Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Turner

I must apologize if a previous entry of mine gave the impression that I thought the Harvey hurricane wasn´t a particularly serious incident. Obviously it has been proved to be that. The main reason for my entry was the media tendency to exaggerate small weather stories, extremely common in my country too, and the tendency to focus on less important material from the US at the expense of other stories, such as celebrity gossip and recently when an unidentified bag was found outside the White House, literally producing headlines globally just a few minutes later.

Karl Henning

I took you as simply pointing out another terrible and similar disaster elsewhere, exactly for the reason you say:  A lot of "news" air-time in the US gets taken up with the latest Snooki sighting, e.g.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Turner

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 30, 2017, 03:21:34 AM
I took you as simply pointing out another terrible and similar disaster elsewhere, exactly for the reason you say:  A lot of "news" air-time in the US gets taken up with the latest Snooki sighting, e.g.

Thanks.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Turner on August 30, 2017, 02:08:26 AM
I must apologize if a previous entry of mine gave the impression that I thought the Harvey hurricane wasn´t a particularly serious incident. Obviously it has been proved to be that. The main reason for my entry was the media tendency to exaggerate small weather stories, extremely common in my country too, and the tendency to focus on less important material from the US at the expense of other stories, such as celebrity gossip and recently when an unidentified bag was found outside the White House, literally producing headlines globally just a few minutes later.

I knew that. On the subject of Bangladesh, my office mate is Bangladeshi and I asked him what was going on. He says the problem isn't any rain in their country, it is the monsoon rains back up against the Himalayas. They swell the rivers, and the excess water is caught up in flood control dams in India. By treaty, India is able to release this water when reservoirs are full. The timing of the release is ungoverned, and this time they just decided to do them all at once, since there is nothing downstream but Bangladesh anyway. 8 million people may have been affected by this, but they didn't necessarily evacuate in the sense the news media may have given. There is no place for them to go, so they just hunkered down until it is all over and will rebuild. So really, this was more a manmade disaster which would have been an act of war if the combatants were equal...

OT, you probably now know and care more about it than Trump ever will. MAGA.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

bwv 1080

Quote from: Turner on August 30, 2017, 02:08:26 AM

Sorry I was a little caustic, things have been tense around here

Karl Henning

Quote from: bwv 1080 on August 30, 2017, 06:39:57 AM
Sorry I was a little caustic, things have been tense around here

No doubt.  Be strong!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Senta

So, an update:

We did turn out fine in west Houston, cars even okay too, never lost power.

My parents live where right now on CNN they are desperately doing boat and air rescues so they didn't fare so well.

About 4 inches of water in the house, at least they had a second story to go to, it is receding and now they begin a long cleanup.

Had a cousin get rescued by boat this morning (with a baby and toddler!) after water coming waist deep in the space of just hours middle of the night.

Awful! Time to just move maybe, doubt I could get my parents to though (and they really need to), but all the family is around this area.

Mother Nature sucks. If not hurricanes here, elsewhere it's flash floods/wildfires/earthquakes/tornadoes/too much snow or something!

Parsifal

Quote from: Senta on August 30, 2017, 11:12:25 AMMother Nature sucks.

The alternative is worse.

Glad you are ok, and hopefully your family has survived the worst of it.

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you str.... that's bullshit and we all know it.

I knew this song when I was a kid, but it never made sense to me until much later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fpbCLNyPUA

bwv 1080

Quote from: Senta on August 30, 2017, 11:12:25 AM
So, an update:

We did turn out fine in west Houston, cars even okay too, never lost power.

My parents live where right now on CNN they are desperately doing boat and air rescues so they didn't fare so well.

About 4 inches of water in the house, at least they had a second story to go to, it is receding and now they begin a long cleanup.

Had a cousin get rescued by boat this morning (with a baby and toddler!) after water coming waist deep in the space of just hours middle of the night.

Awful! Time to just move maybe, doubt I could get my parents to though (and they really need to), but all the family is around this area.

Mother Nature sucks. If not hurricanes here, elsewhere it's flash floods/wildfires/earthquakes/tornadoes/too much snow or something!

Glad to hear everyone is OK, sorry about your parents' flooding. 

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Senta on August 30, 2017, 11:12:25 AM
So, an update:

Thanks for the update. I'm sure I'm not the only one who was concerned for your safety.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mahlerian

"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Baron Scarpia

I think "bomb cyclone" is what used to be called a "nor'easter", or "winter storm."  ::)

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 03, 2018, 04:46:18 AM
A "bomb cyclone" doesn't really sound very good, does it?

Indeed. It doesn't sound good at all nor does it look good on the radar:

I hope everything turns out well for you and your family, Karl. Godspeed, kind sir.

Baron Scarpia

I don't know, it seems that in the age of the weather channel weather rhetoric has just gotten out of control. I looked at the forecast for Boston. 8-12 inches of snow and wind up to 30 miles per hour. They had to make up a new word (bomb cyclone) for that? It will, however, get impressively cold for a day after that (not getting above 5 degrees F on Saturday). It will be like being transported to Buffalo, New York for a day. :)

kyjo

Not much snow here in Pittsburgh, just cold. Looking foward to a balmy high of 9 degrees on Friday 8)

And yeah, I agree with Scarpia, the Weather Channel does tend to blow things out of proportion with their dramatic rhetoric. That said, it's better that they over-hype things so people are prepared than the other way around.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Karl Henning

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on January 03, 2018, 02:10:38 PM
I think "bomb cyclone" is what used to be called a "nor'easter", or "winter storm."  ::)

Well, in this case it's coming up from the sou'east.

Snow emergency in Boston in effect 7am.  I am sheltering in place up in Middlesex County.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: kyjo on January 03, 2018, 03:49:09 PM
Not much snow here in Pittsburgh, just cold. Looking foward to a balmy high of 9 degrees on Friday 8)

And yeah, I agree with Scarpia, the Weather Channel does tend to blow things out of proportion with their dramatic rhetoric. That said, it's better that they over-hype things so people are prepared than the other way around.

I never go near the Weather Channel (I think it was they who started naming winter storms as a market gimmick).

It's the National Weather Service for me, or nothing.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Turner

Many here have made a habit of visiting the Norwegian weather office´s detailed forecast for Denmark, since the Norwegian www.yr.no folks tend to do it better than our local one www.dmi.dk ... Still, even today´s forecast can be quite wrong from time to time, especially as regards rain.

Not much of a winter here yet, hardly any frost, and no snow ...