How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

Naples is virtually on the wall of the eye of the hurricane when it hit.
Damage there is extensive.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

breaking:  Ian recoups strength, will hit SC coast as Cat 1 hurricane.  O joy.  I am pretty inland here around the university in NC, but will still get a little wind and maybe 4" of rain.  (My virtual self is in the Carpathians, Florestan, never fear!)
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 29, 2022, 10:01:57 AM
I have a cousin who lives in Naples, Florida. Not directly in the path of the hurricane, but in the zone where a large storm surge is reported. He stopped posting on Facebook, so I assume his power is out.

Quote from: Scion7 on September 29, 2022, 10:23:47 AM
Naples is virtually on the wall of the eye of the hurricane when it hit.
Damage there is extensive.
I hope that you either hear from him soon or are able to find out that he's o.k.  Maybe try contacting a close relative or friend of his?

Quote from: Scion7 on September 29, 2022, 10:38:30 AM
breaking:  Ian recoups strength, will hit SC coast as Cat 1 hurricane.  O joy.  I am pretty inland here around the university in NC, but will still get a little wind and maybe 4" of rain.  (My virtual self is in the Carpathians, Florestan, never fear!)
Oh, joy [Not really, being sarcastic here.]! 

I wondered where you lived!  ;)  Stay safe.

Trying to get ahold of the wife (of my friends who have a home in Sanibel).  Not certain if she's exercising or trying to avoid (probably yet another) call from a concerned friend.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

I, on the other hand, am right in the center of the path.  But... I'm inland.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on September 29, 2022, 03:52:44 PM
I, on the other hand, am right in the center of the path.  But... I'm inland.
How's the weather and how are the two of you doing?

This morning, I ran across a Facebook conference (which was live early evening yesterday) of the Sanibel city council and the mayor.  They were currently renting some rooms in a hotel in Ft. Myers.  Sounds like they have an action plan which they started implementing yesterday after being able to get onto the island.  They strongly encouraged folks to be patient and that it wouldn't be a quick fix.  Their immediate concern, of course, is to rescue any people who had stayed behind.  They also asked folks to let them know if they knew of anyone who was missing and to contact them--and also to let them know if the person had been accounted for.  Also, found out that World Central Kitchen was on the island bringing food to the rescue workers and any folks who were currently stuck there.  Hard to find any clear photos showing the damage to the island--many photos labeled such are really of Ft. Myers.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Lots of rain but the wind is not bad and it should be over for me by tomorrow.

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on September 30, 2022, 03:42:01 PM

Good!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Scion7

Power has been blinking but so far, no winds of any consequence around Duke University.

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on September 30, 2022, 03:42:01 PM
Quote from: Scion7 on September 30, 2022, 04:47:34 PM
Power has been blinking but so far, no winds of any consequence around Duke University.

Well, in Piedmont NC (about 90 mins west of Durham) looking at the path of the storm earlier, we were right in the center (blue circle) and thought that a lot of wind and rain would hit us (but no and have had power), but @ 9 PM not much at all - missed a bullet, I guess?  Hope for no surprises through the night - :)  Dave

JBS

The NHC page on Ian warns tropical storm force winds (39 mph or more) can be expected in North Carolina for most of the overnight hours (say 3 or 4 AM Saturday), so don't put away the flashlights just yet.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pohjolas Daughter

Thanks for the earlier updates.

How are things looking this morning?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 01, 2022, 03:51:31 AM
Thanks for the earlier updates.

How are things looking this morning?

PD

In Piedmont NC, overcast but no rain or wind - a lot of leaves on the ground but no big branches.  We've lost our fast Spectrum internet x 10 hours - I'm using my phone as a hotspot but slow. The outage is reported on their app, usually does not last this long.  Reminds me of the days of dial-up!  :laugh:  Dave

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 01, 2022, 05:10:35 AM
In Piedmont NC, overcast but no rain or wind - a lot of leaves on the ground but no big branches.  We've lost our fast Spectrum internet x 10 hours - I'm using my phone as a hotspot but slow. The outage is reported on their app, usually does not last this long.  Reminds me of the days of dial-up!  :laugh:  Dave
Hey, I'm glad that you didn't get a lot of rain--though it sounded like you could use some days of gentle but steady rain?

Any internet withdrawal shakes starting?  :D ;)

Haven't ever tried using my phone as a hotspot before.  Think that mine would be able to do that.  Have a question for you when you're back up and running normally again (Don't want to waste more of your allowed data usage).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 01, 2022, 01:26:35 PM
Hey, I'm glad that you didn't get a lot of rain--though it sounded like you could use some days of gentle but steady rain?

Any internet withdrawal shakes starting?  :D ;)

Haven't ever tried using my phone as a hotspot before.  Think that mine would be able to do that.  Have a question for you when you're back up and running normally again (Don't want to waste more of your allowed data usage).

PD

Hi PD - yep, we were lucky - picked up a half dozen bigger branches - driveway covered w/ leaves but that's it!  Power stayed on despite losing internet until mid-afternoon today (fallen trees must have knock out something important for Spectrum to take that long to get our broadband back). Now, back online w/ 300+ Mbps speed - finishing streaming a film I bought on Amazon last night.

We have a Verizon account for our iPhones (older XRs), which includes unlimited hotspot Wi-Fi setup - works but is sporadic and extremely slow, and certainly of no use for using my usual streaming services.  Thanks for your concern.  Dave :)

DavidW

Being in SC I definitely got hit harder, but power outages were quickly repaired.  I mean where I am.  On the coast and the islands it is a very different story.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 01, 2022, 02:20:42 PM
Hi PD - yep, we were lucky - picked up a half dozen bigger branches - driveway covered w/ leaves but that's it!  Power stayed on despite losing internet until mid-afternoon today (fallen trees must have knock out something important for Spectrum to take that long to get our broadband back). Now, back online w/ 300+ Mbps speed - finishing streaming a film I bought on Amazon last night.

We have a Verizon account for our iPhones (older XRs), which includes unlimited hotspot Wi-Fi setup - works but is sporadic and extremely slow, and certainly of no use for using my usual streaming services.  Thanks for your concern.  Dave :)
Oh, good (re storm)!

Oh, that's nice; so you don't run through all of your available data then?  By the way, my question re hotspot was (and I read about it a little bit yesterday):  Regarding wifi password--is this a new one that you have to create just for being able to create a hotspot?  Or do you need to enter your original password for your wifi modem?

Quote from: DavidW on October 02, 2022, 07:46:50 AM
Being in SC I definitely got hit harder, but power outages were quickly repaired.  I mean where I am.  On the coast and the islands it is a very different story.
Good to hear that you are o.k. too.  Any idea how much rain you got and how strong the winds were?

Sounds like Charleston and also Georgetown were hit pretty hard?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 02, 2022, 09:02:52 AM
Oh, good (re storm)!

Oh, that's nice; so you don't run through all of your available data then?  By the way, my question re hotspot was (and I read about it a little bit yesterday):  Regarding wifi password--is this a new one that you have to create just for being able to create a hotspot?  Or do you need to enter your original password for your wifi modem?
Good to hear that you are o.k. too.  Any idea how much rain you got and how strong the winds were?

PD

Hi PD - regarding your question above about the 'hotspot' - when I activated the hotspot on my iPhone, a name was assigned to the network created by the phone along w/ a PW (see screen capture from my iPhone - network is 'David's iPhone' and PW shown) - you'd have to check with your cellular carrier as to the potential cost and data cap - my plan has unlimited data (but keep in mind it's pretty SLOOOW -  ::)) - Dave

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 02, 2022, 09:29:51 AM
Hi PD - regarding your question above about the 'hotspot' - when I activated the hotspot on my iPhone, a name was assigned to the network created by the phone along w/ a PW (see screen capture from my iPhone - network is 'David's iPhone' and PW shown) - you'd have to check with your cellular carrier as to the potential cost and data cap - my plan has unlimited data (but keep in mind it's pretty SLOOOW -  ::)) - Dave
Thanks Dave.  It looks like it could be handy in an emergency.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 02, 2022, 09:02:52 AM

PD

Yup and Myrtle Beach and the islands.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on October 03, 2022, 05:18:12 PM
Yup and Myrtle Beach and the islands.
:(   :'(

How many people are still without power in your state and any idea how many homes were destroyed....businesses?

It's also hard to imagine how much wildlife and ecosystems have been damaged too.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter