How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Looks to be another muggy day here today.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 10, 2024, 06:41:31 AMLooks to be another muggy day here today.

PD
We're under a heat advisory until 8PM today.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

krummholz

Quote from: DavidW on July 10, 2024, 06:37:49 AMHere in the Carolinas Waffle House is the litmus test.  They are everywhere and open 24/7.

No such restaurant exists in Vermont - there just aren't enough of any specific restaurant to be useful that way (and national chain businesses of any kind have a hard time here due to laws intended to favor local businesses).

In fact, so much of VT is rural, that a map based on outages affecting commercial customers would be fairly useless.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on July 09, 2024, 12:48:37 PMNice! 91° and 60% humidity here. Apart from getting out for some grocery shopping earlier, I've stayed in.
I think that I might write something which I'll call "My love for Thee:  An ode to my air conditioner."

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 10, 2024, 10:58:41 AMI think that I might write something which I'll call "My love for Thee:  An ode to my air conditioner."

PD
This apartment would be a different place without air conditioners!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Karl Henning on July 10, 2024, 11:00:45 AMThis apartment would be a different place without air conditioners!
A sweat lodge?  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Karl Henning on July 10, 2024, 11:00:45 AMThis apartment would be a different place without air conditioners!

That's why, in olden times, people would sleep on the fire escape.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 10, 2024, 11:22:14 AMThat's why, in olden times, people would sleep on the fire escape.

Would they drag a mattress out there?  Or a cot?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 10, 2024, 11:30:38 AMWould they drag a mattress out there?  Or a cot?

PD

Never saw the film Rear Window?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 10, 2024, 12:42:33 PMNever saw the film Rear Window?
It's been a long long time!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

krummholz

Exactly one year to the day after the historic floods of July, 2023, Vermont has been hit once again with catastrophic flooding from the remnants of Hurricane Beryl...

https://www.vermontpublic.org/live-updates/live-updates-flash-flooding-barre-city-beryl?utm_medium=email&utm_source=engagingnetworks&utm_campaign=the_frequency&utm_content=the-frequency-20240711+-+Core

Williamstown is about 10 miles away from where I am, on the other side of a ridge and in the same valley as Barre.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: krummholz on July 11, 2024, 07:22:33 AMExactly one year to the day after the historic floods of July, 2023, Vermont has been hit once again with catastrophic flooding from the remnants of Hurricane Beryl...

https://www.vermontpublic.org/live-updates/live-updates-flash-flooding-barre-city-beryl?utm_medium=email&utm_source=engagingnetworks&utm_campaign=the_frequency&utm_content=the-frequency-20240711+-+Core

Williamstown is about 10 miles away from where I am, on the other side of a ridge and in the same valley as Barre.

So, I am correct to assume that the worst hit areas from last year were also hit hard this year?  Or at least some of them?  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

krummholz

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 11, 2024, 11:34:48 AMSo, I am correct to assume that the worst hit areas from last year were also hit hard this year?  Or at least some of them?  :(

PD

Yes, at least in some cases. Hard hit both years was the city of Barre - Vermont Public interviewed a business owner who is close to giving up on Vermont because of this.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: krummholz on July 11, 2024, 01:22:14 PMYes, at least in some cases. Hard hit both years was the city of Barre - Vermont Public interviewed a business owner who is close to giving up on Vermont because of this.
Oh, dear.  Hard to know what to say.  :(

I looked around a bit and found an article (VPR) about a controversial development plan that the governor presented for the city of Barre...any thoughts on it?

PD

p.s.  How are things progressing re recovery in Burlington?
Pohjolas Daughter

krummholz

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on Today at 04:10:55 AMOh, dear.  Hard to know what to say.  :(

I looked around a bit and found an article (VPR) about a controversial development plan that the governor presented for the city of Barre...any thoughts on it?

PD

p.s.  How are things progressing re recovery in Burlington?

Hi PD,

I haven't seen the governor's plan for Barre - I'll have to dig around. And I'm not sure about Burlington - I hadn't heard that it was especially hard hit this time. The nearest community that was clobbered Wednesday night was Essex Junction, where the Winooski River reached 2 feet above major flood stage. Pictures showed a real raging torrent.

I guess I'll learn today if there are any issues in Burlington - I have an optometrist's appointment there in about 2 hours. I'm going to leave earlier than I normally would because it's been raining here all morning - nearly 12 mm (0.5") so far.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: krummholz on Today at 06:39:48 AMHi PD,

I haven't seen the governor's plan for Barre - I'll have to dig around. And I'm not sure about Burlington - I hadn't heard that it was especially hard hit this time. The nearest community that was clobbered Wednesday night was Essex Junction, where the Winooski River reached 2 feet above major flood stage. Pictures showed a real raging torrent.

I guess I'll learn today if there are any issues in Burlington - I have an optometrist's appointment there in about 2 hours. I'm going to leave earlier than I normally would because it's been raining here all morning - nearly 12 mm (0.5") so far.
Here's the link to the article:  https://www.vermontpublic.org/local-news/2023-10-25/gov-phil-scott-pitches-something-big-for-barre-citys-flood-recovery

Just realized that I was confusing Montpelier with Burlington in my brain!  But it looks like Burlington also saw flooding last year....

Stay safe!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Let's see...it's hot right now. Oh and it's going to be hot again tomorrow and tomorrow and...
"You cannot set art off in a corner and hope for it to have vitality, reality, and substance." ― Charles Ives

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on Today at 07:25:30 AMLet's see...it's hot right now. Oh and it's going to be hot again tomorrow and tomorrow and...
I understand the feeling!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter