How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

A crack of thunder yesterday afternoon that was extremely scary. My wife in another room was momentarily blinded with lightening that lit up the room - the power of nature can be awesome.

I was told this morning of a chap up a ladder cleaning out his gutters at the same time. He shot up in the air as I did but thankfully, unlike him, I was sitting in a chair at that moment! He managed to cling on but not an experience he will forget anytime soon. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Irons on August 14, 2020, 07:20:11 AM
A crack of thunder yesterday afternoon that was extremely scary. My wife in another room was momentarily blinded with lightening that lit up the room - the power of nature can be awesome.

I was told this morning of a chap up a ladder cleaning out his gutters at the same time. He shot up in the air as I did but thankfully, unlike him, I was sitting in a chair at that moment! He managed to cling on but not an experience he will forget anytime soon.

Crikey, I bet that cleaned out his gutters :o.

Pohjolas Daughter

Eek!!  ???

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

I'm glad that your wife is ok Lol.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 14, 2020, 01:56:38 PM
I'm glad that your wife is ok Lol.

She is fine Jeffrey, thanks. We live in Mole Valley and storms often skirt around the edge of valley. This was right above us with a massive single clap of thunder then lightening, again just once, followed by the heavens opened with hailstones. The M23 flooded in minutes and closed.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on August 16, 2020, 01:07:19 AM
She is fine Jeffrey, thanks. We live in Mole Valley and storms often skirt around the edge of valley. This was right above us with a massive single clap of thunder then lightening, again just once, followed by the heavens opened with hailstones. The M23 flooded in minutes and closed.
Hope that the hail didn't do a lot of damage?  Particularly to your allotment!   ???

PD

p.s.  I must admit, I get antsy and jumpy during a thunderstorm.
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 16, 2020, 05:24:40 AM
Hope that the hail didn't do a lot of damage?  Particularly to your allotment!   ???

PD

p.s.  I must admit, I get antsy and jumpy during a thunderstorm.

My garden is heavy clay and suffered flooding in the past. This time it has been so hot and dry the lawn and flower beds acted like a sponge. Great for allotment, as I don't need to water at 7.30 am as I had to do during this hot spell.
Storms must freak out pets and wildlife.

MusicTurner

We've had great weather for almost 3 weeks, following a bad July. The late-summer Danish landscape presents itself at its most beautiful - here it's from the Bisserup coast near Næstved and a beach on tiny Omø island where the sea was warm even on this early morning. Am doing another small trip now in the Zealand region, before resuming work on Wednesday.

vandermolen

Great photos - looks really nice.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

Quote from: vandermolen on August 16, 2020, 11:08:21 PM
Great photos - looks really nice.

Thank you. Yes, and these areas see very few tourists except for a few locals/domestic ones ...

Pohjolas Daughter

Beautiful MT!  And the ocean looks so inviting!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Yes, lovely, and sandy ground in the water too ...

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

A neighbor tells me that a tornado hit Worcester yesterday.  We had very high winds, and were without power for 24 hours. It has only just winked back on ... so I am waiting for my phone to charge back up.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 08, 2020, 01:38:23 PM
A neighbor tells me that a tornado hit Worcester yesterday.  We had very high winds, and were without power for 24 hours. It has only just winked back on ... so I am waiting for my phone to charge back up.
Wow!  Glad that you have it back.  I wonder whether or not Drogulus lost power (doesn't he live in Worcester?)?

Enjoy a nice hot bath and a warm dinner Karl.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 09, 2020, 02:59:09 PM
Wow!  Glad that you have it back.  I wonder whether or not Drogulus lost power (doesn't he live in Worcester?)?

Enjoy a nice hot bath and a warm dinner Karl.

PD

Thx, PD!

Watertown, not far from me, really.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

A nice, unusually long Indian Summer is forecast for the next 7 days  :).

pjme

The Low Countries:
mild weather for the next days, some mist in the morning, a little bit of (ground level)frost  in the Ardennes, plenty of sun: a lovely autumn.

Mirror Image

It was warm today and cloudy, so I turned on the air conditioning which I haven't done in about a week or so. Humidity was up.

Karl Henning

Snow storm coming in late tomorrow night through Thursday.  We may get up to 12"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA