How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on June 19, 2024, 09:34:34 AMDo you have central air?
Thanks for asking. Your q. reminded me that I have a former co-worker who lives in the beighboring town. He'll be over shortly.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 19, 2024, 09:45:09 AMNo, and the neighbor who normally helps with placing the AC's in the windows has gone missing.
Augh!  Do you have any fans?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 19, 2024, 10:09:04 AMAugh!  Do you have any fans?

PD
Yes, a kind of "tower," which semi-revolves.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

krummholz

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 19, 2024, 09:45:09 AMNo, and the neighbor who normally helps with placing the AC's in the windows has gone missing.

Sorry to hear this, Karl. Conditions here are similar: 33ºC (about 92F) and no central air, and I don't own a window unit. I am considering it. Due to the terms of my lease, the landlord would have to put it in every spring and take it out in the fall. Not sure I want to impose that on them, given how tight housing is here and the fact that the rent where I am now is *sweet* (about 75% of market).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: krummholz on June 19, 2024, 01:39:41 PMSorry to hear this, Karl. Conditions here are similar: 33ºC (about 92F) and no central air, and I don't own a window unit. I am considering it. Due to the terms of my lease, the landlord would have to put it in every spring and take it out in the fall. Not sure I want to impose that on them, given how tight housing is here and the fact that the rent where I am now is *sweet* (about 75% of market).
Well, you need to be comfortable and the temps keep getting higher.  You don't want to be sweltering and/or passing out in your apartment, non?  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

My daughter is visiting Memphis, Tennessee next week and slightly concerned how she will find the heat which by accounts can be hot and humid this time of year.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

krummholz

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 19, 2024, 06:06:05 PMWell, you need to be comfortable and the temps keep getting higher.  You don't want to be sweltering and/or passing out in your apartment, non?  :(

PD

I *need* a place to live. I don't *need* to be comfortable - and I'm surely not going to pass out from the heat unless it gets much worse. Upper 30s C (or heaven forbid, 40º+) , that's dangerous. Right now, it's just... uncomfortable.

If I lived in Burlington I'd definitely press the issue - they've been having morning lows this week in the upper 20s C / 80ºF.

Karl Henning

Quote from: krummholz on June 20, 2024, 04:22:41 AMthey've been having morning lows this week in the upper 20s C / 80ºF.
Woof! Our lows for some few days have been 72ºF.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: krummholz on June 20, 2024, 04:22:41 AMI *need* a place to live. I don't *need* to be comfortable - and I'm surely not going to pass out from the heat unless it gets much worse. Upper 30s C (or heaven forbid, 40º+) , that's dangerous. Right now, it's just... uncomfortable.

If I lived in Burlington I'd definitely press the issue - they've been having morning lows this week in the upper 20s C / 80ºF.
What about a window fan (or two)?  I had one which I liked (trying to remember the brand) which helped.  They're not permanent and you don't need to put any screws in, etc.

https://reviews.chicagotribune.com/reviews/best-window-fans?cid=650117190&acid=10&aid=1254543415766475&eid=&tid=kwd-78409332712594:loc-4100&ul=103710&mt=e&n=s&d=c&dm=&dt&sn&adid=&k=best%20window%20fans&p=&pc=&ap=&chtrb=1&msclkid=db706d52b9be1cb444500b26f001b729&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Tribune%20-%20Home%20-%20Bing&utm_term=best%20window%20fans&utm_content=Best%20Window%20Fans

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 19, 2024, 11:14:29 PMMy daughter is visiting Memphis, Tennessee next week and slightly concerned how she will find the heat which by accounts can be hot and humid this time of year.
That sounds about right.  All I can think of is to suggest is to get up and out early, drink water regularly, wear sunscreen and a hat, and figure out places to visit (like museums) that hopefully have good a/c.  Sounds like a lot of fun...all kinds of  8) places to visit there:

https://travellemming.com/things-to-do-in-memphis/

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

krummholz

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 20, 2024, 07:32:15 AMWhat about a window fan (or two)?  I had one which I liked (trying to remember the brand) which helped.  They're not permanent and you don't need to put any screws in, etc.

https://reviews.chicagotribune.com/reviews/best-window-fans?cid=650117190&acid=10&aid=1254543415766475&eid=&tid=kwd-78409332712594:loc-4100&ul=103710&mt=e&n=s&d=c&dm=&dt&sn&adid=&k=best%20window%20fans&p=&pc=&ap=&chtrb=1&msclkid=db706d52b9be1cb444500b26f001b729&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Tribune%20-%20Home%20-%20Bing&utm_term=best%20window%20fans&utm_content=Best%20Window%20Fans

PD

That what I'm using now - a window fan. Also a floor fan for times when it's hotter outside than inside. Definitely makes it livable - still not pleasant of course.

Installing a window AC is a little more involved, and it's easier to damage the window frame in the process due to the weight. So I can see their point.

After this heat wave is over I'll wait a couple of weeks for the stores to get restocked and then look around for a unit. Maybe it won't get dangerously hot here this year, but it might happen next summer or in a few years.

krummholz

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 20, 2024, 05:32:34 AMWoof! Our lows for some few days have been 72ºF.

We had you beat last night: the outside low was 23.9ºC, which would be closer to 75ºF than 76º, but still... very warm and muggy. Never got below 26ºC / 79ºF inside, even with the window fan on full blast all night.

DavidW

I'm still in west Texas but checked my South Carolina weather and was surprised to see that the lows were in the sixties. It seems odd to see the north be hammered by a heat wave, and the south be spared.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: krummholz on June 20, 2024, 08:27:56 AMThat what I'm using now - a window fan. Also a floor fan for times when it's hotter outside than inside. Definitely makes it livable - still not pleasant of course.

Installing a window AC is a little more involved, and it's easier to damage the window frame in the process due to the weight. So I can see their point.

After this heat wave is over I'll wait a couple of weeks for the stores to get restocked and then look around for a unit. Maybe it won't get dangerously hot here this year, but it might happen next summer or in a few years.
In that article/review that I read (semi-skimmed through), they suggested using one fan to pull the hot air out and another one to pull the cooler air in.  Perhaps that might help?

In my parents' old house, there was an attic fan which really helped.  They'd turn it on to pull the hot air out before turning on air conditioning [I know that this doesn't apply to your particular circumstances.].  Wish that I had one though.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: krummholz on June 20, 2024, 08:27:56 AMAfter this heat wave is over I'll wait a couple of weeks for the stores to get restocked and then look around for a unit. Maybe it won't get dangerously hot here this year, but it might happen next summer or in a few years.

There are free-standing air conditioners that don't require window installation. They vent hot air through a big hose that goes out the window. Definitely a poorer solution, because the noisy unit is all in the room with you, but no installation issues.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

krummholz

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 20, 2024, 09:34:52 AMIn that article/review that I read (semi-skimmed through), they suggested using one fan to pull the hot air out and another one to pull the cooler air in.  Perhaps that might help?

In my parents' old house, there was an attic fan which really helped.  They'd turn it on to pull the hot air out before turning on air conditioning [I know that this doesn't apply to your particular circumstances.].  Wish that I had one though.

PD

It's been my experience that only the fan blowing the hot air out has any significant effect. The fan pulling air in from outside provides a little more of a cooling breeze if you're sitting in front of the window, but it doesn't really speed up the cooling off process much - I didn't notice any difference except in the room with the inward-directed fan.

krummholz

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 20, 2024, 11:21:53 AMThere are free-standing air conditioners that don't require window installation. They vent hot air through a big hose that goes out the window. Definitely a poorer solution, because the noisy unit is all in the room with you, but no installation issues.

Yes, I've seen them. Some are even advertised to be fairly quiet. But the ones I've seen are about twice the price of a comparable window unit - and big enough to be a problem in this very small apartment.

DavidW

Quote from: krummholz on June 20, 2024, 11:24:46 AMYes, I've seen them. Some are even advertised to be fairly quiet. But the ones I've seen are about twice the price of a comparable window unit - and big enough to be a problem in this very small apartment.

It also probably doesn't make sense if you live in a place that would only need AC a few days of the year.

krummholz

Quote from: DavidW on June 20, 2024, 12:00:35 PMIt also probably doesn't make sense if you live in a place that would only need AC a few days of the year.

Sure, that's what has kept me from getting AC in the first place. But while that may be true today, things are only going to get hotter in the next years and decades. Will I be living here in a decade? Maybe, maybe not. It would also make sense to have reasonable confidence that whatever I buy could be installed anywhere I move. Since I had central air before I moved here, I have no idea how standardized window AC units are.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 19, 2024, 10:06:07 AMThanks for asking. Your q. reminded me that I have a former co-worker who lives in the beighboring town. He'll be over shortly.
Karl,

Was your friend able to help you with your air conditioners?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter