How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKB

On Tuesday, high winds were gusting to near-hurricane force, and thousands lost power.

I lost power from about 1400 Tuesday until 1830 Wednesday, thirty hours. It wasn't fun.

As of this morning, about 17,000 were still without power in the area...
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 24, 2023, 04:02:52 PMHow are you feeling Karl?  Are you still experiencing bad Covid symptoms?  I hope not.
Gradually improving, PD; mostly it's fatigue now: I need a nap in the afternoon, but then have reasonable energy in the evening. Thanks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on February 24, 2023, 04:20:14 PMI lost power from about 1400 Tuesday until 1830 Wednesday, thirty hours. It wasn't fun.
I'll bet. Stay safe!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on February 24, 2023, 04:20:14 PMOn Tuesday, high winds were gusting to near-hurricane force, and thousands lost power.

I lost power from about 1400 Tuesday until 1830 Wednesday, thirty hours. It wasn't fun.

As of this morning, about 17,000 were still without power in the area...
Sorry, I had missed your posting earlier.  Sorry to hear about so many people losing power in your area--including you.  Do you have a backup generator?  Was surprised to hear that you lost power as you said that you had underground power lines; I suspect that you were knocked off of the grid in an area where that wasn't the case?  Were you still able to heat your house? Did you have access to city/town water? 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 24, 2023, 01:13:50 PMI read about that (yesterday I believe)!  I can understand in the mountains, but wow!

It's not as bizarre as you might imagine, Coastal California winters are typically cold and rainy. I think it's about a once in 20 year occurrence, maybe once in 40 years.

There's also a lot of rain. It has exchanged controversies, from how will the reservoirs ever fill up again, to why aren't the reservoirs designed to catch this much rain at once.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

VonStupp

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 23, 2023, 10:05:20 AMIce storms are not good!  Glad that you have power.
PD
Quote from: Karl Tirebiter Henning on February 23, 2023, 04:07:57 PMWarm vibes!

Thank you all!

I finally got to work yesterday. The iced roof of our house is making quite a racket, as we will be approaching 50°F today.

The weather talking heads say the last ice storm warning we had was around 2006; so it is not terribly common around here.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 24, 2023, 07:00:43 PMIt's not as bizarre as you might imagine, Coastal California winters are typically cold and rainy. I think it's about a once in 20 year occurrence, maybe once in 40 years.

There's also a lot of rain. It has exchanged controversies, from how will the reservoirs ever fill up again, to why aren't the reservoirs designed to catch this much rain at once.
I suspect that due to the ever increasing shortages of water, that they'll be coming up with some new designs.

Quote from: VonStupp on February 25, 2023, 07:41:10 AMThank you all!

I finally got to work yesterday. The iced roof of our house is making quite a racket, as we will be approaching 50°F today.

The weather talking heads say the last ice storm warning we had was around 2006; so it is not terribly common around here.

VS
Glad that you're back in business.  And right now, 50 degrees sounds wonderful!

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 25, 2023, 08:09:25 AMI suspect that due to the ever increasing shortages of water, that they'll be coming up with some new designs.

It will take time. They planned the reservoir system when snow runoff was the dominant source of water. Now that there is less snow and it is more urgent to capture rain they have to rethink it. One issue is that they can't let reservoirs get 100% full early in the season, because then a subsequent heavy rain will cause reservoirs to overflow and cause catastrophic damage downstream. They have to leave room for potential future storms, which might not come, leaving the state short of water.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 23, 2023, 09:12:47 PMUsually it's in April.  :o
My wife took these on Wednesday.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

VonStupp

Beautiful February foliage! The groundhog treated you well Karl!

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 25, 2023, 08:36:04 AMIt will take time. They planned the reservoir system when snow runoff was the dominant source of water. Now that there is less snow and it is more urgent to capture rain they have to rethink it. One issue is that they can't let reservoirs get 100% full early in the season, because then a subsequent heavy rain will cause reservoirs to overflow and cause catastrophic damage downstream. They have to leave room for potential future storms, which might not come, leaving the state short of water.
It will be tricky, I'm sure!

Quote from: Karl Tirebiter Henning on February 25, 2023, 09:35:38 AMMy wife took these on Wednesday.
Wow, already?!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

The weather is a bit of a question mark here. Snow is expected tomorrow. When I was at PT, they spoke as if we were to expect up to 9" ... which (to be fair) would not be crazy for Boston in March. But I read no such matter from the National Weather Service, where we seem to expect 1-3" tonight, less than an inch tomorrow, and "little to none" Saturday night. Well, we shall see ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

krummholz

I measured 23.5 cm on the roof of my car this morning - about 11". Definitely a major storm, and not made any easier to deal with by temps hovering right around the freezing mark - causing partial melting and making what was a fairly fluffy snow much heavier.

I would post photos but I don't know how to shrink them to satisfy the size limit on this board without making them unacceptably low-res.

Karl Henning

Quote from: krummholz on March 04, 2023, 12:16:57 PMI measured 23.5 cm on the roof of my car this morning - about 11". Definitely a major storm, and not made any easier to deal with by temps hovering right around the freezing mark - causing partial melting and making what was a fairly fluffy snow much heavier.

I would post photos but I don't know how to shrink them to satisfy the size limit on this board without making them unacceptably low-res.
Oof! Hardly anything fell last night. It'd been lightly flurrying all day, but at a guess, less than 4'.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

I mowed my lawn with a push mower for the last time today.  I have a scheduled delivery next Saturday for a riding mower.  At .7 acres, I am relieved!  Right now the weather is perfect (except for pollen) but the carpenter bees are on patrol.  I've never found their lair and I've had my pest service and they also couldn't find them. >:(

btw if you couldn't tell spring time is here EARLY.  I run the ac, the grass is green and pollen coats everything.

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on March 04, 2023, 01:10:29 PMI mowed my lawn with a push mower for the last time today.  I have a scheduled delivery next Saturday for a riding mower.  At .7 acres, I am relieved!  Right now the weather is perfect (except for pollen) but the carpenter bees are on patrol.  I've never found their layer and I've had my pest service and they also couldn't find them. >:(

btw if you couldn't tell spring time is here EARLY.  I run the ac, the grass is green and pollen coats everything.

That sure is early! Carpenter Bees, eh?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Must be here as well, l keep running across these tiny t-squares...

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Tirebiter Henning on March 04, 2023, 01:19:13 PMThat sure is early! Carpenter Bees, eh?

Yeah last year I looked all over for their nest.  I couldn't find it.  I then called my pest control out and they looked all over and still couldn't find it.  Now when there were two there are four.  In a few years I'll just be coated in bees like candyman!

LKB

Very windy here, my power went out about eighty minutes ago.

I'm hoping that since it's not raining pg&e can get on top of it, l really don't want another thirty-hour outage...