How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scarpia on August 25, 2017, 01:53:58 PM
Would nuclear conflagration do the trick?

You think El Tupé works for Lays?   :D

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 26, 2017, 05:10:58 AM
Zombie Apocalypse.

Maybe.

When is that scheduled, BTW?  I may need to run out and stock up on whatever is left from the hurricane and the nuclear conflagration...  :o  :o

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Parsifal

Silence on this thread has become unnerving. I hope our Texas members are safe.

Senta

I think we're just all in the same boat, completely stressed out :o

I'm sure many of you have been watching the news - "horrific" is an understatement.

Popping by here as we've kind of done all we can do preparation-wise right now, it's just waiting out a marathon of hell.

Thankfully we are on the second floor so our residence is safe, just worried about our cars right now. There are thousands and thousands in so much worse shape right now, cutting out of their roofs being rescued by boat.

In the five years I've lived in this location, we never had water up near us through several massive floods, but this time the bayous are out EVERYWHERE. It's just unimaginable devastation, looks like it will be even worse than TS Allison in 2001, and that was apocalyptic.

SW Houston is under a tornado warning right now, in areas where people are currently in rising water hoping for rescue.

I don't really have any more words for the situation taking place right now, all the way from the Hill Country to Louisiana.

Please take a moment to send some good vibes/prayers/anti-rain dances - anything positive our way, for the next several days.

Scion7

"Oh, there's a flood down in Texas . . . "

Be sure and check your house for rat'lers, coral snakes, moccasins, copperheads ...... they'll be seeking dry conditions.
Probably curled under the Haydn symphony box-sets.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Johnnie Burgess

I am north of Austin and only getting rain and some wind.

Gurn Blanston

Things are nothing here like they are down south. The latest report I saw is that they are now expecting 50" of rain in some places. 50"! That's freaking incredible. It has been raining here since noon yesterday, but it isn't a hard rain, just steady. We had only 3" when I checked it before dark. That's nothing. I just talked to a friend in Humble, which is north of Houston, where the airport is. She says her street is flooded but not up to her house yet. Plus she still has electricity and water. Millions don't, apparently.

Things on the prediction front would have to change a lot here before I would be concerned. I know a lot of people down that way though... :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Scion7

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 27, 2017, 06:10:32 PM
It has been raining here since noon yesterday, but it isn't a hard rain, just steady. We had only 3" when I checked it before dark.

BUT your forecast calls for rain for the next three days (non-stop?)

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 27, 2017, 06:10:32 PM
We had only 3" when I checked it before dark. That's nothing. I

Thursday afternoon, when that 3" has turned into 16" . . .

^ box of Gurn's Haydn string quartet collections . . .

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scion7 on August 27, 2017, 06:21:20 PM
BUT your forecast calls for rain for the next three days (non-stop?)

No, the next 4 days... :-\

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scion7 on August 27, 2017, 06:29:31 PM
Thursday afternoon, when that 3" has turned into 16" . . .

^ box of Gurn's Haydn string quartet collections . . .

No worries, I live on top of a 50' hill, about 75' above the nearest water level. The one thing which would be a problem would be if I had to leave home for some reason. That might be a little trickier. :)

8)

Scion7

It's not the wind, it's not the rain, it's not the tornadoes . . .
it's those pesky man-eating sharks swimming down the streets.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scion7 on August 27, 2017, 06:50:16 PM
It's not the wind, it's not the rain, it's not the tornadoes . . .
it's those pesky man-eating sharks swimming down the streets.

Yup, that'll do it. Between that and those Lays Chicken & Waffles Potato Chips which are all that's left on the shelf, this storm is gonna be a bitch! :o  :o 

8)

Johnnie Burgess

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 27, 2017, 06:32:36 PM
No, the next 4 days... :-\

8)

Killeen Tx is expected to get rain 3 out of the next 4 days.

Scion7

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 27, 2017, 06:52:37 PM
those Lays Chicken & Waffles Potato Chips which are all that's left on the shelf

Use it as shark repellent!

Senta

At least conditions are good for fishing here right now -

https://www.youtube.com/v/qQ2E8o1kahM

Karl Henning

Quote from: Scion7 on August 27, 2017, 06:55:47 PM
Use it as shark repellent!

But . . . what if it attracts them?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

mc ukrneal

Of the handful of people I know in Houston, at least two are flooded in their house to the knee. A third is not responding to anyone, so the hope is that the cell tower near them is down or some other similar reason for not responding (and not because they are in dire trouble). A fourth has some water leaking in, but they consider themselves lucky!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

bwv 1080

Quote from: Senta on August 27, 2017, 05:53:42 PM
I think we're just all in the same boat, completely stressed out :o

I'm sure many of you have been watching the news - "horrific" is an understatement.

Popping by here as we've kind of done all we can do preparation-wise right now, it's just waiting out a marathon of hell.

Thankfully we are on the second floor so our residence is safe, just worried about our cars right now. There are thousands and thousands in so much worse shape right now, cutting out of their roofs being rescued by boat.

In the five years I've lived in this location, we never had water up near us through several massive floods, but this time the bayous are out EVERYWHERE. It's just unimaginable devastation, looks like it will be even worse than TS Allison in 2001, and that was apocalyptic.

SW Houston is under a tornado warning right now, in areas where people are currently in rising water hoping for rescue.

I don't really have any more words for the situation taking place right now, all the way from the Hill Country to Louisiana.

Please take a moment to send some good vibes/prayers/anti-rain dances - anything positive our way, for the next several days.

Glad to see you all are OK,  The flood control tech is amazing, been monitoring creek levels online through the whole storm.  With my house at 117' about a mile west of GB Park / Barker reservoir and about 10' higher than the levee walls, I am lucky to be in a good location.

bwv 1080

what pisses me off is the news reports saying the city should have been evacuated.   You cant just wave your hands evacuate millions of people. The only reason to evacuate is for a storm surge, not potential rain fall. The proof is that while the property damage is extensive, the death toll in a city of 6 million people is less than 10. Would that have been the case with millions of people clogging the freeways trying to get out of town in the unpredictable path of a major hurricane?

Johnnie Burgess

Quote from: bwv 1080 on August 28, 2017, 06:00:45 AM
what pisses me off is the news reports saying the city should have been evacuated.   You cant just wave your hands evacuate millions of people. The only reason to evacuate is for a storm surge, not potential rain fall. The proof is that while the property damage is extensive, the death toll in a city of 6 million people is less than 10. Would that have been the case with millions of people clogging the freeways trying to get out of town in the unpredictable path of a major hurricane?

If you are in a place that floods if you get 4 inches of rain in a day what would you expect if they were forecast is for over 20 inches and now is going to be for over 50?  Tell people to stay and hope it does not happen?