The football (soccer) thread

Started by Peregrine, October 24, 2007, 02:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Madiel on June 18, 2024, 11:13:53 PMI've been a Belgium supporter since childhood.

These days my inclinations between most teams are fairly mixed and I'm not paying that much attention while travelling... I don't LIKE Ronaldo, I just think it's interesting to try and engage with the tournament while in Europe. And maybe once I'm in Portugal I'll really like the place and want to support them. But 7 weeks in Spain has certainly made me attached to the place. Same as my times in Denmark made me attached there. Visiting England doesn't seem to have the same effect...
Hope that you continue to enjoy your travels.  And [please folks don't shoot me here!], in the end, it's only a game.  :) Meant respectfully, as you all know, I love my tennis.  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on June 18, 2024, 11:13:53 PMI've been a Belgium supporter since childhood.

They'll play the next game against Romania, so we'll be foes Saturday night.  :laugh:
When I'm creating at the piano, I tend to feel happy; but - the eternal dilemma - how can we be happy amid the unhappiness of others? I'd do everything I could to give everyone a moment of happiness. That's what's at the heart of my music. — Nino Rota

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on June 19, 2024, 12:03:40 PMThey'll play the next game against Romania, so we'll be foes Saturday night.  :laugh:

Well won't THAT add to the fun, especially if Belgium doesn't bounce back.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Florestan on June 19, 2024, 07:01:58 AMAlbania-Croatia 2-2, a very dramatic game, reflected in how the score evolved: 1-0, 1-1, 1-2, 2-2. Albania scored for draw towards the end of the extra-time, by the same player who scored an own goal for 1-2. I'm tempted to describe the match as a Balkan War.  ;D

Well, today we had the Second Balkan War, Slovenia - Serbia 1 - 1, Serbia scoring in the last seconds of the extra-time.  :laugh:

Also, Denmark - England 1 - 1.
When I'm creating at the piano, I tend to feel happy; but - the eternal dilemma - how can we be happy amid the unhappiness of others? I'd do everything I could to give everyone a moment of happiness. That's what's at the heart of my music. — Nino Rota

Irons

England were second best in all departments. A poor performance and deservedly booed off at full time by the travelling support.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 20, 2024, 01:31:18 PMEngland were second best in all departments. A poor performance and deservedly booed off at full time by the travelling support.

That sounds pretty harsh at my end.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 20, 2024, 02:02:53 PMThat sounds pretty harsh at my end.  :(

PD

And yet it's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Denmark were better overall. Much better.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Florestan on June 20, 2024, 02:08:03 PMAnd yet it's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Denmark were better overall. Much better.
No, it's the booing off part that I think was harsh.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 20, 2024, 02:27:23 PMNo, it's the booing off part that I think was harsh.

PD

I disagree. People who paid admission tickets and had high expectations from their team are perfectly entitled to boo off if their expectations were frustrated. Booing off is a perfectly legitimate free speech.

Maestro267

Yeah England were an absolute disgrace yesterday and deserve all the criticism that's coming to them. We need to put like 6 or 7 on Slovenia to wash the foul stench of the last few weeks off.

Jo498

As long as England wins their group and we don't get them in the next round, I am fine with any of their results :D
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 20, 2024, 02:27:23 PMNo, it's the booing off part that I think was harsh.

PD

May look harsh from afar PD but what needs taken in account these players - although I don't necessarily blame them - earn in a week what normal people earn in five years, lauded to the heavens and told by our press repeatedly how good they are. After the first game it felt like the whole country got on their knees and saluted the greatness of Jude Bellingham. A 20 year old boy! No wonder he was crap last night. The manager was tactically outthought which is a recurring situation in tournament football. Spain or Germany will win this.     
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Iota

Yes England were really poor, they seemed listless, predictable and hamstrung. Don't know much about football and have no idea how one overcomes such lethargy, but then neither apparently does Gareth Southgate.