How is the weather?

Started by Mozart, November 23, 2007, 11:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

The high was 60F today.  I hate cold weather!

vandermolen

Snow again here is SE England.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: NikF on March 18, 2018, 09:08:48 AM
I came through to Glasgow for a concert this afternoon (a chamber recital - ' Celebrating Debussy'- which was good and  8) ) and found that it has snowed again. At the moment I'm temporarily using crutches and so navigating the snow and ice from door to taxi and then taxi to concert hall was a thrill. It now seems to be alternating between snow and hail, although the most recent forecast promises more pleasant weather.

Sorry to hear constant irritation of the weather, but glad you enjoyed that Debussy chamber concert. 8) That had to be thrilling. Do you remember who the musicians were and what pieces they performed? If I ever heard his Sonata for Flute, Viola, & Harp live, I'd probably faint. Not because of horror but because the music is not of this earth and I doubt I could even bear it. :)

NikF

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 18, 2018, 02:53:53 PM
Sorry to hear constant irritation of the weather, but glad you enjoyed that Debussy chamber concert. 8) That had to be thrilling. Do you remember who the musicians were and what pieces they performed? If I ever heard his Sonata for Flute, Viola, & Harp live, I'd probably faint. Not because of horror but because the music is not of this earth and I doubt I could even bear it. :)

Thanks. Yeah, it was well worth going out and getting there. A great Sunday afternoon.

They're all musicians from the RSNO and/or The Royal Academy.

Katherine Bryan - Flute
Scott Mitchell - Piano
John Cushing - Clarinet
Tom Dunn - Viola
Pippa Tunnell - Harp

Debussy: Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune
Debussy: Sonata for Flute, Viola and Harp  8)
Ravel: Piece en Forme de Habanera (transcr. Larde)
Debussy: Syrinx
Debussy: Petite Suite for Flute, Clarinet and Piano
Debussy: Il pleure dans mon coeur
Debussy: Bilitis
Messiaen: La Merle Noir
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Karl Henning

Quite a stretch of bitter cold here in greater Boston.  Presently 22°, and that is a good bit warmer than the low overnight . . . .

Edit :: minor typo / I blame autocorrect
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

NikF

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 19, 2018, 04:04:00 AM
Quite a stretch of bitter cold here in greater Boston.  Presently 22°, and that is a good bit warmer than the low overnight . . . .

^
Hats, coats and scarves and then more hats, coats and scarves for you and yours.

Meanwhile, this morning our local weatherman Irving Berlin says -
Blue skies smilin' at me,
Nothin' but blue skies, do I see.

Now, if it can stay that way until tomorrow for the first recital of the Preludes & Fugues of Bach and Shostakovich series, and then until I'm back in Embro afterwards, it will be cool and good.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Turner

Still freezing here, later in Spring than usual, but sunny and not much wind. I have some outdoor work, but generally it's ok, however I forgot to wear two pairs of socks when out this morning ... ❄️

Mirror Image

Quote from: NikF on March 18, 2018, 03:25:43 PM
Thanks. Yeah, it was well worth going out and getting there. A great Sunday afternoon.

They're all musicians from the RSNO and/or The Royal Academy.

Katherine Bryan - Flute
Scott Mitchell - Piano
John Cushing - Clarinet
Tom Dunn - Viola
Pippa Tunnell - Harp

Debussy: Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune
Debussy: Sonata for Flute, Viola and Harp  8)
Ravel: Piece en Forme de Habanera (transcr. Larde)
Debussy: Syrinx
Debussy: Petite Suite for Flute, Clarinet and Piano
Debussy: Il pleure dans mon coeur
Debussy: Bilitis
Messiaen: La Merle Noir

Awesome, program! A Debussyian dream. :)

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Back to the weather channel  :D

-10 C here (14F), with a chill factor of -16 (3F). Just back from walking the dogs, rosy cheeks but well energised  :D

Karl Henning

Quote from: André on March 19, 2018, 06:58:52 AM

Back to the weather channel  :D

-10 C here (14F), with a chill factor of -16 (3F). Just back from walking the dogs, rosy cheeks but well energised  :D

It rather felt like that, the time I was there for a visit!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

'Tis a bright, sunny day, so I had to get out for a walk on my lunch break.  But, gosh, it is cold out there.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 19, 2018, 07:28:27 AM
It rather felt like that, the time I was there for a visit!

Indeed, it was very cold. But was it in March ?

Daverz

Same temperature here...in Celsius  8)

kishnevi

Here in in SoFla, after being unseasonably cool for most of last week, it was unseasonably hot today...high roughly 90F.

Meanwhile, a local DC politician has revealed the ugly truth, then eventually retracted
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/379056-dc-councilman-apologizes-for-promoting-conspiracy-theory-that/

BasilValentine

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 19, 2018, 05:06:31 PM
Here in in SoFla, after being unseasonably cool for most of last week, it was unseasonably hot today...high roughly 90F.

Meanwhile, a local DC politician has revealed the ugly truth, then eventually retracted
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/379056-dc-councilman-apologizes-for-promoting-conspiracy-theory-that/

Here in my corner of the Adirondack Park at 1,100ft., the snow cover has been holding at about a foot. I've been getting out most days on snow shoes. Below freezing day and night for the last week with just a few hours above. Intense sunlight today with reflection off the snow. Gorgeous weather but — running out of fire wood.

Karl Henning

I am not at all sorry to report that the snow was a non-event here in Boston (though highly bothersome in New Jersey and NYC).

The customary reliability of the NWS does not change the fact that the weather can be volatile.  And with global warming, the volatility will only increase, I suppose.  So . . . even though, when I hit the hay last night, we were still led to expect 7-11" of snow, I am relieved that we are looking at <2" of wet snow, which will wash away in the change to rain mid-afternoon.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

NikF

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 22, 2018, 04:52:35 AM
I am not at all sorry to report that the snow was a non-event here in Boston (though highly bothersome in New Jersey and NYC).

The customary reliability of the NWS does not change the fact that the weather can be volatile.  And with global warming, the volatility will only increase, I suppose.  So . . . even though, when I hit the hay last night, we were still led to expect 7-11" of snow, I am relieved that we are looking at <2" of wet snow, which will wash away in the change to rain mid-afternoon.

Good stuff. I suppose the volatile weather will eventually become something we all learn to live with. People are good at adapting.

It's back to the usual rain here. So my journey home should proceed with nary a hitch, impediment, and not even a soupçon of a snag.

André

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 22, 2018, 04:52:35 AM

My Wednesday morning flight to North Carolina was canceled due to that non-event. United rebooked me for late evening. I was in Raleigh a midnight   >:(. Weather here is nice. No snow cover, sunny with temperatures in the mid fifties (10 C).

mc ukrneal

Best to all our friends who may be in the path of the incoming Florence. It looks like it will be a whopper. I hope SonicDave and anyone else who may be in the vicinity will stay safe.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!