How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Amazed to hear that they've repaired the causeway to Sanibel Island!  At least so much so that they (emergency workers, etc.) can drive onto the island.  I would have thought that that would have taken much much longer.

https://news.yahoo.com/sanibel-causeway-intact-again-trucks-223352131.html

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DaveF

Just thinking, from our mild, damp, offshore island, of you guys in the US and what you may be enduring at the moment.  Stay safe and warm, all.

"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DaveF on December 22, 2022, 11:53:58 PMJust thinking, from our mild, damp, offshore island, of you guys in the US and what you may be enduring at the moment.  Stay safe and warm, all.

Thank you Dave!  😘

Rainy here at the moment (and windy); hopefully, the power won't go out.

Happy Holidays to you!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

krummholz

Thank you Dave!

Also sitting on pins and needles here waiting for the power to go out... so far the winds have been fairly tame here, peaking at 13 kts, but at the nearby airport I recently heard 33 kt gusts reported on the ASOS. I'm in a fairly sheltered location, but damage to central distribution hubs could still knock out power area-wide. The temperature is also coming up, currently at 5º C after a low of -3.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: krummholz on December 23, 2022, 03:57:25 AMThank you Dave!

Also sitting on pins and needles here waiting for the power to go out... so far the winds have been fairly tame here, peaking at 13 kts, but at the nearby airport I recently heard 33 kt gusts reported on the ASOS. I'm in a fairly sheltered location, but damage to central distribution hubs could still knock out power area-wide. The temperature is also coming up, currently at 5º C after a low of -3.
I understand the feeling.  Fingers crossed for you.

Happy Holidays!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

VonStupp

Our temps are currently -9° (-23° C) with sustained wind chills now at -36° (-38° C). Shovelled yesterday, but today we are staying inside!

Hope everyone else fares well with this extreme weather pattern.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Currently staying in Colombia. Its 25c today- a little hot. Enjoying beer and fried fish.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 23, 2022, 07:42:39 AMCurrently staying in Colombia. Its 25c today- a little hot. Enjoying beer and fried fish.
That sounds like a lovely temp!  And sounds like life is good for you too.  Are you visiting friends or family (or both)?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

I'm in Watertown.

I did manage to get some shopping done for groceries. Tomorrow there will be Thai delivery and perhaps a suitable holiday movie.

OK, maybe not that.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

vandermolen

My daughter's just arrived in Toronto (to visit her in-laws) in time for The Great Storm. It's not been great here either with no water for several days following water mains bursts. Than goodness the water came back on today.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 23, 2022, 03:22:57 PMMy daughter's just arrived in Toronto (to visit her in-laws) in time for The Great Storm. It's not been great here either with no water for several days following water mains bursts. Than goodness the water came back on today.
No fun!  Glad that the water is running again.

And trust that she packed a lot of warm clothing?

Bitterly cold here. :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 24, 2022, 02:00:15 AMNo fun!  Glad that the water is running again.

And trust that she packed a lot of warm clothing?

Bitterly cold here. :(

PD
Update:  Had a pleasant surprise when I opened the curtains this morning...snow!  Not a ton, but enough to turn things a pristine white.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Daverz

28C and sunny here in inland San Diego.  There are some compensations for the ridiculous cost of living here.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 24, 2022, 08:28:19 AMUpdate:  Had a pleasant surprise when I opened the curtains this morning...snow!  Not a ton, but enough to turn things a pristine white.  :)

PD

Reading in jaw-dropping amazement at the temperatures parts of the US are experiencing. Some areas colder then the surface of Mars! Picture in our newspapers of a guy throwing a bucket of boiling water with it freezing solid in mid-air!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Daverz on December 25, 2022, 12:22:45 PM28C and sunny here in inland San Diego.  There are some compensations for the ridiculous cost of living here.
Excellent!  I haven't visited there in years, but remember enjoying the beaches.

Quote from: Irons on December 26, 2022, 12:59:52 AMReading in jaw-dropping amazement at the temperatures parts of the US are experiencing. Some areas colder then the surface of Mars! Picture in our newspapers of a guy throwing a bucket of boiling water with it freezing solid in mid-air!
I've seen things like that before on the news...though I don't think that I've ever seen a bucket of boiling water being thrown!

Thankfully, it hasn't been that brutal here and warmer weather is around the corner (Yeah!).  For what it's worth, these cold temps don't normally hit until January or February.  And also grateful that we haven't received the kind of snowfall that Buffalo, New York has received.  And (knock on wood) we haven't lost power.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 23, 2022, 03:22:57 PMMy daughter's just arrived in Toronto (to visit her in-laws) in time for The Great Storm. It's not been great here either with no water for several days following water mains bursts. Than goodness the water came back on today.
How's your daughter and her in-laws doing?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

krummholz

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 26, 2022, 03:17:30 AMExcellent!  I haven't visited there in years, but remember enjoying the beaches.
I've seen things like that before on the news...though I don't think that I've ever seen a bucket of boiling water being thrown!

Thankfully, it hasn't been that brutal here and warmer weather is around the corner (Yeah!).  For what it's worth, these cold temps don't normally hit until January or February.  And also grateful that we haven't received the kind of snowfall that Buffalo, New York has received.  And (knock on wood) we haven't lost power.

PD

Nor here... I think the coldest we've seen so far this season was a couple of nights ago when it got down to -13º C or so - bitterly cold to be out in to be sure, but not extreme at all by local standards.

Still could have been deadly given the power outage, if someone had no place to go that had heat or the outage was extended. Fortunately, our outage lasted only several hours, not days as many of us feared.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 26, 2022, 03:18:44 AMHow's your daughter and her in-laws doing?

PD
Thanks for asking PD. They were planning for a barbecue in the snow last night - so not too badly I guess!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

To illustrate how far this Arctic system stretches: yesterday in Miami the high was 49F, making it the coldest Christmas day since records have been kept (meaning the lowest afternoon high, not the lowest overnight low, although that was pretty low too). The previous record was 51F, set I think back in the 1990s. The high today made it into the mid 50s. The low tonight is forecast to be in the high 40s like last night.
Part of the problem is that a mass of rain and cloud cover lies over most of Florida, plus winds remain coming from the North/Northwest, so not much sun or tropical air to warm up with.

We're about 25-30 degrees below normal averages for this time of year. Not as cold as the rest of the country...but much colder than usual.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 26, 2022, 11:24:15 AMThanks for asking PD. They were planning for a barbecue in the snow last night - so not too badly I guess!
Hardy folks there!  :D  Trust that they ate either inside or had a some sort of heaters there?  Else the food and the eaters would be getting cold rather quickly I would imagine.

Very sad to read about the folks in Buffalo, NY.  A number of people died--either from heart issues and shoveling (and also ambulances having a hard time reaching them), homeless people and folks stuck in their cars.

Also, I read one story this morning about a small family business getting burgled (about $50,000 worth); they called the police but were told that they were currently too busy trying to rescue elderly people.

And apparently more snow on the way!

Quote from: JBS on December 26, 2022, 12:44:39 PMTo illustrate how far this Arctic system stretches: yesterday in Miami the high was 49F, making it the coldest Christmas day since records have been kept (meaning the lowest afternoon high, not the lowest overnight low, although that was pretty low too). The previous record was 51F, set I think back in the 1990s. The high today made it into the mid 50s. The low tonight is forecast to be in the high 40s like last night.
Part of the problem is that a mass of rain and cloud cover lies over most of Florida, plus winds remain coming from the North/Northwest, so not much sun or tropical air to warm up with.

We're about 25-30 degrees below normal averages for this time of year. Not as cold as the rest of the country...but much colder than usual.
Yikes!

How are the citrus and other crops doing?  Speaking of which, I was the lucky recipient of a box of grapefruit.  They were sent as a present to a friend of mines home by one of the daughter's grandmothers.  One of the girls normally juices them, but was too busy this year and my friend hates grapefruit, so....  ;D

EDIT:  I (and my friend) were mistaken; there are also navel oranges in there....yum!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter