cold these days and no one is grumpy.  That's because we're oh...what was it, oh yeah, Canadian.  Do people in Alaska, Norway, Russia fight because it's so cold?  No.  They were born into that climate.  It's what they're used to. 

If you went to those places and were grumpy I could see that because you're used to the warmness of where you live.

People in those places and here in Canada don't get grumpy because 0c isn't weather 'out of the blue'.  It's normal where it should apply.

Come on Iago...

Yes, but if people in Alaska, Norway  Russia or even in Canada (where you live) could experience the comfort zone which a warm climate (year round) provides, I doubt very much if they would opt to return to the "cold" regions. That's of course if they could afford to relocate and their governments allowed such emigration./
"Good", is NOT good enough, when "better" is expected

EmpNapoleon

I recently learned a method to keep warm from a taxi driver.  I haven't used it yet, since the Chicago winter has not arrived.  He basically told me to relax.  I should try and compose myself when I'm shivering, chattering my teeth, moving around to shake the cold.  As I relax, the temperature of my body will automatically increase 2 degrees.  And I won't look like an compulsive maniac.  Hope it works.