How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: jessop on February 27, 2018, 02:44:15 PM
Currently 27 degrees and sunny. Will probably reach a maximum of 31 by the afternoon.

Centigrade?

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on February 27, 2018, 04:01:52 PM
Centigrade?

Yes, at least I hope it's centigrade/celsius otherwise I would be a block of ice right now

Mirror Image

Quote from: jessop on February 27, 2018, 06:04:17 PM
Yes, at least I hope it's centigrade/celsius otherwise I would be a block of ice right now

Indeed or you might as well move to Siberia. ;D

Hollywood

Here in Vienna it has been very chilly indeed. Today's high should reach 22°F if we're lucky. This is way too cold for Vienna but by next Monday it should be back in the low 40°s F which is normal. Since the beginning of Nov. it has only snowed here 3 times and if it stuck around at all it was only for one day. The last couple of days here we have had very light snow flurries but it isn't sticking. The snowflakes are so tiny you can barely see them.

I'll just be so glad when winter is over. Even though I have lived in Vienna for almost 25 years I still hate the winters here. I am a native SoCal gal where it's pretty much summer all year round. You can take the gal out of SoCal, but you can't take SoCal out of this gal.  ;) 8)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

North Star

It's -23 °C/-9.4 °F (-28 °C/-18 °F with windchill) here and it's cold enough for me.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: North Star on February 27, 2018, 10:29:58 PM
It's -23 °C/-9.4 °F (-28 °C/-18 °F with windchill) here and it's cold enough for me.

That sounds painful

Marc

Quote from: North Star on February 27, 2018, 10:29:58 PM

If only we had your climate.
Every year an Elfstedentocht / Eleven Cities Race.

Dutch madness.
Yet in a positive way.

North Star

Quote from: Marc on February 28, 2018, 02:31:05 AM

Dutch madness.
Yet in a positive way.

Yeah the winter's been quite nice and mild really, apart from these couple of days, and some similar temperatures earlier in Feb/Jan.
Last summer was the coldest in 55 years or so here, not a fan of that..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Jo498

Quote from: Marc on February 28, 2018, 02:31:05 AM

Dutch madness.
Yet in a positive way.

I am surprised that the last one was in 1997. In Germany both (especially) 2009/10 and 10/11 were long and frosty, apparently not enough in the Netherlands. I do not remember 1997 well enough, though.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Marc

Quote from: Jo498 on February 28, 2018, 03:07:54 AM
I am surprised that the last one was in 1997. In Germany both (especially) 2009/10 and 10/11 were long and frosty, apparently not enough in the Netherlands. I do not remember 1997 well enough, though.

In those winters there was a chance, but due to several reasons, a.o. influence of salty sea water, snowfall, et cetera, they didn't manage to realize it. Mind you: the route is 200 kilometers, and there are 16.000 competitors.

So, we dreamt for a while, but it never became reality.

André

You should have lived in the Little Ice Age  :D

Turner

We even had a visiting army of Swedes crossing the sea back then ...

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: jessop on February 27, 2018, 06:04:17 PM

For a lot of people 27 F would be warm. I had to look up your profile, determine what hemisphere you are in, determine that it is summer at your location and evaluate both unit options to surmise that it was centigrade. That's a lot of work.

Marc

Quote from: André on February 28, 2018, 05:09:38 AM
You should have lived in the Little Ice Age  :D

Yeah.
Warming ourselves in the Amsterdam Nieuwe Kerk, with JP Sweelinck playing the organ. :)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on February 28, 2018, 07:29:49 AM
For a lot of people 27 F would be warm. I had to look up your profile, determine what hemisphere you are in, determine that it is summer at your location and evaluate both unit options to surmise that it was centigrade. That's a lot of work.

I am not really used to converting to F when the majority of the world doesn't use it. :-\

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: jessop on February 28, 2018, 02:39:27 PM
I am not really used to converting to F when the majority of the world doesn't use it. :-\

I'm not suggesting you convert, just that you supply the units with the number.

vandermolen

No water here since Saturday morning. Thawing out water pipes have burst. Local water company delivering bottled water to the village and surrounding area. Makes you realise how much water you usually use. Just had to use a fortunately full watering can to flush the loo (toilet) - probably too much information  :o.

Follow that camel!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Turner

Quote from: vandermolen on March 05, 2018, 01:38:00 AM
No water here since Saturday morning. Thawing out water pipes have burst. Local water company delivering bottled water to the village and surrounding area. Makes you realise how much water you usually use. Just had to use a fortunately full watering can to flush the loo (toilet) - probably too much information  :o.

Follow that camel!

Ouch. Hopefully a speedy recovery ...

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).