Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

These two (one a video) show what is happening in certain areas of France--lack of drinking water and effect on wildlife:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62436468 " France drought:  Parched towns left short of drinking water"

and  https://ca.news.yahoo.com/french-shelter-fills-drought-affects-125134624.html  All kinds of issues stemming from a combo of heat, drought effecting insect populations and how that also effects other animal populations and so on.  I googled further after reading about the drought in France and at least one shelter being hit with a large number of infant animals due to the drought.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Thanks for those details. Interestingly enogh, it seems that this summer's drought in France was already warned against in the media in May, hopefully that has helped preparations a bit.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 06, 2022, 09:53:29 PM
Denmark isn't quite experiencing the drought reported by many other outher areas in Europe, and affecting the important river traffic on the Rhine, giving severe future prospects for agriculture in Northern Italy, etc. But for the first time ever, there was a computer prognosis model that suggested temperatures above 40 C in DK. Local, all-time registered record is 36 C. Some say that unprecedented drought periods lasting 5 years might become rather frequent, at least in Southern Europe; people have been talking for years about the Mediterranean climate becoming like that of North Africa due to climate changes.

But I'm camping on the island of Ærø, where it has rained much less than average in DK, and locals are anxious about possible fires. It's the harvest season. Right now, temperatures are low for a few days, only 19 - 22 C, but later they'll go up again.
Oooh!  :(  Yes, I was just reading about river traffic on the Rhine (had also missed seeing this posting by you).  Were the inhabitants of that island also reporting much lower than expected harvest or expectations?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

I think the harvest is OK generally in DK, maybe with a few vegetables/fruits excepted from that. But it's practically nothing compared to many other places in Europe. Harvest of wheat etc is about to have been finished now (yesterday a machine  drove by on the field here for less than an hour, collecting the cut hay into packets).

But actually I saw headlines today that both wheat and oil are apoarently back to average prices on the world market, in spite of the drought and the Ukraine crisis. However, some sectors/products will be hit by the European drought, of course, and the Ukraine situation is also still volatile, obviously.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 08, 2022, 11:30:41 AM
I think the harvest is OK generally in DK, maybe with a few vegetables/fruits excepted from that. But it's practically nothing compared to many other places in Europe. Harvest of wheat etc is about to have been finished now (yesterday a machine  drove by on the field here for less than an hour, collecting the cut hay into packets).

But actually I saw headlines today that both wheat and oil are apoarently back to average prices on the world market, in spite of the drought and the Ukraine crisis. However, some sectors/products will be hit by the European drought, of course, and the Ukraine situation is also still volatile, obviously.
I hadn't heard that about wheat prices dropping; I did hear yesterday, however, that oil prices had dropped by about a dollar to (on average) now $4/gallon.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

KevinP

Pics and video are from two days ago, and it's still coming down.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/vs6-onZI9csh]

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

A totally different meaning to Gagnam style.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Extreme heat weather warning here for the next 4 days. Hosepipe ban comes into force in Sussex tomorrow  :(
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

Quote from: KevinP on August 09, 2022, 02:55:27 PM

(...)

What photos, reminding also of science fiction stories like Blade Runner ...

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 10, 2022, 09:57:57 PM
Extreme heat weather warning here for the next 4 days. Hosepipe ban comes into force in Sussex tomorrow  :(

It Ain't Half Hot Mum! Apparently the ban allows watering of pots by hosepipe. It is too hot anyway as roots rise to the surface seeking moisture and then burned. I head for the allotment at 6am and give crops a good soaking (ban not in force my neck of the woods yet). Return home at 9am for a spot of breakfast. Quite enjoying the new regime. :D
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 11, 2022, 02:41:11 AM
It Ain't Half Hot Mum! Apparently the ban allows watering of pots by hosepipe. It is too hot anyway as roots rise to the surface seeking moisture and then burned. I head for the allotment at 6am and give crops a good soaking (ban not in force my neck of the woods yet). Return home at 9am for a spot of breakfast. Quite enjoying the new regime. :D
Are you sure Lol?

PS Yes, you are - just checked - thank you!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: KevinP on August 09, 2022, 02:55:27 PM

Augh!  Are you in any imminent danger?

Quote from: vandermolen on August 10, 2022, 09:57:57 PM
Eek!  Do many people have things like rain barrels these days to help with watering?  And how will it work at allotments?  Do you use a hose/spigot to fill up your watering cans?

PD
Quote from: Irons on August 11, 2022, 02:41:11 AM
Quote from: vandermolen on August 11, 2022, 03:53:52 AM
Are you sure Lol?

PS Yes, you are - just checked - thank you!
I love watering early in the morning--so peaceful.  Need to get caught up with more weeding here.

Pohjolas Daughter

pjme

Belgium and the Netherlands are heading for a "classical" heat wave: more than 5 days with tropical temperatures (= more than 25° C).
At the moment (16.00 hrs) it is around 31-33° C....Possibly we may get a thunderstorm on Sunday or Monday.
But the ground is rock hard and most trees suffer from heat-stress and shed leafs.
last year - july 2021 - the Ardennes, the provinces of Belgian and Dutch Limburg + the German Ahr- valley were flooded.....

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 11, 2022, 05:40:27 AM
Eek!  Do many people have things like rain barrels these days to help with watering?  And how will it work at allotments?  Do you use a hose/spigot to fill up your watering cans?

PDI love watering early in the morning--so peaceful.  Need to get caught up with more weeding here.
We've just bought a water butt (as they are called over here) but since there is no rain we can't fill it up!

MusicTurner

Heat wave here in DK on Ærø island too,  approaching 30 C in daytime. Got up at 5:30 AM, had a swim in the sea at 8 AM, since around noon and in the afternoon its mainly time for a dozy siesta at the small camp site & sunbathing by the sea isn't attractive with such a powerful sun these days.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: pjme on August 11, 2022, 06:06:31 AM
Belgium and the Netherlands are heading for a "classical" heat wave: more than 5 days with tropical temperatures (= more than 25° C).
At the moment (16.00 hrs) it is around 31-33° C....Possibly we may get a thunderstorm on Sunday or Monday.
But the ground is rock hard and most trees suffer from heat-stress and shed leafs.
last year - july 2021 - the Ardennes, the provinces of Belgian and Dutch Limburg + the German Ahr- valley were flooded.....
Interesting re the differences in how heat waves are decided upon; here, it's when you have 3 or more days in a row of 90 degrees F or higher [which would be a little over 32 C for you].  Like you, trees in my area are starting to either shed leaves or are turning yellow due to lack of water.

At least, here, it's supposed to be a bit cooler and more comfortable humidity-wise for at least a few days.

Quote from: vandermolen on August 11, 2022, 06:38:12 AM
We've just bought a water butt (as they are called over here) but since there is no rain we can't fill it up!
I should get one or two of those myself.

One thing that one can do (though it might be a bit awkward?) is to collect the clean water that you waste when you're doing things like waiting for the faucet water to heat up...perhaps in a bucket or bottle?  And use that for watering plants.
Quote from: MusicTurner on August 11, 2022, 07:56:46 AM
Heat wave here in DK on Ærø island too,  approaching 30 C in daytime. Got up at 5:30 AM, had a swim in the sea at 8 AM, since around noon and in the afternoon its mainly time for a dozy siesta at the small camp site & sunbathing by the sea isn't attractive with such a powerful sun these days.
Sounds like a plan!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

KevinP

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 11, 2022, 05:40:27 AM

Although only about a little more than an hour north of me, we got virtually no rain until I think their third day of rain. After it started, we got a lot of rain, and one tunnel was closed due to the flood, but overall, nothing like what they got in Seoul.

Jo498

The weather here has been about perfect for a week or so. While it's very/too dry (so no open fires allowed) this is mostly an accumulative effect of several dry years, including comparably dry winters/springs.
But this summer weather is almost exactly like I remember from summers of my childhood: Sunny, light breeze, up to ca. 28°C but cooling down to 13-15° during the night, feeling hot in the sun but very pleasant in the shade.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal