How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: vandermolen on March 05, 2018, 01:38:00 AM
No water here since Saturday morning. Thawing out water pipes have burst. Local water company delivering bottled water to the village and surrounding area. Makes you realise how much water you usually use. Just had to use a fortunately full watering can to flush the loo (toilet) - probably too much information  :o.

Follow that camel!

Carle van Loo, Vandermolen's favourite painter  ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: André on March 05, 2018, 06:06:52 AM

Carle van Loo, Vandermolen's favourite painter  ;D

LOL

Yes, another undeservedly neglected figure from the arts world.
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kishnevi

1) After Irma, I was under a boiled water order. It is true. You don't realize how much water you use until you can't just turn on the faucet. 
My solution was to half fill up juice bottles as I used them, and stow them in the freezer until needed. Some experiment is required to find the ratio that gets a relatively full bottle but allows for expansion of water as it freezes.
2)Karl, did you have any trouble after this weekend's nor'easter? My uncle in Belmont lost a tree but otherwise had no real problem.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on March 05, 2018, 01:38:00 AM
No water here since Saturday morning. Thawing out water pipes have burst. Local water company delivering bottled water to the village and surrounding area. Makes you realise how much water you usually use. Just had to use a fortunately full watering can to flush the loo (toilet) - probably too much information  :o.

Follow that camel!

Sorry to hear about this, Jeffrey. I hope everything gets straightened out for you soon!

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 05, 2018, 06:46:20 PM
Sorry to hear about this, Jeffrey. I hope everything gets straightened out for you soon!
Thank you John! As the other Jeffrey says you don't realise how much water you use until you don't have any! Hope to be reconnected in the next day or two but the whole thing has been a bit of a shambles to say the least.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Hollywood

Looking out of the window now and it's snowing here in Vienna. This is only the 4th time since the biginning of Nov. that it has snowed here. Of course it had to snow today since it's our regular grocery shopping day. Nothing like dragging our little shopping cart through the snow. Unfortunately we don't have any tiny chains for the 2 cart wheels.  :(
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 05, 2018, 06:41:48 PM
1) After Irma, I was under a boiled water order. It is true. You don't realize how much water you use until you can't just turn on the faucet. 
My solution was to half fill up juice bottles as I used them, and stow them in the freezer until needed. Some experiment is required to find the ratio that gets a relatively full bottle but allows for expansion of water as it freezes.
2)Karl, did you have any trouble after this weekend's nor'easter? My uncle in Belmont lost a tree but otherwise had no real problem.

Not by us;  the coast was a different matter (I saw a photo of the Aquarium T stop at the end of State Street under water).  Trees down here and there all over, though none of them interfered with my own movements.

We were fine power-wise, as well;  a number of my friends here and there, though, suffered outages, some of them prolonged.

Now, Wednesday night we seem to be expecting up to 8" of the nasty wet sort of snow.  Thursday may prove interesting . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 06, 2018, 01:11:36 AM
Now, Wednesday night we seem to be expecting up to 8" of the nasty wet sort of snow.  Thursday may prove interesting . . . .

In the event (and, there is still a light snow falling) we have more than a foot, and yes, wet and heavy.  Too much to try to move, and then get to church tonight, so I've canceled choir rehearsal.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Before the night is through, we shall see almost two feet of snow.  So I am not sure what to expect tomorrow morning, either (in terms of clean-up, reliability of public transportation, &c.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 13, 2018, 05:44:57 AM
Before the night is through, we shall see almost two feet of snow.  So I am not sure what to expect tomorrow morning, either (in terms of clean-up, reliability of public transportation, &c.)

Keep safe Karl.

The water is back on here and the water company is giving us £100 off our bills.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on March 13, 2018, 06:39:30 AM
Keep safe Karl.

The water is back on here and the water company is giving us £100 off our bills.

Thank goodness you've got water back!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mahlerian

Best of luck to you and your family!
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 13, 2018, 06:41:41 AM
Thank goodness you've got water back!

Was off, in the end for four days. Came back very late on last Tuesday. One of my work colleagues was cut off until Sunday this week.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on March 13, 2018, 06:43:55 AM
Was off, in the end for four days. Came back very late on last Tuesday. One of my work colleagues was cut off until Sunday this week.

How trying!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

kishnevi

My cousin was visiting here in Florida this past week, and scheduled to fly back today (Tuesday) to Boston.   She reported on Facebook this morning that not only was her flight cancelled, but the first available flight will not be until Friday!

Karl Henning

It's a mess.  Most of my work yesterday was rebooking/cancelling travel.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Since today, anyway, I can enjoy it from homey comfort — it's a beautiful day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 13, 2018, 09:42:42 AM
Since today, anyway, I can enjoy it from homey comfort — it's a beautiful day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Beautiful picture.

NikF

I came through to Glasgow for a concert this afternoon (a chamber recital - ' Celebrating Debussy'- which was good and  8) ) and found that it has snowed again. At the moment I'm temporarily using crutches and so navigating the snow and ice from door to taxi and then taxi to concert hall was a thrill. It now seems to be alternating between snow and hail, although the most recent forecast promises more pleasant weather.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".