How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

To anyone in the path of Harvey, stay safe! 
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

mahler10th

Quote from: mc ukrneal on August 25, 2017, 06:10:36 AM
Harvey looks ominous.  Here in Glasgow we have a mere pish of rain... :(

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mc ukrneal on August 25, 2017, 06:10:36 AM

Thanks, Neal. To my Texas friends; don't underestimate what 30+" of rain can do! We've seen it before, we don't expect a lot of wind (I don't), but I am ready for 15" of rain. Since I am further north of Houston, that should be about it. If you are south of Houston and reading this from home, WTF?  :o

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Man, nab that Dos Equis, stat!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

cilgwyn

Can't wait for it to rain again. I'll see less of my neighbour! The only downside. Heating bills,and water trickling down the upstairs wall. But less of my neighbour! Heating bills and leaking roof? Bring 'em on!! :) :) :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: bwv 1080 on August 25, 2017, 06:39:49 AM
Im in Hou, not much to see, but the city is stocking up for the storm

http://m.chron.com/news/houston-weather/article/In-preparation-for-Harvey-Houston-gets-boozy-11957142.php?cmpid=fb-mobile#photo-13893779

Remember 2001 when Allison dumped 30+" on you guys, what a freaking mess! If it turns to that, I hope you have some ideas... :-\
Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 25, 2017, 06:45:19 AM
Man, nab that Dos Equis, stat! 

Too late, Karl, me and the girls already have them all. Bwa-ha-ha :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 25, 2017, 06:51:02 AM
Can't wait for it to rain again. I'll see less of my neighbour! The only downside. Heating bills,and water trickling down the upstairs wall. But less of my neighbour! Heating bills and leaking roof? Bring 'em on!! :) :) :)

Are you in a seasonal type of area? Or just having a drought?

8)

bwv 1080

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 25, 2017, 06:54:39 AM
Remember 2001 when Allison dumped 30+" on you guys, what a freaking mess! If it turns to that, I hope you have some ideas... :-\

Yes, but that 30+ was all in one day, this is going to be spread out over several days. 

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: bwv 1080 on August 25, 2017, 07:01:39 AM
Yes, but that 30+ was all in one day, this is going to be spread out over several days.

Well, almost. But yes, this time it looks like a whole week of it, which is way better than it sounds to outsiders. We are one of the best-drained places I've ever seen. Still, I'm glad to have my hilltop. :)

8)

kishnevi

It's not 30 inches of rain, but it it is enough to make staying indoors and listening to music the most reasonable option today
https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/invest-92l-southeast-coast-florida-tropical-subtropical-development

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 25, 2017, 09:08:28 AM
It's not 30 inches of rain, but it it is enough to make staying indoors and listening to music the most reasonable option today
https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/invest-92l-southeast-coast-florida-tropical-subtropical-development

That is always a "most reasonable option". :D  :D

8)

bwv 1080

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 25, 2017, 08:18:18 AM
Well, almost. But yes, this time it looks like a whole week of it, which is way better than it sounds to outsiders. We are one of the best-drained places I've ever seen. Still, I'm glad to have my hilltop. :)

8)

I am 72 feet above sea level, which qualifies as a hilltop in Houston

Karl Henning

Practically the Washington Monument!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: bwv 1080 on August 25, 2017, 09:21:23 AM

Yeah, really! I didn't know there was anything that high down there. Here, it isn't tidal surge, it's rain. It would have to be of biblical proportions for me to be concerned. Now I have plenty of gas for the generator and a few cases of water, we're good for a month. :)

8)

Senta

Quote from: bwv 1080 on August 25, 2017, 09:21:23 AM

Hey neighbor! What part of town? We're on the west side, near Fondren/Westheimer.

Not worried about direct flooding to our residence, just hoping the power stays on, we may be stuck here for a while when everything else floods.

This was pretty funny - no one here likes Chicken and Waffles Lay's apparently -

bwv 1080

Quote from: Senta on August 25, 2017, 01:06:31 PM
Hey neighbor! What part of town? We're on the west side, near Fondren/Westheimer.

Not worried about direct flooding to our residence, just hoping the power stays on, we may be stuck here for a while when everything else floods.

This was pretty funny - no one here likes Chicken and Waffles Lay's apparently -

Im in Katy, our power was out for about 6 hours after IKe, so not really worried about this one

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Senta on August 25, 2017, 01:06:31 PM

It would take more than a hurricane to get me eating those rascals!  :o  :D

8)

Parsifal

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 25, 2017, 01:52:30 PM
It would take more than a hurricane to get me eating those rascals!  :o  :D

Would nuclear conflagration do the trick?

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA