How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 15, 2022, 11:05:13 AM
Interesting stories!  Must have been great to have been there and met those fascinating and talented people!  :)

Thanks, and yes it was, I was very lucky.  :)

Oh, God, I hope that you don't flash floods; they don't help anyone...short of helping reservoirs.  Much better to get some steady but gentle rains.

That's very true, what we need is some steady, sustained rain to recover from the drought, but I'm not sure any is exactly on the horizon, alas. And yes, flooding, even the non life-threatening kind, can be very traumatic indeed and destroy lives/livelihoods, let's hope we come through not too badly affected.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 15, 2022, 10:11:27 AM
How's it going so far with the hosepipe ban?

Still bone-dry here alas.  Watering daily though at least the temps have dropped somewhat--which is a nice relief.

PD
Well, you can apparently still water potted plants using the hosepipe but otherwise it's the watering can for the flower beds etc. It's expected to storm here over the next couple of days so hopefully we'll get some rain...finally.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

(...)
I don't know those mountains but it sounds like a nice place to be.  :)
I enjoy watching the tiny bit of nature that comes through there.  It's more of a sunny vs. shady garden which has its downfalls when it's really hot and sunny outside.  I do like having a bit of space for growing some tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, etc. though.  I have lots of basil which I had make better use of soon (drying some and making pesto, etc. with the fresh).  Mornings, I love being out there and enjoying the (mostly) stillness.

PD

Mussorgsky's Night on a Bald Mountain takes place on the highest point in the Harz, the Brocken, famous for gatherings of witches! Nowadays, you can go up there by a museum railway.

Have been thinking of modestly get some indoor herbs etc at home, but a real garden's harvest must be fun and surely more plentiful ...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 15, 2022, 11:48:59 AM
Mussorgsky's Night on a Bald Mountain takes place on the highest point in the Harz, the Brocken, famous for gatherings of witches! Nowadays, you can go up there by a museum railway.

Have been thinking of modestly get some indoor herbs etc at home, but a real garden's harvest must be fun and surely more plentiful ...
Oh, neat re the Mussorgsky link!  :)

If you like to cook, they are very nice to have.  I'll have to start cooking eggplants soon.  These guys are coming in now...will perhaps cook some for dinner tonight?  https://www.sunnyvalegarden.com/vegetables/fairy-tale-eggplant/

Quote from: ultralinear on August 15, 2022, 12:41:48 PM
I read that bit about pot plants in a number of news reports, but couldn't find any mention of it when I checked the South East Water website dealing with the hosepipe ban, which seems pretty explicit about every use of hosepipe being banned except those listed as exemptions.  Perhaps it varies from supplier to supplier. :-\

The emphasis on hosepipes as Satan's water delivery method does verge on the comical.  As I read it, you can pump water into your Olympic-size swimming pool all day long provided it's plumbed in, but use a hose for 5 minutes to top up a paddling pool and God help you. ::)
That seems strange (re pools)!

I did take a look at South East Water's website--their Q&A re rules on what is allowed and what isn't.  From what I read, you can water your garden if you have a fixed drip irrigation system set up [See their website for further info/restrictions/requirements.]  Perhaps folks who have allotments could work out a system re signing up for watering times--for those who are willing to set up a drip irrigation system in their gardens?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 16, 2022, 07:15:34 AM
Oh, neat re the Mussorgsky link!  :)

If you like to cook, they are very nice to have.  I'll have to start cooking eggplants soon.  These guys are coming in now...will perhaps cook some for dinner tonight?  https://www.sunnyvalegarden.com/vegetables/fairy-tale-eggplant/
That seems strange (re pools)!

I did take a look at South East Water's website--their Q&A re rules on what is allowed and what isn't.  From what I read, you can water your garden if you have a fixed drip irrigation system set up [See their website for further info/restrictions/requirements.]  Perhaps folks who have allotments could work out a system re signing up for watering times--for those who are willing to set up a drip irrigation system in their gardens?

PD

Ah, we call them aubergines, they're quite popular here, and generally easy to prepare. My understanding is that they are grown outdoors, or in conservatories. Indoor, it's mostly herbs and tomatoes that are popular here, but there's no doubt a lot of alternatives too.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 16, 2022, 07:51:42 AM
Ah, we call them aubergines, they're quite popular here, and generally easy to prepare. My understanding is that they are grown outdoors, or in conservatories. Indoor, it's mostly herbs and tomatoes that are popular here, but there's no doubt a lot of alternatives too.
Sorry, I had forgotten that you call them aubergines when typing my post.  ;D

Recently, i found a recipe for a grilled dish using that particular variety.  I have everything to make it (including a too-big rosemary plant).  https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/grilled-fairy-tale-eggplant-with-rosemary-garlic-oil 

A favorite of mine to make with eggplant is baba ghanoush (sp?).  A yummy Middle Eastern dip.  :)  I use a larger variety of eggplant for that one though.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 16, 2022, 08:07:59 AM
Sorry, I had forgotten that you call them aubergines when typing my post.  ;D

Recently, i found a recipe for a grilled dish using that particular variety.  I have everything to make it (including a too-big rosemary plant).  https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/grilled-fairy-tale-eggplant-with-rosemary-garlic-oil 

A favorite of mine to make with eggplant is baba ghanoush (sp?).  A yummy Middle Eastern dip.  :)  I use a larger variety of eggplant for that one though.

PD

That sounds tasty. Ordinary cooking here is using a lot of potatoes (not that we haven't gad a huge influx of food from abroad), but eggplants are of course one fine alternative, among many.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 16, 2022, 08:15:25 AM
That sounds tasty. Ordinary cooking here is using a lot of potatoes (not that we haven't gad a huge influx of food from abroad), but eggplants are of course one fine alternative, among many.
Spuds....yum!  :)

If I'm recalling correctly, caraway seeds are often used in Danish and Swedish cooking?

TD,

Beautiful sunny day here--and thankful on the cooler side.  Some chance of showers over the next few days; I'll believe it when I see it though!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 16, 2022, 08:27:37 AM
Spuds....yum!  :)

If I'm recalling correctly, caraway seeds are often used in Danish and Swedish cooking?

TD,

Beautiful sunny day here--and thankful on the cooler side.  Some chance of showers over the next few days; I'll believe it when I see it though!

PD

We use it a bit, but not so much I think, compared to some other herbs and spices. Most common usage is probably in cheeses, akvavit and breads, less in hot dishes ...

Karl Henning

U.S. announces more water cuts as Colorado River hits dire lows
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 16, 2022, 03:05:40 PM
U.S. announces more water cuts as Colorado River hits dire lows
This is really bad.  :(

Apparently, from one article that I read (CNN?), the water was divvied up between states a hundred of years ago but during an abnormally wet period.  The Feds might have to step in if the states can't work out things between themselves.  Note:  Mexico was also included in the agreement too.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/16/us/colorado-river-water-cuts-lake-mead-negotiations-climate/index.html

I just heard that London is currently getting hammered with strong rains?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Tangential to the gist of the thread: my sister in Tennessee reports that the Volunteer State is being infested with Armadillos

Armadillos Take Over Tennessee
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 17, 2022, 10:22:52 AM
Tangential to the gist of the thread: my sister in Tennessee reports that the Volunteer State is being infested with Armadillos

Armadillos Take Over Tennessee
*Sounds like it's raining armadillos in Tennessee!  :o

Interesting to read that they are originally from Central America.  I've always associated them with Texas.

*Due to climate change?

A smattering of rain here today....so far in any event, only enough to barely get the sidewalks wet.  :(

How are things in the UK?  Any storms in your area(s)?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 17, 2022, 11:15:33 AM
*Sounds like it's raining armadillos in Tennessee!  :o

Interesting to read that they are originally from Central America.  I've always associated them with Texas.

*Due to climate change?

A smattering of rain here today....so far in any event, only enough to barely get the sidewalks wet.  :(

How are things in the UK?  Any storms in your area(s)?

PD

I saw a few armadillos in a park in Florida, back when visiting a friend.

Here in eastern Mass. no precip today ... agreeably cool.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 17, 2022, 11:18:57 AM
I saw a few armadillos in a park in Florida, back when visiting a friend.

Here in eastern Mass. no precip today ... agreeably cool.
Hope that you get some rain...in an "agreeable downfall format".

Saw some articles on the BBC's website about various flooding in the UK.  When it rains, it pours (It seems these days).   :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 17, 2022, 01:30:17 PM
Hope that you get some rain...in an "agreeable downfall format".

Saw some articles on the BBC's website about various flooding in the UK.  When it rains, it pours (It seems these days).   :(

PD

Too true!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Irons

A friend is a bailiff of a fishing club. This week due to low water levels they set up a party to move fish to higher and cooler waters. He was telling me they stun the fish with a charge from a battery pack carried on their backs. The fish are only knocked out for seconds as they scoop them up and transport them upstream. They came across a huge pike which sadly was dead.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on August 20, 2022, 01:13:51 AM
A friend is a bailiff of a fishing club. This week due to low water levels they set up a party to move fish to higher and cooler waters. He was telling me they stun the fish with a charge from a battery pack carried on their backs. The fish are only knocked out for seconds as they scoop them up and transport them upstream. They came across a huge pike which sadly was dead.
I didn't know that fishing clubs would do things like that, but I imagine that it's better for them.  Sorry to hear about the pike though.

Thinking a bit further on this, I had thought that pike were a big problem in the UK and perhaps elsewhere?  In terms of the damage that they do to the ecosystem (eating everything in sight?)?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Despite a burst of rain Monday, drought-like conditions have deepened across Massachusetts during an unusually hot summer. Most of the state is now experiencing "critical" drought conditions, state officials said.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

OTOH: Flash flood warning in Providence, surrounding areas as heavy rains drench R.I.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA