How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on January 03, 2018, 02:31:37 PM
I don't know, it seems that in the age of the weather channel weather rhetoric has just gotten out of control. I looked at the forecast for Boston. 8-12 inches of snow and wind up to 30 miles per hour. They had to make up a new word (bomb cyclone) for that? It will, however, get impressively cold for a day after that (not getting above 5 degrees F on Saturday). It will be like being transported to Buffalo, New York for a day. :)

Bombogenesis is a real thing, and there are certain conditions that must be met to be called a 'bomb' (like falling air pressure of 24 millibars or more within  24 hours). On the other hand, the whole 'bomb' thing is often misused or refers to other things in other countries.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

prémont

Quote from: Turner on January 04, 2018, 05:54:52 AM
Many here have made a habit of visiting the Norwegian weather office´s detailed forecast for Denmark, since the Norwegian www.yr.no folks tend to do it better than our local one www.dmi.dk ... Still, even today´s forecast can be quite wrong from time to time, especially as regards rain.

Yes, and this applies even more to me, who live in the northern part of the country.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Turner

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 04, 2018, 06:25:11 AM
Yes, and this applies even more to me, who live in the northern part of the country.

I always double check with www.yr.no, and this also applies to one of my (municipal) employers, when we are to do any outdoor field work ... Both services have forecasts with very detailed, hourly developments, which is a nice, modern feature - when they function ;D Normally however, when abroad, I´d check out the local, national weather office for reliability ... I guess that say in the US ther are many, competing services.

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 04, 2018, 04:55:48 AM
I never go near the Weather Channel (I think it was they who started naming winter storms as a market gimmick).

It's the National Weather Service for me, or nothing.

Karl - stay safe and warm!  :)  I'm watching the Weather Channel at the moment - enjoy a lot of the people out in the 'storms' like Jim Cantore - brother in-law in the Montauk house which is under blizzard conditions at the moment - he'll likely post a pic or two on FB.  The Carolina coastal area is getting snow and wind but in the Piedmont we are just in a cold spell and sunny.  Looks like we are up to 'Winter Storm Grayson' - Dave

Karl Henning

I do remember, Dave, days when I did watch The Weather Channel with the girls, and Jim Cantore and Mike Seidel always seemed to find astonishing storm photo settings  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 04, 2018, 04:54:16 AM
Well, in this case it's coming up from the sou'east.

Snow emergency in Boston in effect 7am.  I am sheltering in place up in Middlesex County.

Nor'easter describes the direction of the wind, with would be from the North-east in a cyclone approaching the U.S. east coast from over the Atlantic ocean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nor%27easter

The current storm seems to be a particularly severe example of this type of storm.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on January 04, 2018, 07:45:44 AM
Nor'easter describes the direction of the wind, with would be from the North-east in a cyclone approaching the U.S. east coast from over the Atlantic ocean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nor%27easter

The current storm seems to be a particularly severe example of this type of storm.

I expect you are right.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Baron Scarpia

Sounds nasty. I hope everyone is hiding inside with a nice hot chicken soup.

BasilValentine

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 04, 2018, 07:51:11 AM
I expect you are right.

Yes, the system moving SW to NE but its rotation counterclockwise so that the winds come from the NE. Learned the phenomenon well when I lived in Boston. Here in the Adirondacks we are largely out of range of this one but look forward to below zero highs for the weekend. Burning lots of wood.

André

Unless they are gigantic systems, the weather in Montreal is generally different from that of nearby New England. The Appalachians stand in between, so what we normally get originates from the west or southwest (the Great Lakes) instead. Sometimes, as has been true for the last 10 days it's a direct onslaught from the arctic north. Our eastern neighbours in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, though, usually get the brunt of northwestern atlantic storms.

Karl Henning

Phase I of digging out the cars was not bad (snow is dry and light), but there was too much work for an hour's effort, which was as much as I could reasonably manage.  Will head out later to finish the task . . . by which time, my landlord may have cleared off the driveway, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Before ....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

bwv 1080

Warming up here, looking forward to the beginning of Spring next month

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: bwv 1080 on January 05, 2018, 07:56:51 AM
Warming up here, looking forward to the beginning of Spring next month

???  Spring starts the month after next.

bwv 1080

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on January 05, 2018, 08:13:32 AM
???  Spring starts the month after next.

St Valentines day is basically the first day of Spring in Houston

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: bwv 1080 on January 05, 2018, 08:17:15 AM
St Valentines day is basically the first day of Spring in Houston

If you are going to go by temperature, there is no winter in Houston. 75% of the year is summer and spring directly follows autumn. For me the most significant thing about the seasons is light. The first day of winter is the shortest day of the year, the first day of Summer is the longest day of the year. Spring and autumn are defined by the equinoxes, temperature not withstanding.  :)

bwv 1080

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on January 05, 2018, 08:24:19 AM
If you are going to go by temperature, there is no winter in Houston. 75% of the year is summer and spring directly follows autumn. For me the most significant thing about the seasons is light. The first day of winter is the shortest day of the year, the first day of Summer is the longest day of the year. Spring and autumn are defined by the equinoxes, temperature not withstanding.  :)

None of that is relevant in a tropical climate.  Houston is subtropical so it's fuzzy and I was just using the term casually, but Mid Feb is the time you start to plant around here

bwv 1080

Was in the high 20s a couple days ago and a much more civilized high of 72 forecast today

Daverz

Supposed to get into the low 80s here next week.  8)

Hollywood

Still no snow here in Vienna. It's raining today but the temps here have been warmer than usual (in the 40s F mostly). New Year's Eve we got up into the 50s F. According to The Weather Channel the next 10 days here will be in the 40s F. In the 24 years that I have been living in Austria, this is the warmest winter so far. Being a native Los Angelino I am quite happy not having to deal with the snow in Vienna.  8)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).